• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Insuring your Elgrand

Just got quotes to insure Elgrand I rang direct line it had all the extras apart from breakdown cover and came in at £200.48
there was Voluntary £250 Compulsory £250 Excess ,so I asked how much would it be if I reduced the voluntary excess he took it all off and it was only £7.00 more so came out at £207.48 so its worth asking.
keep safe :)

Such a lottery! For the last few years I have had good results with quotemehappy. Have 2 cars with them and first time I've ever had my premiums go down year after year!

Just renewed with Direct Line, late 2004 HWS, 3.5, 5k/yr, Stainless Exhaust, 50 years with 9+ No Claims, they wanted £286 that is up from £218 for the ‘98 E50, 3.2 I had for 8 months of last year, that went up to £253 in total for the E51 for 4 months.
So I phoned up and asked why it had gone up, seeing as I had made no claims and please could he see if there was anything that could be done on the price?
£212, £0 Voluntary Excess, Protected No Claims and 90 day courtesy car.
Thank you very much! 😁

Just done mine with Churchill they seemed OK and reasonable as Mrs is insured with them already

I’ve been recommended Mark Richards Insurance. Just another company to try.

It's that time of year for me aswell now, will let you all know how I get on

I know alot of people on here are using Direct Line for insurance but just to give you an idea of cost if you have next to no- no claims... Mine was £450 for the year, Im 32 and I only have 1 year no claims as ive had a company car for the past 7 years.
Hope that gives some of you an idea of what to expect if your thinking about buying one.

I know alot of people on here are using Direct Line for insurance but just to give you an idea of cost if you have next to no- no claims... Mine was £450 for the year, Im 32 and I only have 1 year no claims as ive had a company car for the past 7 years.
Hope that gives some of you an idea of what to expect if your thinking about buying one.
I'm 30 with 12 years no claims but mine is 1700 as I live on the out skirts of Liverpool in the highest insurance band area

Admiral were cheapest for us. Some quotes were over £1000!

I am currently with Mark Richard, renewal came through yesterday @£436.46, did a couple of compare sites, both around the same price.
I then remembered reading on here some members had a good price through direct line. so I game them a go....£239.00 with zero voluntary excess.
I call that a right result. :p:p

For what it's worth, here is my experience.

I'm 33, 9 years NCB living in rural North Devon.

Direct line - £442
LV - £445
Compare the Market - £444.90

Not tried any others yet but those quotes are way too high for me. Waiting on Adrian Flux to get back to me with a quote but if those are the cheapest I can get then I might have to call time on pursuing buying an Elgrand, especially when I see someone younger than me, with less NCB getting the same figures.

Don't understand how they work it out!

EDIT: Adrian Flux coming in at £368...quite a bit more palatable but I reckon I can still get it lower!

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't rang around but yet but been with brentachre for about 7years with various Jap imports and rang them up and got told it would be 75 to swap my insurance from my patherfinder that I currently pay 280 a year on.
27 in Derbyshire with 8years NCB
Can highly recommend them all none performance mods are covered free of charge just send them a email when you do something.
And mark Richards (Jap cover) came in very cheap on some other imports for me but yet to use them

Not sure I previously added info in this post but for me Sterling Insurance came up far cheaper than others for standard vans and cover was for higher value with engine and cosmetic mods as well as camper conversion.

I've just had a quote from them for another car and that is £350 less than the next best.

We recently had a £25 rebate from Admiral due to the Coronavirus. Nice little bonus.

Not sure if I have missed it and I'm sorry if I have but we are buying our Elgrand to then convert to a camper, once its converted I take it we just ring the insurance company again and explain? Is it likely the price will rocket? Some people have said you could keep it insured as a van and then have a sort of contents insurance, anyone else heard or done this? Thanks

Not sure if I have missed it and I'm sorry if I have but we are buying our Elgrand to then convert to a camper, once its converted I take it we just ring the insurance company again and explain? Is it likely the price will rocket? Some people have said you could keep it insured as a van and then have a sort of contents insurance, anyone else heard or done this? Thanks

Am insured with brentachre told them I would be slowly turning it into a camper and it didn't put price up at all
They just said email us and let us know when you have done stuff so your covered
As all none performance mods are covered free of charge

I'm with Direct line. They said once mine gets converted I will have to pay an extra 25 per year plus an increase of 300 in compulsory excess. Also they said it would have to be converted professionally and not a self build (which it will be done by a conversion company luckily)

I'm with Direct line. They said once mine gets converted I will have to pay an extra 25 per year plus an increase of 300 in compulsory excess. Also they said it would have to be converted professionally and not a self build (which it will be done by a conversion company luckily)
Thanks for the info we want to do it ourselves as we do not want a full shiny set up just basic cooking area and pull out bench seat. Not sure how this will affect things. Anyone else got any suggestions or had any other previous experience of self builds.

Back