• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

A lot of these wagons come over with the original 15 year old rubber, they really ought to be changed before sale.
Yes, when I got my van it had old tyres of a not so known make so I changed them. Also I bought some second hand Japanese rims with good brand tyres which initially seemed OK but had definitely gone hard with age and were hopeless in the wet. In both cases I was worried about a blow out at long high motorway speeds, especially in the summertime and decided just not worth the risk.

On the other side of the coin, last year I changed some tyres on a 2001 Rav4 which were original to the car and they were still surprisingly good but getting worn down and there wasn't a noticeable difference with the like for like replacements.

7.30 this morning with coffee in hand... polished the headlights with this
Took a whopping 10 minutes and got these results - only planned on trying a bit to see what it would do... and then set some time aside later in the day to do properly - but realised how quick it was and kept going :) it could probably do with another go... but not bad for first bash.
View attachment 22238View attachment 22239
View attachment 22240
Must get me some of that! My lights are seriously yellow!

Must get me some of that! My lights are seriously yellow!
Was driving last night down dark country lanes - it was like driving by candlelight. Which reminded me to get on and do it... I think they’re a lot clearer but one quick go probably isn’t enough. I wreckon I only used a few squirts of this magical stuff...

Annoying but not the vans fault, take it back to the dealer and tell him the c/a bushes were not done. Not a lot you can do about the tyres, but show him and see what he says

Spoke to the dealer today and he isn't happy with his mechanic it seems. Has asked me for a formal email with photos etc. He paid for the bushes to be done and was under the assumption the 2 oldest tyres were replaced as well. Feel a bit stupid for not even checking myself but I guess when you get told the mechanic has been their go to guy for years you just assume it's above board.

To keep it on topic the new back speakers arrived. So keen to get rid of the blown old ones.

Spoke to the dealer today and he isn't happy with his mechanic it seems. Has asked me for a formal email with photos etc. He paid for the bushes to be done and was under the assumption the 2 oldest tyres were replaced as well. Feel a bit stupid for not even checking myself but I guess when you get told the mechanic has been their go to guy for years you just assume it's above board.

To keep it on topic the new back speakers arrived. So keen to get rid of the blown old ones.
I've done it myself, assumed what the mechanic says has actually happened. Not always the case.

Changed oil and oil filter. Very basic job so I guess there is no how to guide on it. Did raise a few interesting points though.

1) The plastic two part low rise ramps are great, but they do tend to slip when I drive on to them, So cut a couple of lengths of chunky wood to rest against the garage wall and hold them in place. Also intend the buy some 3/4" ply and use a couple of pieces to give me an extra inch and a half clearance in the future. If I wasn't so thin (ha ha!) it would really have been an issue.
2) The plastic creeper I bought is OK but maybe a metal one would be lower. Did find access a bit tight and my claustrophobia coming back to me.
3)Access to the oil drain is OK, but previous fella must have used and air wrench to tighten the sump plug (needed and extension on the handle of the socket wrench to undo it).
4) The small removable panel that gives access to the oil filter is a bit of a joke. Would really have struggled if I hadn't taken off the whole front panel.
5) The two old oil filter wrenches I had were too big. Bought an adjustable one with a strap. Not much room to get it in there. Fortunately old filter came off by hand.
6) Put my elbow in the bowl of old engine oil. Note to self, don't do that next time.
7) Useful to have an offset funnel to put in the new engine oil.
8) Tight fisted bastards put the oil in a 4 litre container. I had assumed it was 5 litres (OK I know "Assume makes an ass out of u and me"!), E51 takes 4.7 litres. Another note to self, next time read the container when I buy something.

Not sure how much I would have needed to pay to get the oil and filter changed at a garage. Might just put my hand in my pocket next time, but on the other hand I am a tight fisted old so and so......................

7) Useful to have an offset funnel to put in the new engine oil.
I tried so many things to top the oil up...when we first go it at 1 point we had a daisy chain of 3 or 4 funnels! Now use a length of hose and 1 funnel lol!
ps. Adrian at Winchester told me they take off the black trim at the top to service them...doh!

Back