• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

Hi Phil,
Thanks for getting back to me, I already have the full beam bulbs from BMR but on the roads we're using there's too much traffic even late at night to use them! Think I'll get the dip bulbs from Brian to go with them. Can't believe the standard ones are so bad.

At Brian's prices it's worth a try. The worst you'll end up with is a couple of spares to carry in the glovebox :)

100W flexi solar panel installed on roof, flare holder removed and space re-used for solar charge controller, which also gives me 2 USBs in the glove box, controller connected to leisure battery; now i can leave my fridge running all the time. Second solar controller fitted alongside and connected to main battery plus wiring to windscreen to allow a removable 15W panel to sit on the dash to trickle charge car battery; i can now ignore the power drain. Gas cylinder holder refitted with a bolt instead of a woodscrew and new gas cylinder attached. Car battery retaining strap installed - dont know how we didnt notice when securing the leisure battery properly - but car battery was also just bouncing around in there. 20kg of wooden planks and guide rails removed from roof space since i never plan to sleep midgets in the pop-top; that makes the look considerably cleaner inside. Various interior trim panels refitted properly. Kitchen cupboards filled with small plastic containers of comestibles. Inflatable camping mats thrown in a hideyhole since the bed is not soft enough for my poor old bones. Lower pair of headlights polished to remove yellowing from aged plastic so now all the lights have the same chromed & shiney look.

ok , thats enough for now : tonight i'm off to an all night drum 'n' bass night and afterwards i'm kipping in the carpark and waking up to several cups of hot coffee and breakfast, before driving home sometime tomorrow afternoon. for me the van is primarily for enabling me to get to gigs and festivals that would otherwise be logistically impossible.

Sounds like an awesome setup, have you got any pictures you can post of the solar panel in situ, as I'm thinking along those lines for next summer but just not sure which direction to go down, huge battery or solar panel... or both?

100W flexi solar panel installed on roof, flare holder removed and space re-used for solar charge controller, which also gives me 2 USBs in the glove box, controller connected to leisure battery; now i can leave my fridge running all the time. Second solar controller fitted alongside and connected to main battery plus wiring to windscreen to allow a removable 15W panel to sit on the dash to trickle charge car battery; i can now ignore the power drain. Gas cylinder holder refitted with a bolt instead of a woodscrew and new gas cylinder attached. Car battery retaining strap installed - dont know how we didnt notice when securing the leisure battery properly - but car battery was also just bouncing around in there. 20kg of wooden planks and guide rails removed from roof space since i never plan to sleep midgets in the pop-top; that makes the look considerably cleaner inside. Various interior trim panels refitted properly. Kitchen cupboards filled with small plastic containers of comestibles. Inflatable camping mats thrown in a hideyhole since the bed is not soft enough for my poor old bones. Lower pair of headlights polished to remove yellowing from aged plastic so now all the lights have the same chromed & shiney look.

ok , thats enough for now : tonight i'm off to an all night drum 'n' bass night and afterwards i'm kipping in the carpark and waking up to several cups of hot coffee and breakfast, before driving home sometime tomorrow afternoon. for me the van is primarily for enabling me to get to gigs and festivals that would otherwise be logistically impossible.

sorry - cant post pictures ; but my advice would be : both. 100W panel will deliver around 5.5A and a 42W fridge will take 3.5 of those, leaving enough for a couple of interior lights and a usable charge for a phone from the internal USB. its not sunny all the time even here and i'm only 40 miles from africa.

Last edited:
They work well for me Ian but I replaced mine with the same bulb brightness. You can get brighter ones I think. For country road night time driving I'm guessing the main beam replacement bulbs @BMR has would be a good idea. I've still got the crappy yellow ones but I think @Richard Fox has them. Brian sells headlight bulbs in pairs too & they are brilliant value - Halfords & other places want between £40-60 for just one :dizzy::eek:

@BMR I've just copied this from your website. Please let me know if it's not allowed & I'll delete it :)

View attachment 11209

Only got upgraded sidelights bud @Phil. Because of the accident I have a brand new light on one side and to be fair my headlights are awesome in the dark! Think it helps having them super clean!!! ;)

Hey, at least it'll last you ages and ages so you won't need to do it again for a while.

Who am I kidding....... You'll be re-filling tomorrow lol.

Computer says I`m getting 5.7 km/ltr (16 MPG) so it won`t be long until I`m handing over another £100 !

Back