• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

We are looking to get ours converted to log can anyone recommend anyone in Lancashire

I got mine done by Andy Autogas on the Wirral, would definitely recommend him.

Expect poor economy. Really. I'm not gonna lie to you.

They are a 2 tonne bus with pretty appalling aerodynamics and large engines. They are designed for comfort and luxury, not for cheap motoring.

As a brief run down:

E50 QD32 3.2 Diesel - 26mpg average. 18mpg around the doors. 36mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 ZD30 3.0 Diesel - 28mpg average. 20mpg around the doors. 40mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 VG33 3.3 V6 - 18mpg average. 14mpg around the doors. 28mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 VQ35 3.5 V6 - 16mpg average. 12mpg around the doors. 28mpg on long runs at 55.

E51 VQ25 2.5 V6 - 22mpg average. 18mpg around the doors. 32mpg on long runs at 55.

E51 VQ35 3.5 V6 - 20mpg average. 16mpg around the doors. 30mpg on long runs at 55.

These are worst case scenarios. If you are getting less than this, you have a problem (either with your engine or your right foot). If you go into buying an Elgrand with these figures in mind, then you won't be swearing 6 months down the line when you are on first name terms with every petrol station attendant within 30 miles of your house.
Spot on MPG for my E50

Was surprised to talk with a T5 owner recently with a 2.5 tdi LWB (mainly doing short runs carrying only tools) that he was getting 14-17mpg :laughing:

Certainly made me feel a little better about a 26-27mpg average recently :p

Was surprised to talk with a T5 owner recently with a 2.5 tdi LWB (mainly doing short runs carrying only tools) that he was getting 14-17mpg :laughing:

Certainly made me feel a little better about a 26-27mpg average recently :p
That seems very low. In my works van, a T6 (which I hate) can do 43 mpg when driven carefully and with a lead right foot does around 38 mpg.

@Hoobajoob I'd have thought it was 35-40 too apparently! I guess his never gets warm & maybe some
underlying problems? :p I know chap with a chipped 2.5tdi & he gets 20-23 too! Similar!

@Hoobajoob I'd have thought it was 35-40 too apparently! I guess his never gets warm & maybe some
underlying problems? :p I know chap with a chipped 2.5tdi & he gets 20-23 too! Similar!
I suppose chips in the paint would increase drag and increase fuel consumption as well 😂🤣👍

I'm getting around 18mpg around town, short trips so happy enough (3.3 petrol E50)

I've got a deposit down on an E51 and will gas it as soon as I get it. It's not that I do a huge mileage it's just that I know I'll reach the crossover point at sometime and kick myself for running on all that expensive petrol. This is exactly what happened when I ran a V8 Landrover and kept putting off the conversion and the next I know two years at 12mpg had passed.

I've got a deposit down on an E51 and will gas it as soon as I get it. It's not that I do a huge mileage it's just that I know I'll reach the crossover point at sometime and kick myself for running on all that expensive petrol. This is exactly what happened when I ran a V8 Landrover and kept putting off the conversion and the next I know two years at 12mpg had passed.
Bit of advice....run the Ellie for a month before you get it changed to gas....just to see how it runs on petrol...when you change to gas you will be able to do a driving comparison against the two....I bought my Ellie and had it changed straight to gas so could not tell what the difference against both fuels.
If you have it converted by someone like@LPGC I'm sure there won't be any problems...I've had to take mine back 3 times and it's still not 100% right

If your getting it from a trader I'd run it for 3 months or until your confident that everything is sound otherwise if you get it converted and the motor pops - they will blame the LPG so no warranty!!

Both well made points, thanks for making them. I wasn't expecting to get an immediate conversion slot and had some research to do first but will hold back a while. I wouldn't want to hold off too long, however, as the holiday season approaches and I expect to put some miles under its wheels.

Cheers,
John

I can nod to points both for and against having an LPG conversion fitted so soon after buying.

Against - Many people would be uncomfortable buying a car and then so soon having any major mod done that sinks more money into the car. Very unlikely but then where do you stand if something major goes wrong with the car itself or paperwork etc and you want to return the car to the supplier (maybe for a refund).

For - You start saving money on fuel at an earlier point, if I convert the car I'm likely to pick up on things such as wheel bearings / suspension bushes / handling issues / gearbox issues / engine sensor issues etc even if some problem is at an early stage... I drive so many Elgrands, can usually tell if there's a developing mechanical problem and will likely see if there's a developing engine/sensor issue.

Wouldn't want to steer anyone on this either way, it's got to be a personal view point thing, against and for are both valid.

Can say I've had plenty Elgrands brought to me straight from the import docks in some cases before the owner has even seen their Elgrand in the flesh. I've fitted UK number plates on some that were driven here by importers or vehicle delivery people using trade plates and some have been brought here from docks on the back of a vehicle transporter - and none of those have gone on to have any problems. Some I've converted have even been imported, had high camper roofs fitted by one firm and had me fit the LPG conversion all before the owner saw their Elgrand in the flesh, again no problems.

Can also say where I would personally set the balance - If I drove one for a week without any seemed/potential problems that might make me want to take the vehicle back to the seller I'd have then have the confidence to have such mod done.

I've told some owners about problems they didn't know they had... they then went back to sellers for the problem they didn't know they had to be put right whilst the vehicle was still under the sellers warranty, thus saving the owners even more money. Not big problems that'd make the owners want to take the vehicle back for their money back but things that they would have wanted putting right if they were aware.

Simon

Simon, more wise words👍 Such a pity you're at the wrong end of the country and too far away from me to use as an installer. Out of interest, how long does a conversation usually take?

Unless I decide on a few days in Yorkshire, how should I choose an installer near to me in South Devon? A quick Google found Ozon LPG in Plymouth as probably the nearest and with a reasonable profile (well, the website looks impressive) but a recommendation is usually preferred. Is there a trade body? Google found UKLPG but the nearest to me is out in the sticks and may only do servicing.

Cheers,
John

Simon, more wise words👍 Such a pity you're at the wrong end of the country and too far away from me to use as an installer. Out of interest, how long does a conversation usually take?

Unless I decide on a few days in Yorkshire, how should I choose an installer near to me in South Devon? A quick Google found Ozon LPG in Plymouth as probably the nearest and with a reasonable profile (well, the website looks impressive) but a recommendation is usually preferred. Is there a trade body? Google found UKLPG but the nearest to me is out in the sticks and may only do servicing.

Cheers,
John

John, I'm in Cornwall and wondering the same.
Recommendations have great value.
Could compare the products Ozon use with products Simon @Lpgc uses. I understand that's only a part of it, its the configuration/set up that's also critical.
I am not an Elgrand owner as have joined this and Alphard forums to glean as much info as possible before making a purchase.
We have Cornwall Autogas & MOT Centre down my way. I on the other hand would be prepared to travel long distance to protect my investment.

As a general rule of thumb most installers are poor at the job!

Not much to add about any firms I know of in the South, I do know of most mentioned above and on different threads on this forum.

If you both search LPG related forums you'll see who has most technical respect for both converting the most demanding vehicles properly and for sorting more problems on LPG systems fitted elsewhere than anyone else. If the tables were turned and I were in a customer position I'd probably do a bit of research and choose that installer, and if I also found out that that installer had converted more Elgrands than anyone else and gets a lower percentage of problems on Elgrands than anyone else, well that would make that firm a no brainer for me regardless of where they were in the UK. Because even if that installer were in Cornwall or Scotland it would only add a few hours each way for getting my vehicle converted over having a more local installer convert it.. And though they might be further away (so a longer distance to go back to in the event of a problem) I'd be more confident of there not being a problem and not having to go back.

Would be surprised if you both hadn't already received PM recommendations from someone who had his fitted in the South, an install that looks a bit of a dogs dinner and isn't on the same level in terms of technical correctness - and would still be unlikely to be as correct or work as well if they'd fitted the same components I advise for Elgrands.

@mart999 Beware 'advice' on Alphard forums, a certain LPG firm pays a Lexus/Toyota forum for advertising privileges, moderators of that and other Toyota etc forums are mates (and sometimes even the same person) and hype that LPG firm while actively preventing members from criticising that firm on pain of a lifetime ban. Just looking at the pics of some of the installs done even on the moderators vehicles I can see all sorts of install compromises and inappropriate parts inappropriately fitted. They also say the firm sold them an interface cable and can connect to their LPG system remotely in the case of a problem and hype this up as a positive and unique to that firm (when in truth any installer could do that because they simply make use of remote access software that is built into Windows, so for example if we set up Windows on both our computers right now I could use your computer from here to do anything you could do on your computer from there).. but the truth is more like the firm encourage customers to buy the interface cable and use remote access software because they know the customer will have problems and they don't want customers going back - yet even so every morning there is a que of customers who returned to them for problems putting right.

The trade body UKLPG is mostly concerned with bulk gas storage/distribution firms like Calor.. and that's where they should have left it because they don't know anything worth knowing about the autogas/LPG conversion scene. If an installer is a member of UKLPG I generally have less respect for them than none UKLPG installers. UKLPG's autogas involvement/department was set up and run by one bloke in an office at UKLPG (his idea) and boils down to nothing more than a farce, installer firms that are members tend to hype UKLPG as some sort of legislative body but they are not and in fact government barely recognises them as involved with the autogas scene. Government do ask my advice about the autogas scene and how the MOT should address LPG though. UKLPG run a database of converted vehicles (supposedly - because really only a small fraction of converted vehicles are on that database), a small minority of insurance firms check that database on the internet (as anyone can) before offering cover. In theory only UKLPG members can add vehicles to that database but in practice anyone who knows the right people to approach can register any vehicle on that database.. even a first time DIY amateur installer who bought LPG bits from Ebay could probably do it. UKLPG know about this but don't seem to care, the scheme is a good earner for them.

Last edited:
Simon,

I think you've just convinced me that, when the time comes, I'll be heading to Yorkshire for my installation. As you say, travelling that far isn't much in the scheme of things.

I already have an idea of cost but how long does it take? I'm guessing it's not a 'while you wait' service😀

Cheers,
John

John,

I advise 3 days but nearly always have them all finished and calibrated by the end of the 2nd day (long hours both days). Just that I like to check them over again on the morning of the 3rd day.

Cheers,
Simon

Back