• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

and today a second tankfull, on pretty much the same driving routes: 505 km on 51.8l which is only marginally over 10l/100km. differences more due to the fill level than anything else i suspect.

E51 2.5 and 3.5 aren't much different... this is interesting. Would think 2.5 would get a bit more than 2 mpg difference.

The 2.5 has to push harder to shift the weight, so you don't see much benefit. The 3.5 is effortless.

referring back to the lpg versus petrol posts I would like to say that I had my 2003 E51 3.5 V6 day van converted to lpg back in march 2018,it cost £1700 and in august 2018 we drove from stirling to bulgaria (as we have an old house in a village)spent 6 weeks travelling around then drove back to stirling for the equivalent fuel price of probably driving a 2 litre diesel car and would just like to say that I could not go back to petrol as I use the van every day and it works out roughly just over half the price of running on petrol(55.9p/ltr in falkirk)so would highly recommend an lpg conversion for the Elgrand

E51 2.5 and 3.5 aren't much different... this is interesting. Would think 2.5 would get a bit more than 2 mpg difference.

Possibly because the 2.5 is tuned for lower octane fuel, and the 3.5 for "premium". If you run the 3.5 on cheaper fuel then the difference between the two would be greater.

So doing the calculations from mpg to kpl it's bugger all difference really between 2.5 and 3.5 engines.
Considering the fact that you might be frustrated in the overtaking situations 0.7kpl is more than enough to justify the thirst of 3.5 which is mine 😏😏
Was only interested in 2.5 thinking that it might save quite a bit due to the small area of my town and the number of short trips we do in the Ellie.
NOT anymore though. 😂😂

The op states that worse case scenario for a 3.2 diesel at 55mph is 36mpg, surely that is best case scenario or do these things get lots more than 36mpg at 55 ?

Just picked up my new Elgrand. Drove back from Wales to Cambs. Fuel computer said 6.2 km/l.

This one has had a km to mph converison on the dash/speedo. So will the economy display now mean 6.2 miles per litre instead of km?

I get about 8 to 9 km/l showing in my other Elgrand which is not coverted to mph and runs on gas.

Just picked up my new Elgrand. Drove back from Wales to Cambs. Fuel computer said 6.2 km/l.

This one has had a km to mph converison on the dash/speedo. So will the economy display now mean 6.2 miles per litre instead of km?

I get about 8 to 9 km/l showing in my other Elgrand which is not coverted to mph and runs on gas.

6.2 miles per litre works out at about 28 mpg which sounds pretty high.

I do loads of of stop start short journeys and mine says around 6.4 kpl at the minute, that's unconverted.

6.2 miles per litre works out at about 28 mpg which sounds pretty high.

I do loads of of stop start short journeys and mine says around 6.4 kpl at the minute, that's unconverted.

Yes, thats what I thought. 28mpg sounds high but 6.2km/l sounds low for a 200 plus miles motorway journey. Would be hoping for around 8km/l really. Not sure what this mph chip conversion does to the fuel computer read out, if anything.

Yes, thats what I thought. 28mpg sounds high but 6.2km/l sounds low for a 200 plus miles motorway journey. Would be hoping for around 8km/l really. Not sure what this mph chip conversion does to the fuel computer read out, if anything.

Only way to tell I suppose is fill up and then work out how much you've used. I know that when I've done a motorway trip and sat steady at 65/70 I've managed in the 9s kpl so maybe 25/26 mpg. I rarely do motorways though and haven't reset my counter in about 3000 miles.

Only way to tell I suppose is fill up and then work out how much you've used. I know that when I've done a motorway trip and sat steady at 65/70 I've managed in the 9s kpl so maybe 25/26 mpg. I rarely do motorways though and haven't reset my counter in about 3000 miles.

Yep. I'm going to fill it up tomorrow morning. Work out what's what. Thanks.

Yep. I'm going to fill it up tomorrow morning. Work out what's what. Thanks.

Dunno if it helps and not sure if I read it on here or Facebook, but there was definitely a post a while ago about the chip affecting someone's reading and it showing miles per litre.

I have checked mine against the onboard computer and it is totally inaccurate when running on LPG. I'm no expert on this but believe it is something to do with how the measurement is taken and gas has a totally different make up than petrol. 6.2 km/l is 17.5mpg which may be a little on low side but it all depending on how you drive. I notice a big difference when I'm caning it down the motorway. I tend to get around 200 miles from 50 litres of LPG in s variety of driving conditions which is about 18mpg. I tend to be in the outside lane of motorway quite a lot and generally one of the first away at traffic lights (that is when I am on my own and don't have my consciense in the passenger seat :))

Pretty sure the chip just adjusts the speed sensor signal by 1/1.609. The car still thinks it's doing kilometres, but you travel a mile every time the car thinks it went a kilometer. So when it calculates your fuel economy, and projects your range based on that, although it thinks it's doing it in km, it should be accurately working it out in miles really. 28mpg for a motorway journey matches up with what I get.

We are looking to get ours converted to log can anyone recommend anyone in Lancashire

We are looking to get ours converted to log can anyone recommend anyone in Lancashire

if anybody has seen Mountain Men on tv, Eustace & Preston had a log fuelled pick up - until it rolled down a bank & went bang ;):joy:

But I'm guessing you mean lpg. @Lpgc has a fantastic reputation here on the forum (he'll even tell you so himself ;):)) So if you're prepared to travel out of your way a little, I'd give him a shout :)

if anybody has seen Mountain Men on tv, Eustace & Preston had a log fuelled pick up - until it rolled down a bank & went bang ;):joy:

But I'm guessing you mean lpg. @Lpgc has a fantastic reputation here on the forum (he'll even tell you so himself ;):)) So if you're prepared to travel out of your way a little, I'd give him a shout :)

Thanks for the mention @Phil
Yes I have a fantastic reputation on this and many other forums for converting vehicles to LPG.. because I convert them properly with well chosen components to suit the vehicle, fitted setup and calibrated properly ;-) :)
I've converted over 120 Elgrands, another Elgrand is coming to be converted next week, another two Elgrands coming to be converted the week after next, etc etc, some months I convert 8 Elgrands. All my conversions run as well on LPG as they run on petrol (and that's not only Elgrands).
I'm just South of Pontefract.

Simon LPGC

Back