• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

My effort admittedly at a long incline lol! this could be a competition

I know ho to cheat even I got 25.5bit after few miles gone to 10 like yours done:joy:

I am one hundred percent going to see what i can get it down to now i recon the lollipop lady will get bored of my approach 🐌

I can tell you funny thing.. when I was driving it was 10 I parked the car with engine running Aircon was always on for my furbabiees waited around 30 mins when I came back to car it gone to 3.7...strange..

Aircon guilty i recon

Ian travel a few miles mate and it will sort itself out, if you click ok it comes up with a load gibberish then calculates what you have travelled- my perception anyway

Ian travel a few miles mate and it will sort itself out, if you click ok it comes up with a load gibberish then calculates what you have travelled- my perception anyway
Cheers mate...Will check it tomorrow when I go for a drive

When I reset my trip computer then look at the mpl as in the pic...it only shows 5.6mpl does it have to reset anywhere else on the dash
Cheers Ian

I don't see the problem 🤔

5.6 is a high figure for me

Hi guys, I currently thinking about e52 not sure the engine yet and trying to get as many info as possible about this Elgrand. Do you have any real life experience about fuel economy.

Hi guys, I currently thinking about e52 not sure the engine yet and trying to get as many info as possible about this Elgrand. Do you have any real life experience about fuel economy.
I personally wouldn't bother which engine option as they are both excellent, I would do some research on the only transmission that the E52 are fitted with, the dreaded CVT.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't check which engine option as they are both excellent, I would do some research on the only transmission that they are fitted with, the dreaded CVT.

Yes I know, CVT could be an issue but also could be good as gold, it all depends the previous user. But I like the new shape. I was thinking about Elgrand from last 5 years as we need more space (5 + dog 😀).

Yes I know, CVT could be an issue but also could be good as gold, it all depends the previous user. But I like the new shape. I was thinking about Elgrand from last 5 years as we need more space (5 + dog 😀).
I like the E52 shape and also the interior but after experiencing CVT transmission problems personally I would never buy another vehicle that has it fitted. I'm now looking to buy a late E51 2009/2010 as I already have a 2007 E51. Also an E52 would be no good for me as I have rear kitchen conversions and wouldn't be possible with the E52, the centre row of seats don't swivel and the interior head height is less than the E51.

Can you tell me a bit more about your CVT problems. To be honest I'm still not 100% sure e52 because a CVT transmission not best reputation and mayby I will change my mind 😁

Can you tell me a bit more about your CVT problems. To be honest I'm still not 100% sure e52 because a CVT transmission not best reputation and mayby I will change my mind 😁
My CVT transmission problem was with the Audi multitronic , had two boxes in just over 40,000 miles, the second one developed the same problem as the original within 12,000 miles,Thank god I don't have it any longer, I looked on the Audi forum and there were loads of Audi owners that had CVT multitronic transmission failures,When these steel belts snap it is very scary, there is not always a warning and as with me it failed in a busy road in the centre of Nottingham,with no drive what so ever. The original box started by having the same feeling as a slipping clutch and was horrendous when approaching a roundabout and road junctions,had to make sure there was never anything coming and then it pulled off like a snail and juddered and snatched,I bet people in vehicles behind thought I was pissed up. I looked on other manufactures forums(including Nissan) of vehicles that fit the CVT transmission and many have had problems. I noticed now that Nissan give an extended warranty on some of their range.This tells me something. Also if you get this problem with an E52 Nissan Uk wouldn't stand any warranty with it being a grey import .
(Nissan extended the warranty on some of these vehicles equipped with the CVT transmission from 5 years or 60,000 miles to 10 years or 120,000 miles. The extension covers repairs, replacements, and towing for issues related to the continuously variable transmission.)
RECALL SUBJECT:
Nissan - Certain Vehicles with CVT Transmissions
DATE:
MANUFACTURER:
Nissan - Certain Vehicles with CVT Transmissions

SUMMARY:
  • Nissan CVT issues are common among Nissan vehicles. Otherwise known as a continuously variable transmission, the feature was intended to increase the performance of vehicles by creating smoother gear shift capability. From 2012 to 2018, several models of Nissan vehicles received the transmission, including the Sentra, Versa, Versa Note, Altima, Rogue, and Murano models.
  • Some of the most common issues with the vehicles directly relate to the transmission. Reported issues include loss of power, transmission jerking, transmission slipping, CVT coolant hose leaks and failures, and a CVT error message being displayed. These problems call the Nissan CVT transmission reliability into question and can result in serious harm to unsuspecting drivers.
  • Nissan extended the warranty on some of these vehicles equipped with the CVT transmission from 5 years or 60,000 miles to 10 years or 120,000 miles. The extension covers repairs, replacements, and towing for issues related to the continuously variable transmission. For the warranty to be effective, vehicle owners must take their Nissan to a dealership for repairs.

CONSEQUENCE:
  • Service Bulletin Subject: Transmission judder, including shake, shudder, and vibration
    Service Bulletin Date: April 1, 2016
    Components:Transmission
    Affected Vehicles: 2013 to 2016 Nissan Altima and 2014 to 2016 Nissan Rogue
  • Lawsuit Name: Waldo Leyva, et al. v. Nissan North America, Inc.
    Lawsuit Subject: Sentra Xtronic CVT transmission overheating
    Components: Transmission
    Affected Vehicles: 2012 to 2017 Nissan Sentra
    Outcome: Pending
  • Lawsuit Name: Batista vs. Nissan North America, Inc.
    Lawsuit Subject: Nissan installed CVT transmissions with known defects without warning consumers
    Components: Transmission
    Affected Vehicles: 2013 and 2014 Nissan Pathfinder, Infiniti QX60/JX35
    Outcome: Nissan extended the warranty on the vehicle to 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever came first and gave affected owners a transmission software update.

SOLUTION:
If you believe Nissan CVT issues are causing problems for your vehicle, the first step is to make sure your vehicle is safe to drive. Take your vehicle to the dealership if the transmission is still under warranty or the warranty on your vehicle was extended. Ensuring the safety of all vehicle occupants is a priority.
If your warranty expired and Nissan chooses not to extend it, your best option may be to file a lawsuit. Several lawsuits have been filed against Nissan in recent years and many resulted in favorable outcomes for vehicle owners. Contact a qualified lawyer for more information about how to receive compensation for your vehicle defects.
Think You Have a Lemon? Call Us Today!
The lemon law attorneys of Stern Law, PLLC are committed to helping consumers who have bought or leased vehicles that are defective. We firmly believe that you should not have to suffer the burden of constant repairs and other problems due to a poorly manufactured car or truck. Contact an aggressive lemon law attorney at our firm to discuss your legal options today.

Last edited:
Not sure what to do 😱, so scary. I will think about e52 once again. As other option I thought about Toyota Aplhard but Nissan always no1. Really difficult, so close to make a decision and again big step backward. Another weeks just searching internet and looking for info.

Not sure what to do 😱, so scary. I will think about e52 once again. As other option I thought about Toyota Aplhard but Nissan always no1. Really difficult, so close to make a decision and again big step backward. Another weeks just searching internet and looking for info.
Have you not considered a late model E51 ? My mate has an Alphard and I like the exterior looks but not keen on the interior, much prefer the E51 but there again I'm bound to be biased .

i had a Toyota rx400h with cvt
Most reliable car I have ever owned
Never had any issues with cvt and covered 140,000 miles
I was more worried about buying a car with normal auto box due to previous problems with volvos, Merc’s, Audi’s auto boxes that my friends have owned and failed at over 100k
Which is why I decided on a 40k miles Elgrand

I always prefer Elgrand inside and outside as well. i know from my mechanic that merc and audi gearboxes could be problematic and expensive ( he used a different words to describe his opinion 😂). Just looked in Australias and Americans websites and couldn't find much complaints about CVT transmissions in cars made after 2010 in general but maybe is to early yet and very little about elgrands, (unless I was looking in wrong places) so not sure if CVT gearboxes are the same across all Nissan models. I really like this e52 but don't want to stuck with a car I can't use because gearbox failed and spend £1k to repair every couple of years.

211Km at 60mph on speedo of which 90% was on the M5 managed 27MPG.... resisted pedal to the metal whenever a VDub passed.

Back