• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

Just finshed two tanks of LPG. Numbers come in using litres filled vs miles travelled at 17.05mpg, so at 56p/l of lpg vs 129p/l of petrol, give me around 39mpg equivalent?

Happy with that. But think I can do better next tank.

So, regarding accuracy of fuel economy, I just did a 261 mile trip to Essex and back again over the weekend. I've always known that my speedo is a hefty 10% over-optimistic regarding the speed that I'm travelling at, and was always a little concerned that my fuel economy readings, poor as they already were, might actually be 10% worse than the already scary figures. Having travelled a known long distance I can now say that over 261 miles, the van thought it had gone 268 miles. So out by just over 2.5%. Thankfully there must be a certain amount of needle inaccuracy on the speedo as well as tire circumference discrepancy I suppose.

What it means of course is that my fuel economy is actually 2.5% worse than my calculations. Averaging 17.6 mpg over nearly 4000 miles, with a PB tank of 23.4 mpg for basically all motorway driving - albeit with an hour of heavy stop-start traffic - means my true average is probably more like 17.2 ish.

I genuinely don't understand how people average well into the twenties with the same engine as I have. I noticed a slight improvement at 36psi and I've noticed no change by moving from 97 to 95 fuel.

Fuel consumption increases exponentially with speed, and this effect seems to be exaggerated on the Elgrand. I recently towed a boat to Glasgow from Derby, and much to my surprise made it all the way there on one tank - about the same consumption as running solo. It would appear that the drop in speed from 70 to 60 improved the economy so much that it more than compensated for towing about a ton with a fully loaded Elgrand. This included ascending Shap and Beattock at a steady 60mph - cruise control+3.5= :)

I have never had a vehicle before where fuel consumption whilst towing = fuel consumption solo.

If you were driving up to 10% faster than you thought, that could easily account for the extra consumption.

Fuel consumption increases exponentially with speed, and this effect seems to be exaggerated on the Elgrand.

If you were driving up to 10% faster than you thought, that could easily account for the extra consumption.
Oh totally, but I'm driving slower than I think. If that makes sense. Speedo says 70mph, actual speed about 63mph. I think that's normal, been the case on all my cars except my last Volvo, although maybe not as much as this. But it has after market wheels, so maybe the tyre circumference is slightly reduced increasing the disparity?

Oh totally, but I'm driving slower than I think. If that makes sense. Speedo says 70mph, actual speed about 63mph. I think that's normal, been the case on all my cars except my last Volvo, although maybe not as much as this. But it has after market wheels, so maybe the tyre circumference is slightly reduced increasing the disparity?
If you have aftermarket dials it may be a bit less accurate than factory.

I must be one of the lucky ones.
3.5 e51.
I've never had less than 24 to the gallon .
Best was last week on trip down to see my son in Yorkshire 31.8 @ steady 65 to 70.
😀😀😀😀

Spent £180 on fuel last year touring west Scotland in my 3.2 diesel E50 and covered 1200 miles. Doing east coast of Scotland next week in my E51 3.5.... already plotted where all the petrol stations are!

How do I tell which version of the 51 I have.
only boughtit today.
cheers

Does the 51 start from 2002

Well our fuel economy is what it should be now we have 4 new tyres on, WAHOO finally!

Well our fuel economy is what it should be now we have 4 new tyres on, WAHOO finally!
And it might get even better after wheel alignment

Make sure when they do the wheel alignment they are all pointing forwards😀

My return is better than I thought it might be.

Just measured it for the first time after the last fill up and got 474.62km on 57.62l of fuel (shell vpower) which is 8.23km/l or (x2.83) 23.3mpg.

Mostly motorway driving with cruise control set at just over 70mph with some around town stop/start in there too.

Another tank of lpg done in my 2007 NE51.

88l of 55p lpg took me 358miles . So 18.49 miles to the gallon. VS Petrol at 127p/l gives me equivalent of 42.5mpg I think.

The OBC reads 5.5 miles per litre on the dash vs 4.1 tank to tank against the mileometer.

I can't see how I can improve on this to be honest. Will check tyre pressures. And next will try and check via gps the number of miles travelled to see where the OBC is going wrong on my chipped dash.

But still pleased with these numbers.

My return is better than I thought it might be.

Just measured it for the first time after the last fill up and got 474.62km on 57.62l of fuel (shell vpower) which is 8.23km/l or (x2.83) 23.3mpg.

Mostly motorway driving with cruise control set at just over 70mph with some around town stop/start in there too.
Sound very similar to mine, long term a bit lower, but for mostly motorway cruising at legal max speeds that seems about right.

Another tank of lpg done in my 2007 NE51.
88l of 55p lpg took me 358miles . So 18.49 miles to the gallon. VS Petrol at 127p/l gives me equivalent of 42.5mpg I think.

Hi Chris @QwertyUK, 88L, flippin heck! Did Simon find a new-fangled bigger tank or is it the late model 51 that takes a particularly big tank? My '04 has the biggest Irene tank that Simon @Lpgc could supply 2y ago. With the 10%-limiter removed it takes 65-70L typically, which is 250 miles typically for me (16 - 17.5mpg on gas, about 20% lower than on petrol).

Consumption on these barn-door 2-tonne vans is much misunderstood. Yes, 65mph is going to be more economical than 80mph, but take a look at the bar-chart on the screen - you might be surprised. Acceleration and hills are what really kill the economy on these - again, look at the bar-chart (ignore the numbers, just look at the instantaneous nose-dive in economy when you floor it). It's just physics really, you use a lot of fuel hauling that much weight up to speed, much more so than in a sub-1.5 tonne car, but not so much rolling along within its aerodynamic confines (which are also worse than those of the car).

Hi Chris @QwertyUK, 88L, flippin heck! Did Simon find a new-fangled bigger tank or is it the late model 51 that takes a particularly big tank? My '04 has the biggest Irene tank that Simon @Lpgc could supply 2y ago. With the 10%-limiter removed it takes 65-70L typically, which is 250 miles typically for me (16 - 17.5mpg on gas, about 20% lower than on petrol).

Consumption on these barn-door 2-tonne vans is much misunderstood. Yes, 65mph is going to be more economical than 80mph, but take a look at the bar-chart on the screen - you might be surprised. Acceleration and hills are what really kill the economy on these - again, look at the bar-chart (ignore the numbers, just look at the instantaneous nose-dive in economy when you floor it). It's just physics really, you use a lot of fuel hauling that much weight up to speed, much more so than in a sub-1.5 tonne car, but not so much rolling along within its aerodynamic confines (which are also worse than those of the car).

Hi @Andy916, its a 93l tank, with the restrictor valve removed. I got 90l in it the other day, but that took almost ten minutes, starts to slow down at 78l, then at 83l goes slower, then at 88l even slower, I stopped at 90l as it was going up 1p every second by then.

I currently do a 350 commute each week and as the sainsburys/morrisons are a 17 mile round trip from home or work, 55p/l vs the cartel in my town (3 stations) all at 70p/l, I need as many litres in the tank as I can get.

I like to think I know how to drive efficiently as Ive come from 4 years driving a Leaf electric car with limited range. On those you notice the change in range, caused by terrain, but rain amd the cold all have an effect and the wind can be even worse.

Still learning in the Elgrand, however I think 18mpg on gas is going to best I can get.

Currently I have a Smart for local running (and Parking, Whitby is dreadful for parking) and for long runs I have a Santa Fe, which I love, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth now.

I hadn't heard of an Elgrand until about two weeks ago, and now I think I'm a convert, I just love the look and the sound and can't wait to drive one. I'm going to have a word with Dave in Wingate.

I can't think how I've never heard of them, I've had two short wheel base Pajeroes and loved them, so I'm used to the idea of Japanese imports. However Elgrand is the name on my lips now.

Is there a photo gallery on this site I don't seem to have found it yet? Great job though EOC. I might just go straight to paid subscription rather than wait to clock up 10 posts.

Currently I have a Smart for local running (and Parking, Whitby is dreadful for parking) and for long runs I have a Santa Fe, which I love, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth now.

I hadn't heard of an Elgrand until about two weeks ago, and now I think I'm a convert, I just love the look and the sound and can't wait to drive one. I'm going to have a word with Dave in Wingate.

I can't think how I've never heard of them, I've had two short wheel base Pajeroes and loved them, so I'm used to the idea of Japanese imports. However Elgrand is the name on my lips now.

Is there a photo gallery on this site I don't seem to have found it yet? Great job though EOC. I might just go straight to paid subscription rather than wait to clock up 10 posts.
Hi and welcome, yes there is a large photo section and yep you may as well subscribe now because you'll only end up doing it anyway :)

Back