• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Confused over E51 vs E52

This is complicating things for me! I was looking at E52s, but was also going to use it for putting a motorbike in the back on occasion, and it sounds like the E51 might be a better bet. TBH, getting the satnav/tv to work is probably more important...
You won't have a chance with e52 for a bike

Hey all. An interesting read this!

I’ve looked at both and can see pros and cons with each. I plan to convert my E52 into a campervan and I’m well aware of the difficulties of this over the 51 but this has never put me off. I’m a really hands on kind of person that just ‘makes things work’. As such, this conversion is no different.

As far as the English conversion, mine was done professionally in London in 2021. The only Japanese I have is 3 buttons on the TV remote control. I can’t help thinking that the Japanese writing or stickers on buttons would throttle my OCD! 🤣

As above, just drive each and go with the one you like most. Whilst test driving mine only yesterday, I was truly blown away by the refined feel….the thing drove like brand new. Japanese engineering all the way.

When all said and done, there are always risks when buying used vehicles whatever it is. You roll the dice. Additionally, you’re always going to get staunch supporters of a particular model (I’ve seen the same on my SLK forum!) but these vehicles are subjective. One person may love something that another just doesn’t need…..simples. I myself just prefers the E52 but still think the earlier ones are stunning. As far as the E52 being described as an ‘estate car’, blimey, that’s one humongous estate car.

Comparing apples with pears!

Go with your heart and enjoy whatever it is.

Has anyone had a motorbike in the back of an E52? Mate of mine has an E51(I think), and he uses a sheet of ply with a chock bolted to it

Hey all. An interesting read this!

I’ve looked at both and can see pros and cons with each. I plan to convert my E52 into a campervan and I’m well aware of the difficulties of this over the 51 but this has never put me off. I’m a really hands on kind of person that just ‘makes things work’. As such, this conversion is no different.

As far as the English conversion, mine was done professionally in London in 2021. The only Japanese I have is 3 buttons on the TV remote control. I can’t help thinking that the Japanese writing or stickers on buttons would throttle my OCD! 🤣

As above, just drive each and go with the one you like most. Whilst test driving mine only yesterday, I was truly blown away by the refined feel….the thing drove like brand new. Japanese engineering all the way.

When all said and done, there are always risks when buying used vehicles whatever it is. You roll the dice. Additionally, you’re always going to get staunch supporters of a particular model (I’ve seen the same on my SLK forum!) but these vehicles are subjective. One person may love something that another just doesn’t need…..simples. I myself just prefers the E52 but still think the earlier ones are stunning. As far as the E52 being described as an ‘estate car’, blimey, that’s one humongous
Comparing apples with pears!

Go with your heart and enjoy whatever it is.
Here is a e52 conversion that was for sale last year on eBay , it can be done, Screenshot_20221101-234921~3.pngScreenshot_20221101-234847~2.pngScreenshot_20221101-234758~2.pngScreenshot_20221101-234517~3.pngScreenshot_20221101-234912~3.pngScreenshot_20221101-234847~3.png

My E51 HS is coming up for its 3rd MOT and apart from new brake parts and new tyres never a problem. Best vehicle I have ever owned. A chance to meet lovely Elgrand OC members at Santa Pod and Cumbria. Forgot to add stunning food from Cliff as well

Last edited:
My E51 HS is coming up for its 3rd MOT and apart from new brake parts and new tyres never a problem. Best vehicle I have ever owned. An the chance to meet lovely Elgrand OC members at Santa Pod and Cumbria.
Not surprising Dave! 👍👍👍

Could someone convince me this is worth buying unseen . Been quoted around 700 for delivery
I wouldn't buy any vehicle unseen.

But I'd definitely want to know more details about what incident caused the front end damage. Anything the seller tells you will likely be a sugar coated version of what actually happened.

Also, such low mileage on such an old vehicle isn't necessarily a good thing.

The interior looks very tired too.

Get pics of the damage and send them to a body shop for a quote. You can see the number plate too so do a VDI check as well.

100000k means nothing if it’s been serviced well. 👍
The above before arranging to see it, as post above, you need to go see it! 👍

It's a 10 hour drive unfortunately. Body work isn't a bother I have people in my work who can sort that kind of thing no bother . Shame seeing it seems cheap.

It's a 10 hour drive unfortunately. Body work isn't a bother I have people in my work who can sort that kind of thing no bother . Shame seeing it seems cheap.
There's also some 'not insignificant' damage to the driver's door.

The tow bar would also makes me nervous

The fog light looks like it's had a tough life.

It all comes down to your expectations and expected usage.

Back