• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Confused over E51 vs E52

Is the e52 that bad?? I want an grand. But I need isofix and the wife would prefer I didn't have another 20 year old car on the drive so a 2011 ish e52 suits

It's very different to the E51 in that it's more like an estate car than an MPV, it's front wheel drive and has a CVT transmission. If that suits you then fill your boots.

Is the e51 gearbox much nicer to drive ?
I have a koleos and the CVT is pretty baws

Is the e52 that bad?? I want an grand. But I need isofix and the wife would prefer I didn't have another 20 year old car on the drive so a 2011 ish e52 suits

Out of interest, why do you 'need' isofix? I've got 2 kids in car seats, and they travel no problem in my E51 - so long as the seats can be attached 'belt only' (most can)

I have just bought a 2009 s3. Very tempted to get an E52. But to get a good spec low milage one would have been at least 5k to 7k more. And would still not be in as good of condition. The market seems to be flooded with E52s that are cheap entry models. I don't think they have been as well looked after as the E51s have. Don't get me wrong there are some 51s out there that are high priced rubbish but that's where the recommended dealers come in. Yeh you pay a bit more but your getting a properly prepped good quality Elgrand.

An interesting debate and one I'm having in my head!
We've had the 51 since the back end of 2017, I love it and it is still mint after being pampered, I commute by bike so since 2017 I've only done 15k in 5yrs plus. I was thinking of changing it this year but it was going to take an E51 S3 with every option thrown at it to do it, now the dilemma, I'm starting to lean towards an e52, I like the look of the 52 HWS premium.

The E52 doesnt have much space in it when you have a full occupied van. Remember the rear seats are fixed in that they dont slide forward to make more boot space..
Infact the boot space left is very bad - its saved by the hidden underfloor storage but other than that seriously its quite bad and things will fall out when you open the boot.

E51 style inner layout is so much better for goods and passengers.
Serena Alphard Noah Voxi Stepwagon all those walk through with tall rear opening are great.

As someone said above go test drive both and take your realistic load with you be that kids or luggage or combo of both.

For the money I guess its still a good car but when you start moving into SUV territory price wise I think you should consider one of those, eg 3l+ Euro 6 Q7 / Range sport l322 - atleast you will have the MPG

Went to see an e52 tonight definitely a big loss of space for some reason.
Also everything was in Japanese is this an easy fix to change to English.?
Car still in kms 180km in clock

Went to see an e52 tonight definitely a big loss of space for some reason.
Also everything was in Japanese is this an easy fix to change to English.?
Car still in kms 180km in clock
Yes - somewhere north of £150 for a disc that'll update it to English firmware. Links to various suppliers will be on the forum somewhere. The originators are the ones in New Zealand... use a UK supplier if you're not happy burning a file to a CD.

Yes - somewhere north of £150 for a disc that'll update it to English firmware. Links to various suppliers will be on the forum somewhere. The originators are the ones in New Zealand... use a UK supplier if you're not happy burning a file to a CD.
That's decent then a boy mentioned liked a grand 😅

That's decent then a boy mentioned liked a grand 😅
That's for the Xanavi conversion (previously the only way) which used similar hardware taken from another Nissan (hence the high price).

The advantage of Xanavi over the New Zealand firmware disc is that you get English buttons and a working satnav.

Xanavi is well over a grand for the Series 3 E51 and the E52. It's about 2 grand for the series 2 E51.

New Zealand firmware upgrade is series 3 E51's and the E52's only.

Last edited:
Jeeso just get a disc off someone and use my labeling machine to cover the buttons 😅 but again may be stuck with e51 as theres a big change in space

So I think we have ruled the e52 out there's just nowhere near the same room available in the rear.
So I will need to just do without isofox and find a decent e51

E51 series 3 still gives you option of upgrading via disk, cost me about £150. Not a complete change but enough to have English screens and an understanding of what all the buttons do. If you want sat nav just plug in a tom tom etc

E51 series 3 still gives you option of upgrading via disk, cost me about £150. Not a complete change but enough to have English screens and an understanding of what all the buttons do. If you want sat nav just plug in a tom tom etc
Yeh I imagine I'd end up using a double din and use android auto.
Just need to find a decent e51 now but can't see any that ticks the boxes.

Keep looking......it's out there for you
I want a good kitted one like a rider but full leather 7 seats lpg 4wd colour doesn't matter .
Converted to miles would be nice as some are still running Kms.
Shame the e52 is too small as I much prefer the newer details

This is complicating things for me! I was looking at E52s, but was also going to use it for putting a motorbike in the back on occasion, and it sounds like the E51 might be a better bet. TBH, getting the satnav/tv to work is probably more important...

This is complicating things for me! I was looking at E52s, but was also going to use it for putting a motorbike in the back on occasion, and it sounds like the E51 might be a better bet. TBH, getting the satnav/tv to work is probably more important...
E51 is the better option... just get a double din head unit fitted that has sat nav.. Bluetooth etc.. you can buy English stickers that go over the Japanese buttons if you wanted to...

Back