• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Confused over E51 vs E52

Haha awesome,
The lpg tank is 55 litres and takes up full undertray in the boot so the subwoofer has been moved under the rear seats which means the right two don't fold so I'll try move this somewhere else if possible

Also think maybe a wheel bearing shot some kind of noise at speed but it's not the 3ngine

Haha awesome,
The lpg tank is 55 litres and takes up full undertray in the boot so the subwoofer has been moved under the rear seats which means the right two don't fold so I'll try move this somewhere else if possible
One of my first tasks is an lpg conversion!

Last edited:
One of my first tasks is an lpg c
I' have 3/4 tank of LPG just now I wonder if I can top up or do I need to wait till it's empty.
I heard LPGc is the best I wonder how they would fit the tank compared to mine

I' have 3/4 tank of LPG just now I wonder if I can top up or do I need to wait till it's empty.
I heard LPGc is the best I wonder how they would fit the tank compared to mine
Just top it up whenever you like. Impossible to overfill as there's an auto cut off on the pumps.

The pumps have instructions written on them on how to use them but still takes a little scratching of the head, especially if you're using a brass adaptor.
Top tip is it occasionally takes ages for the LPG to flow from the storage tanks to the pump, so if it doesn't start right away don't think it's broken - release and then hold in the button. Longest I had to wait was maybe 20-30 seconds.

I hope so though I can't see them less than 300 a piece online
May take more research Johnny. Check on YouTube, you may find info on there. I’m sure it’s where I got my info from.

As we have exactly the same vehicles, we must pass on tips and tricks!

👍👍👍

Attachments

• IMG20230122113618.jpg
    IMG20230122113618.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG20230125200641.jpg
    IMG20230125200641.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG20230123180431.jpg
    IMG20230123180431.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20230123180355.jpg
    IMG20230123180355.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20230123180327.jpg
    IMG20230123180327.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20230123180336.jpg
    IMG20230123180336.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG20230123180320.jpg
    IMG20230123180320.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 7
Here's my take on the 51 vs 52 debate from a strictly campervan perspective, with info borrowed from this most excellent blog about the 52https://www.e52lowdown.com/

Interior space: nothing in it when you've stripped it out

Walk through: maybe my E52 will be walk through if I change the front seats....which I might. But not really an issue for me, as I will probably be the only occupant.

Camping adaptations: a pop top is available for the E52 https://www.e52lowdown.com/2022/07/e52-camper-becomes-reality.html. A captain's chair for the E52 has been done by these people. Perhaps their idea can be copied/bodged https://campervanco.com/product/Nissan-Elgrand-velocity/

CVT gearbox fear: it's unfounded. Just look after the fluid. Driving with the CVT is fine. You don't really notice it.

Decore fear: this put me off the 51. With the 52 the prevailing opinion is that it's just not a worry. And I'm going to LPG it, which I think (?) will cool the cat temp and make problems even less likely.

ULEZ and other fossil fuel restrictions: you can bet your boots that more and more restrictions are coming, all over Europe. So if you want to keep your wagon for 10+ years and drive sur le Continong it's probably safest to have the newest engine you can afford

Motorbike in the back: after stripping it out you can get a bike in easily with a winch. You don't have to crouch in the wagon and cripple yourself....just stand behind it with the remote control and let the winch do the work. I got this idea from these Frenchies:
I'm intending to make the ramp and chocks by adapting used gear from ebay. I'll probably add a strap between the bike and the inside of the van roof, just to protect everything from the strain when the bike wants to lean. I've bought a portable winch. It won't be bolted down. It'll go in the back for motorcycle loading, or be attached to towing hooks or whatever to retrieve the wagon if I get stuck in the mud when wild camping

FWD vs RWD vs 4WD: the 52 is the winner here when camping in the mud. FWD with selectable 4WD much, much better than RWD

Sales success in the Far East: the Alphard/Vellfire have beaten the E52. Some say this means the E52 is not a very good car. But isn't it more about perceived status and looks? Asian tastes are different from ours. Minivans are higher status than limos, otherwise the Elgrand and Alphard would have been discontinued. Some of the Toyotas are stunning https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Alphard#/media/File:Toyota_ALPHARD_G's_350S_(GGH20W)_front.JPG The E52 probably looks a bit staid on the streets of Tokyo.

Here's my take on the 51 vs 52 debate from a strictly campervan perspective, with info borrowed from this most excellent blog about the 52https://www.e52lowdown.com/

Interior space: nothing in it when you've stripped it out

Walk through: maybe my E52 will be walk through if I change the front seats....which I might. But not really an issue for me, as I will probably be the only occupant.

Camping adaptations: a pop top is available for the E52 https://www.e52lowdown.com/2022/07/e52-camper-becomes-reality.html. A captain's chair for the E52 has been done by these people. Perhaps their idea can be copied/bodged https://campervanco.com/product/Nissan-Elgrand-velocity/

CVT gearbox fear: it's unfounded. Just look after the fluid. Driving with the CVT is fine. You don't really notice it.

Decore fear: this put me off the 51. With the 52 the prevailing opinion is that it's just not a worry. And I'm going to LPG it, which I think (?) will cool the cat temp and make problems even less likely.

ULEZ and other fossil fuel restrictions: you can bet your boots that more and more restrictions are coming, all over Europe. So if you want to keep your wagon for 10+ years and drive sur le Continong it's probably safest to have the newest engine you can afford

Motorbike in the back: after stripping it out you can get a bike in easily with a winch. You don't have to crouch in the wagon and cripple yourself....just stand behind it with the remote control and let the winch do the work. I got this idea from these Frenchies:
I'm intending to make the ramp and chocks by adapting used gear from ebay. I'll probably add a strap between the bike and the inside of the van roof, just to protect everything from the strain when the bike wants to lean. I've bought a portable winch. It won't be bolted down. It'll go in the back for motorcycle loading, or be attached to towing hooks or whatever to retrieve the wagon if I get stuck in the mud when wild camping

FWD vs RWD vs 4WD: the 52 is the winner here when camping in the mud. FWD with selectable 4WD much, much better than RWD

Sales success in the Far East: the Alphard/Vellfire have beaten the E52. Some say this means the E52 is not a very good car. But isn't it more about perceived status and looks? Asian tastes are different from ours. Minivans are higher status than limos, otherwise the Elgrand and Alphard would have been discontinued. Some of the Toyotas are stunning https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Alphard#/media/File:Toyota_ALPHARD_G's_350S_(GGH20W)_front.JPG The E52 probably looks a bit staid on the streets of Tokyo.
Fair opinion, can’t fault you.

If the motorbike option is a definite you actually have no choice.

Great post and best of luck finding the correct 51.

👍👍👍

Fair opinion, can’t fault you.

If the motorbike option is a definite you actually have no choice.

Great post and best of luck finding the correct 51.

👍👍👍
Don't you mean 52? That's what I've bought.

The motorbike option could be fitted to most vans, including any Elgrand.

Back