• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Awnings and tents

The awning we have has a zip off section to attach to the Awning C Chanel on the bus . Very good idea , put the zip off section on the bus slide the figure of 8 piece onto both and the do the zip up . Sorry but I don't have a photo of the attachment just the erected awning which is amply big enough for 2 adults and a dog plus other bits and pieces of camping gear to sleep in. The only problem we have is inflatable beds that deflate after a while , so we slept in the bus on the rock and roll bed but there isn't enough room for the dog as well . Need to find a solution ie beds that don't deflate or something as we both have bad backs so would like to sleep in the awning with the dog , there's more room to move about in the awning. Or we buy a caravan that may be the way ahead. 🤔😎👍

Attachments

• 20210726_075820.jpg
    20210726_075820.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Hi

if you have an awning rail can you have a roof rack as well ?
Not in the normal way , you would need to find some way to attach the awning rail the the roof rack or the feet .

Ok thank you
I've just read how hard it is to get a roof rack so I think I will start to look for on now

The awning we have has a zip off section to attach to the Awning C Chanel on the bus . Very good idea , put the zip off section on the bus slide the figure of 8 piece onto both and the do the zip up . Sorry but I don't have a photo of the attachment just the erected awning which is amply big enough for 2 adults and a dog plus other bits and pieces of camping gear to sleep in. The only problem we have is inflatable beds that deflate after a while , so we slept in the bus on the rock and roll bed but there isn't enough room for the dog as well . Need to find a solution ie beds that don't deflate or something as we both have bad backs so would like to sleep in the awning with the dog , there's more room to move about in the awning. Or we buy a caravan that may be the way ahead. 🤔😎👍
Hello Simon,
We have been camping for a lot of years and tried many types of mats and inflatables. We just use our tent and don't bother with an awning, but may go along that route at some point, At our late ages though we just find the tent less hassle.

Anyway, recently we read about these inflatable camping bed bases from Decathlon on the forum, https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/infla...0-cm-1-person/_/R-p-309887?mc=8595949&c=BEIGE
We took the plunge and bought two, along with this self inflating mattress also from Decathlon. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/self-...ouble-136-cm-2-person/_/R-p-329980?mc=8611728

The two bases clip together and the mattress fits perfectly on top. We've used it on our last couple of camping trips and it's the most comfortable we have ever been in a tent. The bases are high pressure and need a pump to blow them up, but once up they stay up. The mattress inflates itself and is really comfortable. The bases roll up and each goes into a bag around the size of a camping chair The mattress folds up into a bag.

My wife has bad hips, which usually hurt when we go camping, but she's good with the above.

Hope that this helps you. Definitely worth a look:)

Jim

Hello Simon,
We have been camping for a lot of years and tried many types of mats and inflatables. We just use our tent and don't bother with an awning, but may go along that route at some point, At our late ages though we just find the tent less hassle.

Anyway, recently we read about these inflatable camping bed bases from Decathlon on the forum, https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/infla...0-cm-1-person/_/R-p-309887?mc=8595949&c=BEIGE
We took the plunge and bought two, along with this self inflating mattress also from Decathlon. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/self-...ouble-136-cm-2-person/_/R-p-329980?mc=8611728

The two bases clip together and the mattress fits perfectly on top. We've used it on our last couple of camping trips and it's the most comfortable we have ever been in a tent. The bases are high pressure and need a pump to blow them up, but once up they stay up. The mattress inflates itself and is really comfortable. The bases roll up and each goes into a bag around the size of a camping chair The mattress folds up into a bag.

My wife has bad hips, which usually hurt when we go camping, but she's good with the above.

Hope that this helps you. Definitely worth a look:)

Jim
Thanks will check them out .😎👍

There should be three magnetic strips inside the awning strip. Strange as it seems they will be stronger on one side than the other. Try each section separately by attaching it to the roof then turning it over and you'll see what I mean. You will probably find one of thr strips is "upside down". It's fiddly but you should be able to twist it round then you'll get a much stronger attachment.
I have the JAL roof and used the magnetic strip for a couple of years with reasonable success so long as it wasn't too windy. However I have now fitted a slim awning rail to the roof and it fits neatly under the JAL mushroom roof so is not visible when the roof is down. Much better solution.
Thanks. I'll try moving the strips and buy a few more magnets for now. We may consider a rail at a later date.

There should be three magnetic strips inside the awning strip. Strange as it seems they will be stronger on one side than the other. Try each section separately by attaching it to the roof then turning it over and you'll see what I mean. You will probably find one of thr strips is "upside down". It's fiddly but you should be able to twist it round then you'll get a much stronger attachment.
I have the JAL roof and used the magnetic strip for a couple of years with reasonable success so long as it wasn't too windy. However I have now fitted a slim awning rail to the roof and it fits neatly under the JAL mushroom roof so is not visible when the roof is down. Much better solution.
I’m looking at doing this as well, also on a JAL conversion. Where did you buy the awning rail from? Thanks

I’m looking at doing this as well, also on a JAL conversion. Where did you buy the awning rail from? Thanks
Hi Roger. This is the one I got KAMPA AWNING RAIL from Norwich Camping & Leisure. They are sold in lengths of 1.2 m so I bought 2 and cut one of them down to the length of the awning. They are much slimmer than most available so fit better under the pop top. I have a length of AWNING TAPE (sold by the metre) which I leave attached when pop top is down which makes it a simple job of attaching and detaching the awning.

Hi Roger. This is the one I got KAMPA AWNING RAIL from Norwich Camping & Leisure. They are sold in lengths of 1.2 m so I bought 2 and cut one of them down to the length of the awning. They are much slimmer than most available so fit better under the pop top. I have a length of AWNING TAPE (sold by the metre) which I leave attached when pop top is down which makes it a simple job of attaching and detaching the awning.
Hi JohnK, how did you attach this to the van, I’ve been struggling to find a way to effectively attach my awning. I’ve got a pop top as well. Have you any pics of what you have done?

Hi JohnK, how did you attach this to the van, I’ve been struggling to find a way to effectively attach my awning. I’ve got a pop top as well. Have you any pics of what you have done?
I used some grip mastic ti hold them in place then screwed them onto the roof with self tappers. Bit scary drilling holes in the roof but works really well. Will take some photos when rain stops😃

I used some grip mastic ti hold them in place then screwed them onto the roof with self tappers. Bit scary drilling holes in the roof but works really well. Will take some photos when rain stops😃
Here's photos as promised with and without thr connection strip.
20210810_083925.jpg20210810_083911.jpg

Thanks JohnK, that’s really helpful

Thank you

Thanks for all your help with this. I think I’ll have a go at the Kampa one.

Hi guys hope all well and safe has anyone got any suggestions or pictures of the awnings or tents that you use on a trip away starting to plan ahead for next year hopefully 🤞🤞😂
Bought an Olpro awning a few years ago. Bad buy but showed all problems. Separate floor gives leaks, draughts & dog escape potential. Poles are a pain to erect. Guy ropes need to be luminous. Pegs need to be strong enough to go through gravel pitch not just grass. The more door openings the less aligning possible. Carrying bag only fits from supplier, once opened awning will not fit back in.

I hve a suncamp awning that came with the Elgrand when I bought it. I use that when I’m on my own and it attaches via figure 8’s to the Keder tape screwed to the roof. I recently bought a second hand Vango Kela 1V airbeam awning for when I need space for an extra bed. The size of the awning is perfect as there is space for the porta potti in the ‘tunnel’ part of the awning that means it can be used privately by the person sleeping in the van and the one in the awning. I really need to get a fixed bar on the roof of the van as the Keder strip is too flexible for threading on the awning! I need the space for sure when we travel as a family with the dogs.

Attachments

• 47A06B37-7122-43E5-8023-351195B583C6.jpeg
    47A06B37-7122-43E5-8023-351195B583C6.jpeg
    614 KB · Views: 60
Had anyone fitted one of those roof rack off roading style of tents? Not sure if they're as practical as side awnings but they look cool... Well they do on a jeep

Back