• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Awnings and tents

Vango Galli 3 air with magnetic awning rail is our choice.

Attachments

• PSX_20220618_072100.jpg
    PSX_20220618_072100.jpg
    963.3 KB · Views: 24
First outing with our Vango Faros II awning (£270/under 10kg). Comes with a fitted groundsheet. Slept in it last night. Just put the mattress topper on the deck and it was fine - except for the early morning dawn chorus and the first transatlantic flights stacking up on the final approach to LHR.
20220622_171520.jpg

Is that the camp ground on the Thames near Hurley?

No, but quite near. Swiss Farm on the Marlow Rd, Henley-on-Thames. Only about 20 minutes from home! Heard good things about that site in Hurley but I'd expect exact same issues with early morning flights going into LHR. TBH not so bad now mid-morning.

Did Hurley a few years back with a Dads and Daughters camping trip - nice site

Vango Faros II Low awning but first time with Dometic DA awning kit - what a game changer. Laid a storm strap along the offside to assist with park up on return.
20220630_121944.jpg

View attachment 75051
This is what we've been using if the weather is half-decent. It is an Outwell Touring Canopy - quite a simple thing. Light and easy to set up. Cost £145. Both this awning and the Vango Faros use the concealed awning rail fitted within the pop-top.
Do you have any pictures of the concealed awning rail? Did that get fitted as standard? Thanks :)

Do you have any pictures of the concealed awning rail? Did that get fitted as standard? Thanks :)
No it was not fitted as standard. It was a bespoke rail fitted by Sasha Pilkington of Camper essentials. I've already posted full details somewhere else on this site. Please search.

Attachments

• 20220802_221837.jpg
    20220802_221837.jpg
    906.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220802_221814.jpg
    20220802_221814.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 54
The awning we have has a zip off section to attach to the Awning C Chanel on the bus . Very good idea , put the zip off section on the bus slide the figure of 8 piece onto both and the do the zip up . Sorry but I don't have a photo of the attachment just the erected awning which is amply big enough for 2 adults and a dog plus other bits and pieces of camping gear to sleep in. The only problem we have is inflatable beds that deflate after a while , so we slept in the bus on the rock and roll bed but there isn't enough room for the dog as well . Need to find a solution ie beds that don't deflate or something as we both have bad backs so would like to sleep in the awning with the dog , there's more room to move about in the awning. Or we buy a caravan that may be the way ahead. 🤔😎👍
hi there, how did you attach your awning?

I have ordered a Kampa slim c rail. Can I get away with using Sikaflex-522 or do I need self tapping screws too?

Used to have a Khyam sleeper awning with my Granvia camper. Integral poles that was really easy to put up. You can get an air version now. Runs parallel to the van so you will fit on a standard camping pitch. Attached via magnetic strip.

I have ordered a Kampa slim c rail. Can I get away with using Sikaflex-522 or do I need self tapping screws too?
I went for both just to be on the safe side, plus you’ll find if you are running the rail most of the way along you’ll need to use screws to pull the rail flush to the roof as it slopes down at the front.

Good advice. Exactly as I've done. Bit scary drilling through roof but just use very small drill bit and screws. Mines under pop top when closed so protected from elements and out of sight.

I have the same JAL mushroom roof. What size drill bit did you use ?
Good advice. Exactly as I've done. Bit scary drilling through roof but just use very small drill bit and screws. Mines under pop top when closed so protected from elements and out of sight.
Also did you use self tapping screws and if so what size ? Did you use washers too to prevent water getting in?

Also did you use self tapping screws and if so what size ? Did you use washers too to prevent water getting in?
Yes self tappers. Didn't use washers. Size? All I can remember was they were very small. Sorry!

Yes self tappers. Didn't use washers. Size? All I can remember was they were very small. Sorry!
Cool thanks. Do you have any pics of yours ? Not sure where to start the position. I guess you don’t want it over the passenger door side so start from just to the right of that ?

I went for both just to be on the safe side, plus you’ll find if you are running the rail most of the way along you’ll need to use screws to pull the rail flush to the roof as it slopes down at the front.

Yeah same here. Can’t remember size but as long as the head fits in the countersunk holes on the C rail and the end of the screw comes through by a few mm to screw into the roof. The sikaflex will seal and gaps and make it waterproof

Back