• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Awnings and tents

Sorry no photos, but I have a outdoor revolution caman cacos drive away awning which is nice and large . Looking at buying a Decathlon air awning which is small enough for the odd weekend away and use the big one for weeks away . 😎👍

These two are the only pics I could find, We had this one made with a sew on kador strip so it slides in the rail, We also have a larger heavier duty one. They are available commercially aswell.

Attachments

• IMG-20190510-WA0003-1.jpg
    IMG-20190510-WA0003-1.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 2020-12-09 09.24.36.jpg
    2020-12-09 09.24.36.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 94
These two are the only pics I could find, We had this one made with a sew on kador strip so it slides in the rail, We also have a larger heavier duty one. They are available commercially aswell.
Interesting, gives me ideas as I could fit a rail to the roof rack, hmmmmm

I have c rail with the figure 8 for drive away. Can get pictures if you like. Its very little faff, works great as pop top makes some other methods unavailable.

Awning wise we have outwell daytona.

What draft skirts are people using for their Elgrands for the awnings.

Great idea .... I guess any DA awning requires a bit of faff to re-park, regardless of how it’s attached ... I may steal your ribbon idea though, with the kerb camera it’s perfect, I forgot all about that cam, I’ve never actually used it!!

I do get the aesthetics bit to be fair, but I’m having the full NewDawn conversion, complete with pop top, so an extra rail isn’t going to make much difference to me. But I know some vans are modded to look fabulous, and I get you wouldn’t want a C rail stuck to one of those.

BTW the rail is £80 fitted or £23 on its own, the Kador strips are supplied with most awnings ... not big money in the context of my full conversion costs, I can’t quite believe I’m spending so much ... I started off just wanting a removable camping pod, but it kind of snowballed out of control .... I blame lockdown fever!
Hi
How do you actually fit the C rail to the roof of the van?
Thanks
Irv

They are riveted and sealed onto the roof. If you have a pop top they can hide the rail under it so it’s only visible when the roof is up ….
3370EE28-0225-433B-AAF4-B1E0957EB39B.jpeg611DB587-8C68-43D0-8B13-30D4E8D03A79.jpegThey are a great addition, we have a full on drive away awning for longer stays or a simple sun canopy for shorter stops. Super easy to attach the the rail with standard 6mm Kador strips. Go for it!

Vango gali 2 air

I bought a Kampa magnetic kit to attach our Kampa driveaway awning. It wasn't great! Any recommendations to make it stronger or something else? Or could we have done something wrong?

We have a mushroom pop top fitted by JAL in Worcestershire. They recommended a magnetic strip.

There's no space to attach a rail. I also fear a divorce if we have to line up an awning if we go out for the day.

I bought a Kampa magnetic kit to attach our Kampa driveaway awning. It wasn't great! Any recommendations to make it stronger or something else? Or could we have done something wrong?

We have a mushroom pop top fitted by JAL in Worcestershire. They recommended a magnetic strip.

There's no space to attach a rail. I also fear a divorce if we have to line up an awning if we go out for the day.
There should be three magnetic strips inside the awning strip. Strange as it seems they will be stronger on one side than the other. Try each section separately by attaching it to the roof then turning it over and you'll see what I mean. You will probably find one of thr strips is "upside down". It's fiddly but you should be able to twist it round then you'll get a much stronger attachment.
I have the JAL roof and used the magnetic strip for a couple of years with reasonable success so long as it wasn't too windy. However I have now fitted a slim awning rail to the roof and it fits neatly under the JAL mushroom roof so is not visible when the roof is down. Much better solution.

View attachment 58452I bought a Kampa magnetic kit to attach our Kampa driveaway awning. It wasn't great! Any recommendations to make it stronger or something else? Or could we have done something wrong?

I use these fishing magnets they can pick up a 200kg object so 4 of them give me 800kg of grip on the magnetic stripe ,
I position the awning just using the magnetic stripe it's self and when I am happy with it I take out the figure of eight put on the 4 magnets then reconnect the awning job done ,
I also have 8 smaller 40kg magnets to attach the sides of the tunnel part to the car,
doing it this way I don't have to be inch perfect parking beside the awning

I have a vango hexaganal air beam awning this will be the last summer i use it as im getting too old for the camping lark
its 2 years ols in perfect condition with the proper ground sheet
im in France mind nr to Samur let me know if you are interested ill list it at the end of the season in the for sale section

Settled on a vango galli pole compact low I'll let you know what it's like after the cars back from it's timing belt change but it looks perfect for us,got the ground sheet and carpet as a bundle and bought 2 bedroom universal pods off ebay for £48 delivered

Back