• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

You go to the beach to get wet in the sea and for the sand, for the full affect sprinkle some sand in to your food ;o))))))

Out of interest are you just lifting the lid up or do you have a screen/curtain attached to keep the elements at bay?
Just lifting the lid, which would be fine for light showers....only had the E51 for a few days. But for when the weather is as terrible as today I will get a tailgate awning.

Moved a stage further, used the brackets from the old monitor and made some spacers up to hold the screens backplate in place, when I attached the monitor there is a gap between the screen and headlining drivers side so will take it apart and adjust the spacers (bit of 9mm MDF, nothing fancy), monitor needs to be removed anyway as I need to run in the RCA cable.

For connecting the screen I butchered the old monitor and cut away the female connector and used that to make a lead up, fun and games as they say.

oS2w7hS.jpg

and if anyone wants to know the pin outs on the controller board that the female connector is attached then here is a photo, connector is on the reverse side.

I used B+, ACC and GND to power the unit. I think @Stempy could decipher the rest and maybe make use somehow of the other connections as I am not smart enough.

JLrsIXM.jpg
Great idea on using the old connector on the old screen. I have done the same tonight but not connected anything up yet. @Stempy directed me to the wiring schematics but I can't figure out whats the av red yellow and blue on the old wiring as I would connect these up to my video in on my screen to allow me to play what ever is plugged into my rear rca ports. What you planning on doing with yours?

I also have a digital car reciever box that has multiple video out and a video in. Can seem to think how to connect it all up so I have evething working if I want to

Great idea on using the old connector on the old screen. I have done the same tonight but not connected anything up yet. @Stempy directed me to the wiring schematics but I can't figure out whats the av red yellow and blue on the old wiring as I would connect these up to my video in on my screen to allow me to play what ever is plugged into my rear rca ports. What you planning on doing with yours?

I also have a digital car reciever box that has multiple video out and a video in. Can seem to think how to connect it all up so I have evething working if I want to
Are you using the female connector from the old screen to join with the male connector above the headlining as then you just need to solder 3 cables to the pins, would be the top row if I remember correctly.

I will run the RCA cable to the head unit as the Xtrons monitor has USD, SD and HDMI inputs on the edge so that can be used for viewing stuff. The unit has two AV ins so I could run a second to some where else, hmmmm

Are you using the female connector from the old screen to join with the male connector above the headlining as then you just need to solder 3 cables to the pins, would be the top row if I remember correctly.

I will run the RCA cable to the head unit as the Xtrons monitor has USD, SD and HDMI inputs on the edge so that can be used for viewing stuff. The unit has two AV ins so I could run a second to some where else, hmmmm
Ideally what I want to achieve is what is playing on the front top screen is also playing on the rear screen as it should be. I have a pioneer double din and got the cable from @stemp to allow the audio to be played from the rear rca inputs.

I suppose I could run rca cables from the rear screen to the back rca inputs which would then give me sound through the speakers and video on the front screen

I could then run from the TV tuner to the av input of the rear screen which then by default would send through the output to the rear RCA as above and give me sound and video. I also have 3 rca inputs on the side of the rear screen that I could plug anything I wanted into which would the send down the video out to the rear rca as before also

I'm hoping this works lol

Pins 14, 15 and 16 at the rear screen carry the video information from the image distributor.

14 - Ground
15 - Sync
16 - Video

The remaining pins would be of no use to an aftermarket screen, other than the power.

Last edited:
Pins 14, 15 and 16 at the rear screen carry the video information from the image distributor.

14 - Ground
15 - Sync
16 - Video

The remaining pins would be of no use to an aftermarket screen, other than the power.
You may not need the sync for an aftermarket screen, depends if the TV box in the boot has actually removed it from the Video signal or not when it generated the sync pulses for the factory displays.

Otherwise you need combine the sync and video into the single yellow connector with a suitable resistor network.

20210517_163531.jpgso I'm thinking this is how I'm going to do mine

Any comments?

View attachment 54500so I'm thinking this is how I'm going to do mine

Any comments?
That's not how it works unfortunately, audio never goes anywhere near the roof display in the standard setup.

TV box audio and video output goes to the DVD/Nav in the glovebox and then to the image distribution unit behind the dash. From there the image is sent it the front and rear displays. There is a second TV video feed to the image distribution unit (to allow nav in front, TV in back) but all audio is routed through the DVD/Nav unit.

Front back audio separation is managed by the video distribution unit, and I would guess the OSD for the rear display are generated there too (such as the volume control for rear audio when separated).

Editted to say, if the you are adding the TV tuner in your diagram, then you need to connect the output to the factory VTR input to get it to appear on the front screen or ask @Stempy to build you a video input for your DVD/Nav unit as he has done in his project.

Last edited:
Should have mentioned the factory video signals are also separate video and (non-standard positive) sync, the only "yellow" composite video signal input is into the VTR inputs where the TV box converts it.

The camera connections to the front screen are also simple composite, but they have a warning message overlaid by the display.

Back