• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

Fitted a new Pumpkin double din head unit today, I've been putting off for ages as I've never done one before but it wasn't as hard as i imagined.
Just got to get the steering controls to work so I've ordered the cable from @Stempyuno.

Rear brake pads and new longer boot struts from SGS to fit tomorrow .

I wouldn't let them get any less than 2mm but for the extent your going with new cables be nice to have new then your good for a long time

There's a picture of mine I don't see why they should wear because you only use them when you stopped you could check and see if the adjuster is working before you layout for a new set of cables if I use the foot brake the rear wheels lock straightaway.
What I would do is slacken the cables off and then adjust the shoes first so they just turn freely, then adjust the cables again.

View attachment 47922View attachment 47923
My brakes will lock wheels up just not hand brake, MOT said its at 10% on parking brake,
So here's what I've done....

Slackened the parking brake at the foot pedal, i adjusted the auto adjuster so the wheels don't turn and the adjusted it off so the wheel just about turns freely and the adjusted the adjuster at the pedal and still no luck.
The adjuster at the pedal has about 4cm plus of thread showing after adjustment. BUT I have redone all this again and realised that as the drum adjuster is fully adjusted so it means the wheel should NOT turn and I am able to turn it with a little force so it definitely won't hold the car and im confused, and dont want to buy new shoes and cables.

I wouldn't let them get any less than 2mm but for the extent your going with new cables be nice to have new then your good for a long time
I don't want to spend anything but as ive never done drum brakes b4 its a shot in the dark and everyone telling me to get cables as they are more than likely the problem?.

I don't want to spend anything but as ive never done drum brakes b4 its a shot in the dark and everyone telling me to get cables as they are more than likely the problem?.
Pretty hard to tell without seeing it I'd take drums off and operate the hand/foot brake to make sure the mechanism is working and opening pads out

Pretty hard to tell without seeing it I'd take drums off and operate the hand/foot brake to make sure the mechanism is working and opening pads out
Obviously ive cleaned everything to make sure its all free and moving and this is my 3rd time ive taken them apart and still no joy and with this covid no1 is able to help,

There's a picture of mine I don't see why they should wear because you only use them when you stopped you could check and see if the adjuster is working before you layout for a new set of cables if I use the foot brake the rear wheels lock straightaway.
What I would do is slacken the cables off and then adjust the shoes first so they just turn freely, then adjust the cables again.

View attachment 47922View attachment 47923
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kHLnbfjU7NCgTjmeA

Obviously ive cleaned everything to make sure its all free and moving and this is my 3rd time ive taken them apart and still no joy and with this covid no1 is able to help,
Sounds like your having a nightmare can you cheat the foot brake by adding nuts or washers at the pedal end shoes look fine

Sounds like your having a nightmare can you cheat the foot brake by adding nuts or washers at the pedal end shoes look fine
Deffo a nightmare m8, and I didnt think of that, just when I adjusted it the foot pedal was instantly under pressure and I still clicked it all the way to the floor and she still moved forward. It seems to be better holding when you try reversing than forwards.

Deffo a nightmare m8, and I didnt think of that, just when I adjusted it the foot pedal was instantly under pressure and I still clicked it all the way to the floor and she still moved forward. It seems to be better holding when you try reversing than forwards.
It will still move forward if in drive but should feel resistance with brake on have a look see if any can be done on the pedal

Put a new sticker on the rear
Rembered I needed to order rear break pads forgot to order rear break pads
Unboxed the wheel bearing I ordered a few days ago of bmr
Put it back in the box rang my mate and said when can you fit me a rear bearing.
Made a self note order rear break pads

Attachments

• PXL_20210123_105124398.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210123_105124398.MP.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 6
What I would do is do what you done before releasing everything but this time check that the brake shoe lever which the cable is attached to, make sure that is right back get a pair of pliers on the cable and pull it as hard as you can to the shoe sometimes the cables are sticky and don't free up enough if you can't get easy access to the cable use a screwdriver on the lever where the cable attaches.
If I doesn't cure it I would not buy the cables until I fitted new rear shoes.
Your brake shoes look thick enough.

Whereabouts are you in Dorset because I'm in Weymouth if you're close enough you can come down and I'll have a look for you and I have all the equipment.

Last edited:
Whereabouts are you in Dorset because I'm in Weymouth if you're close enough you can come down and I'll have a look for you and I have all the equipment.
Lyme regis m8, so about 45 mins to an hr away but I have not MOT so unable to come to you m8 which is a massive shame. Don't think I would risk Weymouth with no MOT 😆, ive lived there b4.

Lyme regis m8, so about 45 mins to an hr away but I have not MOT so unable to come to you m8 which is a massive shame. Don't think I would risk Weymouth with no MOT 😆, ive lived there b4.
That's annoying because you're not too far away at all do what I said about pulling the cables at the drum end I think you'll find that's where the problem is, and readjust the adjuster before adjusting the cables again.

Back