• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

The misses has 7 or 8 printers in the garage, she does it for a living.

I'd recommend PETG over ABS. ABS is good for heat deformation as it has a high glass temperature of over 100 degs if I recall correctly. There are problems with ABS though as is it shrinks when it cools down, so if you're trying to print to certain tolerances, it can be a bugger. ABS also stinks and probably isn't great for your health.

PETG has a glass temperature of around 80 to 90 degrees, so still great if you have plans on printing something for in the car as it won't deform. It doesn't stink either. Just need to raise the Z height offset slightly in your slicer as it doesn't like to be squished to the bed like PLA.
Yes, I've done PLA and PETG and both seem to print well. I've actually got a roll of ASA to try rather than ABS as its practically the same but supposed to be easier to print. I'm only initially planning on small things where accuracy is not critical and hoping with the cabinet it'll keep it warm enough and keep smells in. I've made a manifold for fans in the top of the cabinet which I can open up and switch on to extract fumes out of the window after the print. I'm keen on trying the ABS so I can have a go at acetone vapour smoothing. Time will tell how I get on.

Looks great and that you've got the printer nicely tuned 👍. I've relatively recently got a 3D printer too, possibilities are endless. I'm now just finishing off a cabinet so I can print ABS to avoid potential heat deformation of PLA.
Yes, an ABS or ASA version is on my to-do list before the weather warms up again. Still learning what the machine is capable of

Last job of the day, completely half arsed it to be honest as I've run out of energy and the driveway just ain't comfy lol the tip looks a lot better, so I feel better when I see it.

I'm sure I must have a dremel attachment which would buff the autosol better. One for another day.

IMG_20200927_163121.jpg

IMG_20200927_165227.jpg

IMG_20200927_165340.jpg

Yes, an ABS or ASA version is on my to-do list before the weather warms up again.
As @John757 said PETG is as easy to print as PLA.

Still learning what the machine is capable of
They're amazing, I'm certainly glad I bought mine and I like the whole process from design/CAD to finished result.

I soon got the idea of thinking about things slightly differently so that prints could be done without loads of supports and with layer direction for strength. Theres loads I need to learn and try in the slicer too, like variable layer height. I've also got a 0.25 nozzle for more detailed small things too.

I've not printed anything really big yet as so far I like to be in and awake while its going (maybe a bit paranoid) but I'll be happier once its in the old computer cabinet.

As @John757 said PETG is as easy to print as PLA.

They're amazing, I'm certainly glad I bought mine and I like the whole process from design/CAD to finished result.

I soon got the idea of thinking about things slightly differently so that prints could be done without loads of supports and with layer direction for strength. Theres loads I need to learn and try in the slicer too, like variable layer height. I've also got a 0.25 nozzle for more detailed small things too.

I've not printed anything really big yet as so far I like to be in and awake while its going (maybe a bit paranoid) but I'll be happier once its in the old computer cabinet.

One of the biggest I've printed and designed was a simple hood to go over the kitchen extractor fan. We bought a portable AC unit and had nowhere to vent the pipe. Armed with some measurements and a half hour of tinkering in Fusion360 later I had this. Took about 5 hours to print with a 0.8mm nozzle.

View attachment VID-20200624-WA0051.mp4

The headunit and facia are now in and all cables routed to their final destinations.

What an absolute twat it was to get the new facia lined up and on!! The piece of trim below the stereo now doesn't clip in, bit crap but doesn't look too bad in person. Any suggestions?

View attachment 41660View attachment 41661

Also took out the 6 CD changer under the passenger seat to make more storage room. Might make a box to go under there or just stick an underseat sub?

View attachment 41662

Next to polish my tip 🤪

View attachment 41663
Talking of autochangers. Mine had a 10 disc kenwood one sat between the front seats (cables going in behind head unit) it was powered and the remote / display appeared to work. It would play/ skip tracks, discs...... but I couldn’t figure out how to actually get the audio to come out. I have a standard head unit. Any ideas what magic button to get the audio to work (i am assuming it works as it was connected when I picked it up? 🤷‍♂️

One of the biggest I've printed and designed was a simple hood to go over the kitchen extractor fan. We bought a portable AC unit and had nowhere to vent the pipe. Armed with some measurements and a half hour of tinkering in Fusion360 later I had this. Took about 5 hours to print with a 0.8mm nozzle.
Snap :)

Well nearly, created base plates for over the fans in the cabinet coupled them with 4x bought adapters which go into the 3D printed manifold and made a closing piece which a shop bought flexi pipe fits onto before exiting out the window. Need to trim the bolts or get some shorter ones.

The manifold piece required loads of support and was about 12 hours but with 0.4 nozzle. Think I'll definitely look at 0.8 nozzle if I want to do something big and not worried about layer lines.

Doesn't look much but was one of my first projects and took ages :laughing:
IMG_2469.jpeg

Bit off topic here but will be creating bits for Elgrand once I've finished the cabinet so I'm running with it :D.

I'm ok with plasticine.
Vee Ladwa (@VeeLadwa) | Twitter

Talking of autochangers. Mine had a 10 disc kenwood one sat between the front seats (cables going in behind head unit) it was powered and the remote / display appeared to work. It would play/ skip tracks, discs...... but I couldn’t figure out how to actually get the audio to come out. I have a standard head unit. Any ideas what magic button to get the audio to work (i am assuming it works as it was connected when I picked it up? 🤷‍♂️

If I pressed the CD button on the stock headunit, it would cycle between the discs inserted. The music just played and you could skip the tracks etc...

The one I've just removed has Nissan emblazoned all over it. Not sure but maybe a Kenwood would be aftermarket and possibly work differently?

Spotify is the future 👍

Back