• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

Elgrand drove lovely today, nipped out to buy some curtains for my hobby room. I just got a pair from the reduced counter and by chance they are a perfect match to the Elgran;)d seats :joy:. I've been sitting on them too much to have got round to recovering them, must get a lounging chair next.

View attachment 41625
Completed the front suspension this morning and put it back down on all four wheels. Then, after an interlude for cakes and stuff, took it out for a short test drive and very happy with the firmer ride and lack of body roll, and there were no strange noises and nothing fell off.

I've fitted camber bolts to the front struts also, so It'll need a full wheel alignment now, but I'll drive it for a while to let everything settle down and tweak the ride height if needed before having it done..
Good to hear you got them on and the ride is good it will be the cake that made it feel more firm;)

Noticed a 6 or 8 inch long, deep scratch on the front bumper- above the "kerb scrape" level but still on the splitter part. Got annoyed. I've been in Scotland for 5 days in the BMW and it hasn't moved from the back of my drive in that time, meaning it's either my dog getting very excited, or it happened in or outside the garage I took it to the week before. They're going to have a look when it goes in for a new caliper on Monday, no guarantees but I suppose they're not obliged to do anything a week after it left them, so fingers crossed.

I got a 3D printer last week so I set about creating a new wireless charging phone holder for the Elgrand. I recycled the electronics from an old wireless charger and designed it to attach to a GoPro mount as I have plenty of them laying about. Seems pretty solid so far.

20200926_231949.jpg 20200927_100310.jpg 20200927_100333.jpg 20200927_102016.jpg

I'd like a custom bracket, sans charger, that would fit to the little button panel at the right hand side of the instrument cluster. (hint)

Finally got the rear row of seats unbolted, sadly my wrench wasn’t up to the job (stubborn buggers) but luckily I know a man with a proper big boys tool kit. Only thing is the runners are still in situ! I’m assuming you have to remove the lower plastic trim for this? Looks like a big old lump of plastic, do I have to remove/unscrew anything first? Or is it just a case of lever and pull??

Finally got the rear row of seats unbolted, sadly my wrench wasn’t up to the job (stubborn buggers) but luckily I know a man with a proper big boys tool kit. Only thing is the runners are still in situ! I’m assuming you have to remove the lower plastic trim for this? Looks like a big old lump of plastic, do I have to remove/unscrew anything first? Or is it just a case of lever and pull??
Pop the end cover of the rail up to reveal the stopper.
Remove the rear tailgate trim.
Lift carpet up just enough that you can get a spanner to undo the bolt at the end of the rail.
When bolts out you can remove the stopper.
Slide the rails out.
Re fit the stoppers and put carpet back down.
Job done✔
Takes about 20mins

I got a 3D printer last week so I set about creating a new wireless charging phone holder for the Elgrand. I recycled the electronics from an old wireless charger and designed it to attach to a GoPro mount as I have plenty of them laying about. Seems pretty solid so far.
Looks great and that you've got the printer nicely tuned 👍. I've relatively recently got a 3D printer too, possibilities are endless. I'm now just finishing off a cabinet so I can print ABS to avoid potential heat deformation of PLA.

Completed the front suspension this morning and put it back down on all four wheels. Then, after an interlude for cakes and stuff, took it out for a short test drive and very happy with the firmer ride and lack of body roll, and there were no strange noises and nothing fell off.

I've fitted camber bolts to the front struts also, so It'll need a full wheel alignment now, but I'll drive it for a while to let everything settle down and tweak the ride height if needed before having it done..
Good job, dunno bout you, but I gotta have a lie down after reading that. 👍

The headunit and facia are now in and all cables routed to their final destinations.

What an absolute twat it was to get the new facia lined up and on!! The piece of trim below the stereo now doesn't clip in, bit crap but doesn't look too bad in person. Any suggestions?

IMG_20200927_113243.jpgIMG_20200927_113229.jpg

Also took out the 6 CD changer under the passenger seat to make more storage room. Might make a box to go under there or just stick an underseat sub?

IMG_20200927_142921.jpg

Next to polish my tip 🤪

IMG_20200927_145930.jpg

If it's a Chinese fascia then they are never quite as good a fit as the substantially more expensive Nissan ones.

Moved the Elgrand out of the way to extricate the bikes from the garage, then rode down to the front to see the landing craft in its final resting place at the D Day Museum.

A84B4C69-6DDD-4F9E-A33F-3210580B0588_1_105_c.jpeg

Looks great and that you've got the printer nicely tuned 👍. I've relatively recently got a 3D printer too, possibilities are endless. I'm now just finishing off a cabinet so I can print ABS to avoid potential heat deformation of PLA.

The misses has 7 or 8 printers in the garage, she does it for a living.

I'd recommend PETG over ABS. ABS is good for heat deformation as it has a high glass temperature of over 100 degs if I recall correctly. There are problems with ABS though as is it shrinks when it cools down, so if you're trying to print to certain tolerances, it can be a bugger. ABS also stinks and probably isn't great for your health.

PETG has a glass temperature of around 80 to 90 degrees, so still great if you have plans on printing something for in the car as it won't deform. It doesn't stink either. Just need to raise the Z height offset slightly in your slicer as it doesn't like to be squished to the bed like PLA.

Back