• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

Went for a driver's this morning and I noticed the alternator light was on and the brake light so I thought what the hell is going on anyway when I got back I thought I try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting but to no avail still both lights were on so was not very happy so I had to remove the alternator and yes it is a pig of a job but it does come out eventually so I stripped the automated down and inside could see that it was coated in oil and it was totally black looks like the dust from the carbon brushes has coated the hole inside and I believe shorted out the regulator the funny thing is it didn't actually stop charging but a tick over it was at 15.1V managed to find a regulator on eBay for £26.20 they are just soldered in but you will need at least a 40W soldering iron to get them out so with any luck I will get it back together by Wednesday.

Went for a driver's this morning and I noticed the alternator light was on and the brake light so I thought what the hell is going on anyway when I got back I thought I try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting but to no avail still both lights were on so was not very happy so I had to remove the alternator and yes it is a pig of a job but it does come out eventually so I stripped the automated down and inside could see that it was coated in oil and it was totally black looks like the dust from the carbon brushes has coated the hole inside and I believe shorted out the regulator the funny thing is it didn't actually stop charging but a tick over it was at 15.1V managed to find a regulator on eBay for £26.20 they are just soldered in but you will need at least a 40W soldering iron to get them out so with any luck I will get it back together by Wednesday.

somebody mentioned a while ago that a leak in the power steering (I think) had leaked on the alternator & ballsed it up. Was it @Richard Fox ? can't remember.

Memories not great & you know I'm crap with mechanics but might be worth checking for anything that could be leaking onto the alternator Andy

Thought I'd get this topic underway :)

It's quite popular on many car forums and is a nice way of highlighting something new you've done with your Elgrand be it a modification, a repair, general maintenance or just took her out for a great drive :)

Just add to the thread as and when.

Who will start us off? :)
New tyres, shock absorbers and springs fitted to rear this week, also finally got round to gearbox oil change and new o2 sensor, really happy to see NO engine management light on anymore :p:p:p

New tyres, shock absorbers and springs fitted to rear this week, also finally got round to gearbox oil change and new o2 sensor, really happy to see NO engine management light on anymore :p:p:p

Well done, a good amount of work going on there :)

somebody mentioned a while ago that a leak in the power steering (I think) had leaked on the alternator & ballsed it up. Was it @Richard Fox ? can't remember.

Memories not great & you know I'm crap with mechanics but might be worth checking for anything that could be leaking onto the alternator Andy
Yes the power steering high-pressure pipe went a year ago and the oil went over the alternator at the time I did spray it with a degreaser hoping to get away with it but I always knew that it would probably go eventually, it's gone now and not when I'm actually on holiday in Europe

Well my second set of DRL'S bit the dust at Jap show so today I took them apart and fitted new led's.
I also fitted some new ones under the headlights with flowing indicators.

Back