• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Power/Snow Mode

Had a spot of bother with the beast this morning,trying to drive it this morning I was having to rev the engine a bit more than normal to get her to move( no I'm not talking about the wife ; ) ) , it felt like the transmission wasn't transmitting the engine power to the wheels properly, very sluggish acceleration with a somewhat roaring engine. Also later when I came back to her to take her for a test drive the "power" light was flashing when I started the motor. I did flick the switch to power mode and back which seemed to fix the flashing and the car drove as normal. However I have read that the power light flashes to indicate a problem with the transmission and the number of flashes indicates the problem( or at least a educated guess lol) any ideas? or where I can find a read out of what the number ( of flashes) indicate?
Cheers!

presume you have checked the transmision fluid is clean and full ?

Yes, lol but I'm researching whether or not you need to do it with the engine hot or cold, switched off or running etc. I see that it has gauges either side of the dip stick for hot or cold. However the fluid is clear with a slight pink tinge and no smell of burning so hopefully that's a good sign.

Thankyou for the link, I used the search function but obviously haven't mastered it yet so help is deeply appreciated!

Had a spot of bother with the beast this morning,trying to drive it this morning I was having to rev the engine a bit more than normal to get her to move( no I'm not talking about the wife ; ) ) , it felt like the transmission wasn't transmitting the engine power to the wheels properly, very sluggish acceleration with a somewhat roaring engine. Also later when I came back to her to take her for a test drive the "power" light was flashing when I started the motor. I did flick the switch to power mode and back which seemed to fix the flashing and the car drove as normal. However I have read that the power light flashes to indicate a problem with the transmission and the number of flashes indicates the problem( or at least a educated guess lol) any ideas? or where I can find a read out of what the number ( of flashes) indicate?
Cheers!
I would like to know how you went with the 'power' flashing light. I have been having problems with the transmission and I know that light does refer to transmission problems, but can't find any information anywhere. Any information would be much appreciated.

I have the same problem going to change the oil and transmission filter then hope for the best! I have a code reader that works on my e50 and reads all systems, that says the transmission is fine.

can anyone read japanese , still trying to find out what all the buttons do lol

I have since found some info regarding the 'power' display light flashing. In the owners manual it's says that the light flashes for about 8 seconds. I now think that this is only a warning that there is a fault in the transmission system, and it is not actually a fault code. Generally, you have to get the codes read by a Nissan code reader. Who knows maybe there are other brands that may read the codes as well. I have found info that tells you how to get into the transmission codes and read the number of flashes to determine the fault. I was blown away when it actually worked, and am now waiting on parts that will hopefully rectify my problems.
I have attached two separate pages, both pretty much the same but written slightly different, I think I used the one on the right, just don't 'start the engine' in the second step, just turn the ignition on, then go from there. I have found that once you read the flashes (codes) and turn the ignition off, the codes seem to clear until next time you drive the vehicle. But if the fault or faults are still there then they will reappear again when you reread them. This is what is happening on my vehicle. Mine is a E50 VG33E engine 2WD 4 speed auto. I have no idea if it works on other models of E50, but i would guess that maybe it would due to owner and workshop manuals suiting 1997 - 2002 models, but hey, you wont know until you try it. Best of luck.

Attachments

• 16211304384445822397606521126496.jpg
    16211304384445822397606521126496.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 16211306681797061204864417100009.jpg
    16211306681797061204864417100009.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 138
They should be somewhere on the dash some models have them on the right side of the steering. Look around, Is it 4wd? If it is, it may be permanent on 4WD
How do you know if its permanent on 4WD

I'm still getting a feel for mine but in power mode it feels like the engine is holding hands with the transmission a lot more tightly.
Power reaches the wheels immediately and hard.
In normal mode, especially at motorway speeds it feels like the engine is gently pushing the transmission - almost lazily.
I'm learning to be extra gentle on the accelerator too because it rockets off at the slightest touch from standstill. Almost too twitchy!

I'm still getting a feel for mine but in power mode it feels like the engine is holding hands with the transmission a lot more tightly.
Power reaches the wheels immediately and hard.
In normal mode, especially at motorway speeds it feels like the engine is gently pushing the transmission - almost lazily.
I'm learning to be extra gentle on the accelerator too because it rockets off at the slightest touch from standstill. Almost too twitchy!
You don't get any extra power it just stays in gear longer to use the power from what I understand. 😎👍

You don't get any extra power it just stays in gear longer to use the power from what I understand. 😎👍
This is how I understand it too
No extra power at top end etc, but the distribution in lower gears is different, slightly more aggressive so you get there a little quicker
Almost like hanging on to third in a manual( but it won’t let you go too far as you could with a manual)

This is how I understand it too
No extra power at top end etc, but the distribution in lower gears is different, slightly more aggressive so you get there a little quicker
Almost like hanging on to third in a manual( but it won’t let you go too far as you could with a manual)
What he said^

Glad I saw this as just assumed I would have to change into Power mode but good to know if I give it some beans it will automatically kick in

When using Snow I found the brakes would bind upon parking (I was working in a remote area on a roster and the vehicle would be parked for 10 days straight)
It also seemed to heat up all four brakes and increase fuel consumption.
Someone suggested that in Snow mode the vehicle was applying the brakes lightly to heat up the rotors to prevent them icing over.
I have no way or reason to test this theory as our climate never drops below freezing so I just don't use it.

Will try the Power mode now that I've read others' suggestions and see how the driving experience compares

Our E51 camper gets pretty heavy when fully loaded, especially with kids in and the back box fitted to the tow bar. The Power button is very handy when hoiking it up some steep gradients. The sat nav took us up a steep cobbled street once to get us to the motorway. It was a bit hairy but with 4WD and Power selected, we made it!

Back