• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Power/Snow Mode

Interesting stuff, I've not dared touch the power mode yet on my new Ellie E51 but will have to have a play and see how it compares.

I've noticed she seems to scream in 4th before changing to fifth when I personally would have sometimes, dunno if sensors or something need sorting? Seems to have a mind of her own sometimes, though nothing unbearable. Perhaps I just need to understand her working a bit better.

Yeah I'm pretty satisfied on normal mode as is, but will try power mode for a week to see how it goes.

Can you press snow button on the move or do you have to be stationery?

I drove in about 1cm of snow the other day in a car park. I pressed the snow button - I have no idea if it made a difference but my kids thought it was brilliant that we had a snow button and thought it would be cool if big spikes would come out the wheels to help us on our way.

When using Snow I found the brakes would bind upon parking (I was working in a remote area on a roster and the vehicle would be parked for 10 days straight)
It also seemed to heat up all four brakes and increase fuel consumption.
Someone suggested that in Snow mode the vehicle was applying the brakes lightly to heat up the rotors to prevent them icing over.
I have no way or reason to test this theory as our climate never drops below freezing so I just don't use it.

Will try the Power mode now that I've read others' suggestions and see how the driving experience compares
Thanks for this. I was almost sure the snow mode was the perfect economy drive mode :) :-D

All Elgrand's come with a rocker switch to select between three modes:

NORMAL
SNOW
POWER

The three modes control how the engine and gearbox work together.

Snow mode is what it says on the tin really. Put it into snow mode when it's icy. It'll reduce torque to the wheels to allow you to pull away easier and retain traction

Normal mode is also what it says on the tin. Normal. This is the standard setting.

Power mode. This will increase the limit at which the gearbox will change up a gear. This will also kick in automatically if you are in NORMAL mode and put your foot down (say when joining a motorway on a slip road). It will revert back to normal mode once you lift off the accelerator. It's a personal choice, but I have always kept mine in power mode as I think overall it drives better.

All Elgrand's come with a rocker switch to select between three modes:

NORMAL
SNOW
POWER

The three modes control how the engine and gearbox work together.

Snow mode is what it says on the tin really. Put it into snow mode when it's icy. It'll reduce torque to the wheels to allow you to pull away easier and retain traction

Normal mode is also what it says on the tin. Normal. This is the standard setting.

Power mode. This will increase the limit at which the gearbox will change up a gear. This will also kick in automatically if you are in NORMAL mode and put your foot down (say when joining a motorway on a slip road). It will revert back to normal mode once you lift off the accelerator. It's a personal choice, but I have always kept mine in power mode as I think overall it drives better.
So, what RPM does a 3L E50 cruise at? mine seem to be around 3250 rpm most of the time, to maintain speed at 65/70 mph, as though it needs another gear

Manual gears for engine braking can be useful in automatics when going downhill particularly in slippery conditions.

As a result of global warming and my coastal location I‘ve only just used the snow button once in 3 years and that was a fortnight ago. Does what it says on the tin - no problem with wheelspinon solid ice snow.

Parked for 10 days! Did it start? Mine takes a hissy fit after 3/4 days! Dead as a Dodo!!
Same problem 😞 , I invested in a jump starter pack from Halfords, a noco one . Does the job perfectly, cost £100 , money well spent in my book . Helped me loads of times.

Same problem 😞 , I invested in a jump starter pack from Halfords, a noco one . Does the job perfectly, cost £100 , money well spent in my book . Helped me loads of times.
Yes I had to invest in a power pack as well, brilliant things. It's a pain when you have to go away for a week or so and need someone to start the bus up when away!!

Yes I had to invest in a power pack as well, brilliant things. It's a pain when you have to go away for a week or so and need someone to start the bus up when away!!
They certainly are , and compact enough to fit in the door pocket and you can re charge it while you drive back . Last time I got stuck was when we went to London and the car was parked for a week, that was the last straw, I had jump leads but no one around to help, so I invested in one and wouldn't be without one now .

Anyone had the Power light Indicator flashes 16x when you turn the Ignition to ON? I had issues on my E50, there is lack of power and the van seems sluggish/slow from stop to moving even the RPM is at 2k. It started when I saw the Power indicator blinking. When the Engine starts to run, the Power light indicator is off. (Power light indicator is same as when you push the button on Power or Snow switch).

Back