• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Insuring your Elgrand

Sorry as a newbie have not got the hang of this forum yet! :)
There's so much info on here but sometimes is very difficult to track down what you want even for those of us who've been around for a while!
Glad you've found it. Shouldn't cause an issue not having it registered as a motorhome.
Enjoy your trips!

Added the Elgrand to an existing Aviva policy with 2 cars on it. They allowed me to use my NCB on the Elgrand as well as the car it was already used against. 9 months cost £131, so £175 full year equivalent. Fully comp no extras like breakdown, courtesy car etc. I'm not a loyal customer of their's and I change all of my insurance and utility contracts annually to chase the best prices, so I was pretty pleased with this premium.

I have struggled to find anywhere to insure my Elgrand due to age and location. As a walkaround I have managed to insure it with a classic car insurance company footman james. Quoted 340 for the year fully comp as long as it is registered as a campervan. As it was always the plan with the e50 thats what I have gone for.

Quotes I had from compare the market were 1600-1800

I have struggled to find anywhere to insure my Elgrand due to age and location. As a walkaround I have managed to insure it with a classic car insurance company footman james. Quoted 340 for the year fully comp as long as it is registered as a campervan. As it was always the plan with the e50 thats what I have gone for.

Quotes I had from compare the market were 1600-1800
Unless it's already registered as a Moturhome (campervan is not a recognised classification) you won't be able to get up registered as such unless you put on a fixed high top roof and meet other criteria.
DVLA changed their rules a year or two ago. Even professional camper converters have this same issue.
Therefore if they are saying you must have it reclassified as a motorhome for the insurance to be valid you're going to be out of luck.

Unless it's already registered as a Moturhome (campervan is not a recognised classification) you won't be able to get up registered as such unless you put on a fixed high top roof and meet other criteria.
DVLA changed their rules a year or two ago. Even professional camper converters have this same issue.
Therefore if they are saying you must have it reclassified as a motorhome for the insurance to be valid you're going to be out of luck.
Really? According to their site it pretty much needs a kitchen with a hob, bed, windows etc?

What am I missing?

Really? According to their site it pretty much needs a kitchen with a hob, bed, windows etc?

What am I missing?
See this thread here

Must have a fixed high roof and graphics as well as the bed, kitchen etc.
Noone is getting camper conversions reregistered these days as a result. Insurers of Campers should be well aware of this as the new rules came in mid 2019.
I would go back to Footman James and explain this to see if they will accept without it being reregistered.

I will give them a call this afternoon to see what can be done. Hopefully they can pass it somehow or im screwed :p

Its just all a bit strange as nowhere is says it "must" have these external features.

It outlines a list of whats commonly seen and asks for evidence if fitted.

But I guess even though it does not have it they might still want to fight it for the sake of it

Its just all a bit strange as nowhere is says it "must" have these external features.

It outlines a list of whats commonly seen and asks for evidence if fitted.

But I guess even though it does not have it they might still want to fight it for the sake of it
In that thread I linked to Winchester posted the form DVLA use. The features you need to provide photo evidence of includes a fixed highbtop roof and it states this does not include a pop top.
Winchester does many conversions and knows his stuff. All other converters have the same issue. There's been loads of debate on this on various camping forums.
Good luck with your call to the insurers.

Yes I have seen this. But it does say tick which combination of external features are fitted and provide evidence. It does not say it must have all. So hopefully with a awning rail some decals etc they will approve it.

Hi, new to the forum. 2nd Elgrand I've owned.
Shopped around but LV were the best for me. Must be an area thing. 45, with 10 yrs ncd, £400!!!

try mark richards and always ring insurers direct a lot of comparison sites will not have jap imports on their computers good luck

HI I GOT A QUOTE WITH STAVELY HEAD I WENT WITH 270 CHEAPEST I COULD GET

I've just had a funny one from Admiral - we have a multicar policy with them - got an indicative quote for the Elgrand until the policy renews in August - as I would be adding a car, they would increase the discount on the current cars (4 of them) and the net effect is that they owe me £30! How the f*&% does that work! :joy:

Insurance has been interesting. Age 60, 9+ years no claims, no points, estimated mileage 6000 PA, fully comprehensive and I'm covered for the full price that I will be paying. I've insured through Greenlight who are providing the better policy for £399.57 (£46 less than Adrian Flux).
The oddity is that they have asked me to fit a Thatcham Cat1 system, I was going to fit a system of some sort as a motorhome owning friend recommended one. It's probably due to living in Sunderland, at least I'm in an NE postcode part and not one of the SR parts which get loaded higher on house insurance and presumably car insurance. It might also be due to the high value of the van.

This is just the insurance element taken from my post here https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/i-become-an-owner-on-thursday.30185/#post-420440

Insurance has been interesting. Age 60, 9+ years no claims, no points, estimated mileage 6000 PA, fully comprehensive and I'm covered for the full price that I will be paying. I've insured through Greenlight who are providing the better policy for £399.57 (£46 less than Adrian Flux).
The oddity is that they have asked me to fit a Thatcham Cat1 system, I was going to fit a system of some sort as a motorhome owning friend recommended one. It's probably due to living in Sunderland, at least I'm in an NE postcode part and not one of the SR parts which get loaded higher on house insurance and presumably car insurance. It might also be due to the high value of the van.

This is just the insurance element taken from my post here https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/i-become-an-owner-on-thursday.30185/#post-420440
I spent some time today looking at the Thatcham site and trawled through this forum looking at old posts in this thread and some other threads and have managed to work out that the factory fitted Nissan Anti Theft System (NATS) in the E51 is the same as the one in in Nissan Micra which qualifies as a Thatcham Cat 2 system. The main difference between Cat 2 and Cat 1 seems to be the addition of an alarm to an already installed immobiliser. Some companies will sell a kit for that.
Armed with this information I phoned Greenlight to ask if the addition of an alarm to what I already have would satisfy the need for a Cat 1 system. The chap I spoke to today said that it's the immobiliser that they are really interested in and that an alarm wouldn't really be needed, I asked him if he was sure so he went silent to confirm with a colleague. This colleague has an imported 370Z which has the same immobiliser and they definitely accept it without need for additional work. All I need to do is provide proof that it's fitted and working.

What
Like people have said before must be down to Postcode areas.
52 with 9 years no claims.

MtSApz_s76K9lJT2J0povSTbQNJQvGPIaDi1mvjxdUH3VAgdvKjVmPlzUHx5Vlw-_ngpqSs8etamwD2koSCXtlvw60N8x1VyYdSFPYt06y4=s0-d-e1-ft

Annual price
£212.00​
Neil Ayres
Comprehensive
2006 Nissan Elgrand, 3498CC Petrol, 4DR, Auto
was the excess on that please?

My current insurance company QMH just quoted less than £200 for fresh import registered 3.5 2008 e51 Highway Star. Added everything from legal to hire cars etc etc £248, today is getting better by the minute.

By the way, I'm an old git now at the spritely, fresh faced age of 48🤦‍♀️...Over 20 years NCB and live in a relatively quiet area, so I think it all contributes to the quotes you get. Mind you I'll need the extra ££££💰 for my Super unleaded petrol ⛽, swings in roundabouts.

Back