• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Insuring your Elgrand

Hi great news just been told my highway star will be ready for pick up Friday now the hard bit l v my insurances don't cover Elgrand highway star any advice on who to use

Hi great news just been told my highway star will be ready for pick up Friday now the hard bit l v my insurances don't cover Elgrand highway star any advice on who to use
Did you read this thread from the start, it's all on there already? Good luck!

Hi when you are filling all details do you tell the insurance company that you have taken out core of rear cats will it make a different quote

Hi when you are filling all details do you tell the insurance company that you have taken out core of rear cats will it make a different quote
Only if you want your insurance refused. Modifying the emissions control is technically illegal.

Admiral multi car - Elgrand for £313 with a mirror NCB and £213 on my Honda 2006 CRV 13yrs NCB. Both comprehensive

Well after an evening of reading this thread last night then running a few quotes (who I will list below) with the main players and also a comparison site (sorry I know you said don't bother @Karl ) however surprisingly they returned some of the cheaper prices.

So up till 4 years ago I had a company car so limited on the number of NCD to 4 years, but managed to insure the bus for less than I am paying for my current car, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.

Whilst not a low as some of you for me I was happy - Direct Line - Comprehensive Plus with NCD protection £567.51. £0 voluntary excess.

Main difference other than about £50 was the plus meant if I needed a courtesy car they matched to a similar car I insured so this being our family car the more seats the better was a no brainer rather than a small hatch!

Companies I quoted with:

Adrian Flux - £655, couldn't match the Direct Line quote
Green light - cant remember what they quoted was in the region of £800ish
Mark Richards - £715.94 - £400 voluntary excess too!
LV - £683.26
Comparethemarket - Admiral - £524.16 (was the cheapest)

Whilst Admiral are £40ish cheaper , the courtesy car was a small hatchback. While I hope never to need one, id rather have the comfort knowing i have a like for like temp car.

Hope this is useful and informative to the group.

Direct Line - £297 for a 3.5. I've been with them a few years now on multicar and I think paining the early days of insuring the X5 is now paying off

Direct Line - £297 for a 3.5. I've been with them a few years now on multicar and I think paining the early days of insuring the X5 is now paying off
Yep, the cheap insurance is the only thing that almost makes up for the cost of petrol and repair/consumables cost!!

I also found Admiral the cheapest. Was quite surprised when they only asked for an extra ~£200 to add the 3.5 Elgrand to our existing VW insurance on a multicar (for the remaining 10 months of this years policy). That was without any NCB transferred as well as i've still got that applied to my Subaru! They said they were adding an 'introductory' NCB as we've also got home insurance with them as well.

You got it as it is - a Nissan Elgrand.
How can you declare mods you don't know about?
(wink wink)

For those in Australia, AAMI turned me down based on import vehicle, NRMA were happy to insure

fully comprehensive $400 a year insured for $16,000

For those in Australia, AAMI turned me down based on import vehicle, NRMA were happy to insure

fully comprehensive $400 a year insured for $16,000
Are you sure this is right? I am looking into insurance and I’m based in Aus. Full insurance minimum $1500 at the lowest my guess. Perhaps you meant third party….?

After reading through most of the pages in this thread, what I gather is that they aren't too bad to insure, fairly comparable to an ordinary, boring car
Definitely, I was pleasantly surprised how reasonably priced the insurance is compared to bog standard car

Definitely, I was pleasantly surprised how reasonably priced the insurance is compared to bog standard car
Keep in mind though as large panels/ body parts aren't available from stock, and insurance companies generally insist on new parts, imports will almost certainly be written off in many cases where UK cars could be easily repaired. it doesn't really effect anything unless it happens, but you need to be aware of your excess (which is often higher for imports - mine is with direct line) and that if you are really attached to your car a relatively minor accident can easily put it off the road.

Crikey. Admiral was best for us and a few others. Deffo best to shop around for sure.
I concur. Admiral came up best for me. 3.5l E51 for me the Mrs and my 23yr old son as named drivers.£280 fully comp 6k miles p.a. ( more than enough for us!) I appreciate no 2 quotes will have the same criteria ,but after much searching this appeared to be the best on cost and cover for us.

General Accident, £212.60 with an additional £20 discount if I renew on line, by 26/11/2021
£250 all in excess.
Protected no claims
Legal cover
Replacement hire car
Screen cover

Not sure about the ncb side of things for a camper. But I would say yes to getting in touch with DVLA and get it 're classified as a camper. I think a few members have had better quotes for insurance doing it that way.
I have a new Nissan Elgrand highway star 2008 E51 and its being fitted out as a campervan so as the supplier is registering it, should I be asking for it to be registered with DVLA as a campervan?

This government page seems to say that I should not as it does not look like a camper van from the outside?

Quote:

"The body type of your vehicle will not be changed unless its exterior looks like a motor caravan in traffic."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...van/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motor-caravan

Ahh just found the answer....elsewhere on the forum i.e. does not need to change and as not a high top would not be changed by DVLA so am happy with that:

Sorry as a newbie have not got the hang of this forum yet! :)

Back