• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

My qd32eti with about 333000klms gets about 11 to 13 litres mixed driving mainly highway. I have changed glow plugs oil oil filter air filter fuel filter. Looks like that's as good as it gets. Did a 100klm trio today mainly highway 100 to 110klms a hour was 11 litres every 100klms. Maybe due to high ks I won't see 8-9 litres every 100klms.

Did the maths on my E50 for the first time after owning it for a year. Knew i wouldn't like the results. Little over 16mpg on E10. I have got big 245/70/16 tyres on it though so i bet that hurts me. Tracking it out for sure as well so wouldn't be shocked if that costs me a bit. Must get some new tyres and get the wheels straight and see if theres a change.

14.7 mpg (167km for 32L, 19L/100km) today. Brutal.

I've had my Elgrand for about 18 months now and I've come to the final conclusion that you can either have really bad fuel economy by driving like a boring old fart and generally not enjoying the experience...

Or you can have really REALLY bad fuel economy by enjoying the driving experience.

(LPG is a whole other argument of course)

Basically you're not ever going to get an economical ownership with a 2 tonne 3.5ltr v6 automatic. Sorry, not sorry😇

Expect poor economy. Really. I'm not gonna lie to you.

They are a 2 tonne bus with pretty appalling aerodynamics and large engines. They are designed for comfort and luxury, not for cheap motoring.

As a brief run down:

E50 QD32 3.2 Diesel - 26mpg average. 18mpg around the doors. 36mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 ZD30 3.0 Diesel - 28mpg average. 20mpg around the doors. 40mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 VG33 3.3 V6 - 18mpg average. 14mpg around the doors. 28mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 VQ35 3.5 V6 - 16mpg average. 12mpg around the doors. 28mpg on long runs at 55.

E51 VQ25 2.5 V6 - 22mpg average. 18mpg around the doors. 32mpg on long runs at 55.

E51 VQ35 3.5 V6 - 20mpg average. 16mpg around the doors. 30mpg on long runs at 55.

These are worst case scenarios. If you are getting less than this, you have a problem (either with your engine or your right foot). If you go into buying an Elgrand with these figures in mind, then you won't be swearing 6 months down the line when you are on first name terms with every petrol station attendant within 30 miles of your house.

We toured round Scotland over the Christmas/New Year holiday and I got 555kms from 95ltrs of LPG. Is this average for my 3.5 E51?

We toured round Scotland over the Christmas/New Year holiday and I got 555kms from 95ltrs of LPG. Is this average for my 3.5 E51?
Works out at 16.5 mpg ish , not too bad for Scotland, hilly winding roads , also depends on your fills , got to brim to brim or run out to run out

Living in a fairly hilly area combined with stop start stuff has got me averaging about 15mpg from the 3.5 V6.

Can practically see the gauge vanish in front of your eyes but its worth it for the experience!

Having recently purchased a 3.5 with 46k miles and completed the 315 mile journey home I can confirm that it did 32 mpg at 60 mph on Tesco E10 unleaded and bearing in mind that petrol is 90p a gallon cheaper (13%) then 32mpg becomes 36mpg, which is very good in my book for this 3.5 2 ton brick.:)

Having recently purchased a 3.5 with 46k miles and completed the 315 mile journey home I can confirm that it did 32 mpg at 60 mph on Tesco E10 unleaded and bearing in mind that petrol is 90p a gallon cheaper (13%) then 32mpg becomes 36mpg, which is very good in my book for this 3.5 2 ton brick.:)
You know the whole E10/E5 debate and you're settled on it?

1674423592183.png

Do these not prefer running e5?
I picked mine up today and average 14mpg 🤣
From my knowledge its around 3% less mpg on e10 compared to e5, I shall test it on e5 and then e0, but I expect given the price difference it will work out the same overall.

Back