• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

10.6 km/L is 29.94298 miles per imperial gallon.
Don't confuse US gallons with imperial (UK) gallons. A US gallon is 3.78541 litres. An imperial UK gallon is 4.54609 litres. A UK gallon is bigger than a US gallon.

He's running on LPG which is cheaper than petrol. Google quick answers say the average price of LPG is 88p per litre and the average price of super unleaded is £1.6353.

1.6353 / 0.88 = 1.858.

So if he got 29.94298 mpg on LPG then his running costs were the equivalent to getting 55.64mpg on super unleaded (assuming average prices for both fuels).

Last edited:
Didn't see it was LPG, done a quick calculation in my head rough knew it wasn't 60 mpg!!!
Easily done.. He wrote log instead of lpg lol.

Hehe I think he meant he was running on LPG, maybe he meant he looked at the 'log' (fuel computer) which said 10.6km/L and was running on petrol not LPG... In which case his running costs would be the equivalent of 29.94298mpg because he'd be paying petrol prices instead of cheaper LPG prices.

Sorry just realised my spelling mistake haha.
Yeh I get my lpg for 78p so I guesstimated about 60mpg equivalent regardless that's a win for me! As driving around town I'm only getting 6kml

For flips sake! All these calculations...
All they prove is that you're either terrible at maths or you're obsessed with saving a few pennies.
Just accept that Elgrand drink premium petrol and it hurts.
But it's a nice kind of pain, like you don't want to admit to....
🤭😳

Haha.
It's a lot more than a few pennies tbf.
@Lpgc I've noticed when idling I get a few bit of mist steam coming from the exhausts , is this normal for lpg?also do you agree the lpg fuel gauge arent very accurate?
All they prove is that you're either terrible at maths or you're obsessed with saving a few pennies.
🤭😳

🤭😳
Or.... I'm very good at maths and running on LPG just about halves fuel bills :p

I've driven my 2 LPG converted 3.5 V6 4x4 E51 Elgrands a total of around 60000 miles and in the process saved around £7000 which is more than a few pennies.

Running my Elgrand 'hurts' just about as much as running the missus' 1.2 Corsa, because it costs about the same to run in fuel bills. No pain at all, smiling while I'm filling it up.

Last edited:
Or.... I'm very good at maths and running on LPG just about halves fuel bills :p

I've driven my 2 LPG converted 3.5 V6 4x4 E51 Elgrands a total of around 60000 miles and in the process saved around £7000 which is more than a few pennies.

Running my Elgrand 'hurts' just about as much as running the missus' 1.2 Corsa, because it costs about the same to run in fuel bills. No pain at all, smiling while I'm filling it up.
Of course, I must apologise. It goes without saying that LPG(c) conversion is the ultimate Elastoplast for the mpg pain.
Apologies!

Of course, I must apologise. It goes without saying that LPG(c) conversion is the ultimate Elastoplast for the mpg pain.
Apologies!
Hehe, no worries Mark mate and no need to apologise.

I took a bit of a liberty in quoting you, you didn't say my maths or facts were wrong and you were correct on many levels.

Hey guys,

i think something is wrong with my fuel economy 😅
The best i had within 2 years was 7,6km/L
Average is between 5,5 and 6,5 ... i thinks thats pretty high 😅

Any way to test the oxygen sensors ?
and if they are "broke", which one can i use ?
350z ?

My car is a S1 Elgrand E51 with VQ35DE
60mm Downpipes with 2x 400cpi catalytic converters and a 3" Catback

Hey guys,

350z ?

I've had my 4wd 2.5 litre E51 for just a few months now, and first calculation of fuel use seems similar to yours: about 6.88km/L (by my calculations, around 20mpg) and that's doing a fair bit of freeway driving. It seems a bit excessive. Have you had any luck improving the mileage? and were the oxygen sensors (whatever these might be...) an issue?

I've had my 4wd 2.5 litre E51 for just a few months now, and first calculation of fuel use seems similar to yours: about 6.88km/L (by my calculations, around 20mpg) and that's doing a fair bit of freeway driving. It seems a bit excessive. Have you had any luck improving the mileage? and were the oxygen sensors (whatever these might be...) an issue?
Whatever Elgrand you have, they are 2 tonnes and shaped like a shed. Yours isnt broken, its what they do. The 2.5 has to work harder than the 3.5 so they don't do that much different in fuel consumption. Thats why they don't sell large engined petrol MPVs in the UK....

Whatever Elgrand you have, they are 2 tonnes and shaped like a shed. Yours isnt broken, its what they do. The 2.5 has to work harder than the 3.5 so they don't do that much different in fuel consumption. Thats why they don't sell large engined petrol MPVs in the UK....
I love my 3.5l shed and to be honest not interested in fuel economy, I knew it was gonna be juicy before I purchased it.
I absolutely love driving it and when it needs some fuel I put some in

5.5 maybe.

Hey mate,

actually I did absolutly nothing so far 🙈

My buddys Chevy Avalanche with a V8 weighs 2,5t and with a 2t trailer his consumtion is around 7,5km/l

Hey guys,

350z ?

This is about right, last 25k kms my car has averaged about the same though lot cheaper to run since last year due to conversion by Simon.

Back