• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

Hi Karen and Richard, I've converted a lot of Elgrands to LPG recently, there are quite a few threads in the 'Fuel Prices / Alternative Fuels' section of this forum about some of those I've converted (including George322's Elgrand), lots of other vehicles I converted on LPGForum where I'm kind of the resident expert.

Thanks for the mention Dave.

Simon
We would highly recommend Simon, and LPG install, we don't have any issues at all with it ,fuel cost is fairly reasonable ,I would definitely recommend LPG its the only way to go if its a daily driver like ours.

Are there any Kiwis on this forum who can comment on how the Elgrand performs with the various fuels available here?

I bought my first e51 with the intention of keeping and running our diesel hatch to do the day to day stuff and using e51 for weekend / long trips. Unfortunately that didn’t work out as e51 is so nice day to day making even a mundane trip to the doctors / local shops etc enjoyable that the economical hatch never left the driveway. The 51 ended up doing mileage that would have been spread over two cars (20k miles per year) so lpg was a worthwhile investment/ risk and was easy to get as last house was surrounded by lpg forecourts.

Since my house move I’m probably only doing 8k miles per year so it’s Momentum all the way for me (as it’s my closest garage) and the one local lpg forecourt is the wrong side of town.
I am considering to get an E51 and your story sounds like what my future looks like 😂. It seems there isn't many LPG suppliers near me so I've even started to research on where I might be able to get them that don't require too much of detour just to get LPG. I sat in one yesterday at a garage and I didn't even drive it. Felt awesome. 🤣

Hi all, we have just recently picked our Elgrand (a 2009 E51 S3 with the 3.5l engine). It's getting about 4km/l with quite careful driving (no burning away from the lights, etc). Any suggestions for checks or maintenance items to do to improve on this (I read somewhere maybe putting an additive in the tank to clean the injectors?) Any help or advice welcomed!

Reactions: Bal
Hi all, we have just recently picked our Elgrand (a 2009 E51 S3 with the 3.5l engine). It's getting about 4km/l with quite careful driving (no burning away from the lights, etc). Any suggestions for checks or maintenance items to do to improve on this (I read somewhere maybe putting an additive in the tank to clean the injectors?) Any help or advice welcomed!
Hi is this in town?

Reactions: Bal
Elgrands are terrible on fuel, way worse than you would expect. A quick search on here will tell you that!! There really isn't anything wrong with it, that's what they do. It's a 2 tonne van with a 3.5L engine and the aerodynamics of a shed. I stopped using mine as a main car when I hit £400 a month on petrol. (And that was over 2 years ago!)

Seems a bit low, I get around 6.5-7
PCV and plugs changed?
Any smoking?

Elgrands are terrible on fuel, way worse than you would expect. A quick search on here will tell you that!! There really isn't anything wrong with it, that's what they do. It's a 2 tonne van with a 3.5L engine and the aerodynamics of a shed. I stopped using mine as a main car when I hit £400 a month on petrol. (And that was over 2 years ago!)
Thanks, I do appreciate that and bought the van knowing this, but it does seem lower than others are getting, which is why I asked the question.

Seems a bit low, I get around 6.5-7
PCV and plugs changed?
Any smoking?
No smoking, the engine seems to be running fine. I haven't changed the PCV or plugs, I might go through the E51 technical section and see if there is a guide for doing these jobs. The van didn't really come with much history, so it has just had an oil and filter change so far.

If you are believing the readout on the driver info screen then you should reset it.
Hi, thanks, I did that this morning and am hoping that with a mix of driving it will give a more balanced reading, I just wondered if there are any easy maintenance items which could be impacting it - I will look into PCV valve and spark plug replacements as suggested by Gwilo365.

Very true monsieur! Fronts too!
Thanks guys, it has actually had all four pads and discs replaced recently.

I presume that they're not dragging, how would I figure out if they are? A specific noise?

It's a mixture of around town and a couple of long runs.
It does seem to be a bit low. I am averaging 7.4, but of course it depends how it is driven. Heavy right foot and the number comes tumbling down, but sometimes I love to do that just to hear the noise from the exhaust on kick down, always makes me smile. It also shocks others when they see the acceleration these have! :)

Thanks guys, it has actually had all four pads and discs replaced recently.

I presume that they're not dragging, how would I figure out if they are? A specific noise?
From experience, you usually smell the burning smell, as well as massively hot wheels. Following this you get a horrible grinding noise. If you then decide to still drive the car to the garage (slowly!) to get fixed the noise gets worse, you boil all your brake fluid, you end up with no brakes working and you have to replace your entire caliper and disc. I wish I hadn't done that twice, but I have. Next time I will get a flatbed, probably cheaper.

Edit: doing this also screws your bearings and destroys your alloys.

Mine gets similar kpl. I'm aprox 90% town driving 10% longer runs. When reset and a bit of run got higher around the 8 mark but soon dropped when back to the work commute. I don't drive with fuel economy in mind so that probably doesn't help. Worked it out about equivalent of 15mpg, I run LPG and that's about half the price of super so makes it more like cost of 30mpg (rough man maths and if I'm wrong please don't correct my ignorance can keep my head in the sand on how much it costs haha).

As said binding brakes or calipers or bearing issues normally given away by wheels being hot to the touch and on a previous car could see smoke coming from the wheel when stopped.

Don't know how your access to lpg is but I'm lucky enough to have 3 different sources on my 10min work commute so for me it's a no brainer and makes it easier for me to use mine as a daily driver.

From experience, you usually smell the burning smell, as well as massively hot wheels. Following this you get a horrible grinding noise. If you then decide to still drive the car to the garage (slowly!) to get fixed the noise gets worse, you boil all your brake fluid, you end up with no brakes working and you have to replace your entire caliper and disc. I wish I hadn't done that twice, but I have. Next time I will get a flatbed, probably cheaper.

Edit: doing this also screws your bearings and destroys your alloys.
Crikey that sounds awful, I don't think that's the issue then!

I may get a flat bed myself and just drive it around on that, sounds cheaper for fuel, and at least I'd still get to look at the van!

Crikey that sounds awful, I don't think that's the issue then!

I may get a flat bed myself and just drive it around on that, sounds cheaper for fuel, and at least I'd still get to look at the van!
That sounds like a plan! You do get used to the cost, you just spend less on other stuff. Like food, or children.

No joke, I am literally leasing a new car for less than the price I was paying on fueling the Elgrand a month. But at least I get to keep it (its much cheaper to run standing still) and i do enjoy taking it out every couple of weeks for a change, go camping or if I need to lug something big.

Back