• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

This is
Expect poor economy. Really. I'm not gonna lie to you.

They are a 2 tonne bus with pretty appalling aerodynamics and large engines. They are designed for comfort and luxury, not for cheap motoring.

As a brief run down:

E50 QD32 3.2 Diesel - 26mpg average. 18mpg around the doors. 36mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 ZD30 3.0 Diesel - 28mpg average. 20mpg around the doors. 40mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 VG33 3.3 V6 - 18mpg average. 14mpg around the doors. 28mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 VQ35 3.5 V6 - 16mpg average. 12mpg around the doors. 28mpg on long runs at 55.

E51 VQ25 2.5 V6 - 22mpg average. 18mpg around the doors. 32mpg on long runs at 55.

E51 VQ35 3.5 V6 - 20mpg average. 16mpg around the doors. 30mpg on long runs at 55.

These are worst case scenarios. If you are getting less than this, you have a problem (either with your engine or your right foot). If you go into buying an Elgrand with these figures in mind, then you won't be swearing 6 months down the line when you are on first name terms with every petrol station attendant within 30 miles of your house.
A good reality check. It is a mini birds. Heavy. Not optimized for fuel usage

Hi all, have recently bought a 51 Elgrand converted to LPG. Seller said approx 300 Miles petrol & 300 miles LPG. However, on the last (full fill ofLPG) I only managed 280kms! (Obviously no where near 300miles). Does this sound right or should I get the LPG system checked out? Sorry, it's the 3.5v6 version. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi all, have recently bought a 51 Elgrand converted to LPG. Seller said approx 300 Miles petrol & 300 miles LPG. However, on the last (full fill ofLPG) I only managed 280kms! (Obviously no where near 300miles). Does this sound right or should I get the LPG system checked out? Sorry, it's the 3.5v6 version. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Depends on the tank size. I get 55-60 litres of lpg in mine and do about 350km before running out. Depends also on what you use it for. Short stop start trips will really bring down economy.

Thanks John, my tank is 55-60 litres as well so I'll see how it does (currently on about 188kms), fingers crossed I close in on 350! (Use mine back & forth to work, 70mile round trip, about a third on country roads, the rest dual carriageway). Determined to make it work, fantastic to drive, absolutely love it! (Don't put the 'hammer' down though, although it's really tempting sometimes, especially when that little 'devil' is on your shoulder)!

Sorry, forgot to ask, are the 'Gas gauges' notoriously' inaccurate?

Hi Karen and Richard, I've converted a lot of Elgrands to LPG recently, there are quite a few threads in the 'Fuel Prices / Alternative Fuels' section of this forum about some of those I've converted (including George322's Elgrand), lots of other vehicles I converted on LPGForum where I'm kind of the resident expert.

Thanks for the mention Dave.

Simon
you sure are Simon.....

just got my e51 yesterday. Head down to heathrow from Birmingham and back today, took half a tank of petrol driving at an average speed of 100km or 60mile. Does it seems normal ?

just got my e51 yesterday. Head down to heathrow from Birmingham and back today, took half a tank of petrol driving at an average speed of 100km or 60mile. Does it seems normal ?
Sounds better than usual really. 👍🏻

I've had my Elgrand converted and it is great, I haven't noticed any difference in power etc when using it and although i didn't get my conversion from Simon @Lpgc (he is on the forum) I would defo use him in the future for any other cars I get converted, he really knows his stuff and when I had a problem with my one he sorted the problem out and it has run sweet ever since!

On another note, I am thinking about buying another Range Rover Vogue and I would love a petrol version, how did you find the fuel economy when running on LPG? And were the figures similar when running on petrol? I've only had 1 petrol version but its an old J plate 3.9V8!

Thanks in advance
I'm a big fan of lpg convertion. I had zafira converted. Than mini :)

Some recent stats:
1st fill, around 10L/100km (23.5 mpg), driving 300km mostly of highway in 2WD going up about 1000m.
2nd fill, around 14L/100km (16.8 mpg), driving 70km mostly of hills and around villages in Auto + POWER and perhaps being a bit heavy footed.
Both summer, around 30-40C sunny weather, V6 with 98 octane fuel.

I average 19 miles per gallon. Right foot enjoyment issue 🤗 with with the 3.5 engine, 2wd.

26 miles per gallon if i am trying to be good which is really hard for me.

Some recent stats:
1st fill, around 10L/100km (23.5 mpg), driving 300km mostly of highway in 2WD going up about 1000m.
2nd fill, around 14L/100km (16.8 mpg), driving 70km mostly of hills and around villages in Auto + POWER and perhaps being a bit heavy footed.
Both summer, around 30-40C sunny weather, V6 with 98 octane fuel.
You're showing off now! double digit MPG! Obviously not been chasing many T5's away at the lights like the rest of us 🤣 🤣

I average 19 miles per gallon. Right foot enjoyment issue 🤗 with with the 3.5 engine, 2wd.

26 miles per gallon if i am trying to be good which is really hard for me.
I can see just short of 30mpg on a feather-footed, long glide up the M6, soon drops like a soddin stone once I'm back on the A & B roads 🤣
If I lived my Elgrand life shlepping up and down the motorways at a lazy 60mph I would never worry about fuel costs, sadly I travel my weekly commute of 60 miles across town and back. This costs me about the same as the 220 mile drive to @Russ1's delightful gaff in Dumfries & Galloway.
but hey, I own an Elgrand, I love it. The best things in life aren't free.....

You're showing off now! double digit MPG! Obviously not been chasing many T5's away at the lights like the rest of us 🤣 🤣
Well there are perhaps 2 traffic lights from the motorway west of Sydney to Goulburn, although it is a big climb. So not many opportunities. Not many VW around here but I assure you I've "had" a few CLAs by now (the new BMW drivers)

2020-Mercedes-CLA-200-sedan-red-1001x565-%281%29.jpg

Back