• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

They are super comfy inside. I am doing my Elgie research in the driver's seat and it's very pleasant. Personally, I know that the vehicle is not economical, but I have a mindset of making it as economical within its possibility as I can. LPG and using it as the day-tripper, 55mph and point A to point B (and return). Having 6 spare seats is almost a crime. Having said that, when the need arises, there is always enough power to float away from situations. My Missus likens people driving too close behind to having one's back licked. Eww. Foot down... bye bye.
I love the cruising aspect, wafting along pisses off those in a rush lol. You only need to push the loud pedal hard if you're next to a T5 "£60K Plumber's Day Van" or leaving a Max Power Corsa dead at the lights LOL

Funniest thing I've read in ages today thanks to some news website somewhere: "Hypermiling"!

Hmm, let me think....
The truly pathetic satisifaction of saving a few quid in the month from driving like you're in a 1990 1.1ltr Astra, or using the 3.5ltr V6 "enthusiastically" as Keith says above???!
I bet the Hypermilers are the same muppets who keep you ages in the checkout queue at Tescos while they dig out and unfold all of their printed-out-at-home coupons for 5p off a bag of potatoes, and 15p off a tube of Colgate.

Hypermiling. LoL!

Funniest thing I've read in ages today thanks to some news website somewhere: "Hypermiling"!

Hmm, let me think....
The truly pathetic satisifaction of saving a few quid in the month from driving like you're in a 1990 1.1ltr Astra, or using the 3.5ltr V6 "enthusiastically" as Keith says above???!
I bet the Hypermilers are the same muppets who keep you ages in the checkout queue at Tescos while they dig out and unfold all of their printed-out-at-home coupons for 5p off a bag of potatoes, and 15p off a tube of Colgate.

Hypermiling. LoL!
Thanks for giving the itch a name, Mark76e. I bet one could squeeze a few more brushes out if the toothpaste by fine bodywork polishing, hoovering up all those boat-anchor dirt particles from the carpet and most importantly of all... think like a Hypermiler... face forward, aerodynamic smile, eyes peeled for the telltale signs of winds.

Of course the best tactic is to siphon fuel at the Elgrand meets, but only from the tanks of the heavy-footed :) lol

What about a bunch of transparent balloons filled with helium in a net, in the back?

Simon converted mine & a full tank of LPG got me 317 mine going at 72 driving from Wolverhampton to Dundee last week. Cost me 84.9 for LPG about 85lt

Expect poor economy. Really. I'm not gonna lie to you.

They are a 2 tonne bus with pretty appalling aerodynamics and large engines. They are designed for comfort and luxury, not for cheap motoring.

As a brief run down:

E50 QD32 3.2 Diesel - 26mpg average. 18mpg around the doors. 36mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 ZD30 3.0 Diesel - 28mpg average. 20mpg around the doors. 40mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 VG33 3.3 V6 - 18mpg average. 14mpg around the doors. 28mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 VQ35 3.5 V6 - 16mpg average. 12mpg around the doors. 28mpg on long runs at 55.

E51 VQ25 2.5 V6 - 22mpg average. 18mpg around the doors. 32mpg on long runs at 55.

E51 VQ35 3.5 V6 - 20mpg average. 16mpg around the doors. 30mpg on long runs at 55.

These are worst case scenarios. If you are getting less than this, you have a problem (either with your engine or your right foot). If you go into buying an Elgrand with these figures in mind, then you won't be swearing 6 months down the line when you are on first name terms with every petrol station attendant within 30 miles of your house.
Thanks extremely useful not bought one yet

Just get it bought. There's enough of them in Blackpool now to keep Tesco in business for superunleaded and Morrisons stocking LPG for the next five years at this rate👍

Although it's tough on the fuel pocket they make up for it in comfort and all round practical use, it's a love thing for sure :)

Took a friend out in mine for the first time today. He drives a VW and loves his t5.
When I floored it from standstill to a legal 60mph his jaw nearly fell into his lap!

Yeah, they're thirsty.
But worth it!

We have found that our 3.5 V6 at 70mph is in the 22/23 mpg area , what kills it is the "bye bye nail it " traffic light Grand prix stuff , still worth it just to shut down a Range Rover sport , last Friday , fuel cost bearable , look on RRovers drivers face Priceless lol:D:D, I know someone will say the RR is faster 0-60 or whatever but its reaction time off the lights that counts , and NO , that wasnt not in a town or built up area .and as far as im aware , there is no saying how fast you can get even to 30mph if thats the speed limit ?
Haha this is one thing I miss about my old car 😂

Hi,

Just comparing some notes I've seen on MPG, it says somewhere that "normal" unleaded is suitable for E51 2.5 to save cost, but I think this was prior to the new watered down unleaded that's available, so how have people got on with the new E10?

Also, I live fairly rural, 20-30 minutes to a motorway, and "around town" actually means through the forest and villages, so less stop start but not always in a straight line at 70, so I am not sure what the MPG might be like in this case.

This isn't going to put me off buying one - I just wondered if people had experiences that they might share so I am prepped when I purchase!

Thanks
Paul

Come to think of it the carpet that is due to come up and be replaced will be the exact size so I can use that. Will test out and upload the dimensions if it works

Hi,

Just comparing some notes I've seen on MPG, it says somewhere that "normal" unleaded is suitable for E51 2.5 to save cost, but I think this was prior to the new watered down unleaded that's available, so how have people got on with the new E10?

Also, I live fairly rural, 20-30 minutes to a motorway, and "around town" actually means through the forest and villages, so less stop start but not always in a straight line at 70, so I am not sure what the MPG might be like in this case.

This isn't going to put me off buying one - I just wondered if people had experiences that they might share so I am prepped when I purchase!

Thanks
Paul
I've standardised on Tesco Momentum 99.

I've standardised on Tesco Momentum 99.
Yes I've gone for that and it seems reasonable and usually a bit cheaper than other super unleaded at other garages.

I'm going against the grain & finding the ZD30 E50 a very attractive option. Given the limited garages doing LPG down here I'm feeling reluctantly drawn towards dirty diesel. The 3.0 diesel looks pretty good on economy & right now that really matters.

Just bought an Elgrand... 3.5 V6 but as I'm forever scraping by it had to be lpg converted. By Simon I'm told and works excellently, notice no difference in power and fuel economy is akin to your average medium van it seems to me.

Just there's an absolute monster there under the bonnet shoukd you need to call on it... 😏

Expect poor economy. Really. I'm not gonna lie to you.

They are a 2 tonne bus with pretty appalling aerodynamics and large engines. They are designed for comfort and luxury, not for cheap motoring.

As a brief run down:

E50 QD32 3.2 Diesel - 26mpg average. 18mpg around the doors. 36mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 ZD30 3.0 Diesel - 28mpg average. 20mpg around the doors. 40mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 VG33 3.3 V6 - 18mpg average. 14mpg around the doors. 28mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 VQ35 3.5 V6 - 16mpg average. 12mpg around the doors. 28mpg on long runs at 55.

E51 VQ25 2.5 V6 - 22mpg average. 18mpg around the doors. 32mpg on long runs at 55.

E51 VQ35 3.5 V6 - 20mpg average. 16mpg around the doors. 30mpg on long runs at 55.

These are worst case scenarios. If you are getting less than this, you have a problem (either with your engine or your right foot). If you go into buying an Elgrand with these figures in mind, then you won't be swearing 6 months down the line when you are on first name terms with every petrol station attendant within 30 miles of your house.
We have just done a 2041 mile round trip from Kent to the Cairngorms via Whitby on the way up and Nottingham on the way home and what with us converting it to a hybrid campervan by putting in a self made rear cabinet and seat bench but keeping the middle seats we have worked it out to be 32 mpg which includes 65 to 70 mph on motorways. So I think that is very good considering the weight. The fact it is 23 years old she has done really well and purred along at 2000 revs :)

I agree ..big fuel difference with speed.
But when youve got a luxury mini bus.... mobile home...a van and a ute all in one vehicle who cares.

I agree ..big fuel difference with speed.
But when youve got a luxury mini bus.... mobile home...a van and a ute all in one vehicle who cares.
very true and we love our Elg :)

Back