• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

In my 14 years on the road iv done 2.1million miles
In your 40 years you've coverd 2 million lol

In my early years of driving I never uses to use the exhaust or engine breake when unloaded you carnt tell a didfrence bit loaded you cab see a missive diffrece so trips into Wales Scotland or the lakes ate very hilly and my car and caravan use ro weight 5500kg and you could tell the brakes wanted to give up by the bottom and no it wasn't overloaded and it's was loaded correctly for eve weight distribution ended up doing same in my personal vehicle as I did with my truck and found I dint need to keep having my I brakes to let the brakes cool down engine won't over hear as there is no load on the engine the high revs are caused by momentum and as I stated in s previous post it reduces fuel as its all run by momentum and not fuel compared to those that nock it in to neutral and coast this is the way I got 32mpg going to Devon that and reading the road ahead
Respect m8

That made me chuckle.

Those MPG numbers are crazy but it’s understandable. You’re essentially driving round a little hotel on wheels.

Its made for drivers like myself (hgv) so going up a steep hill you can drop gears to save loosing momentum not that that will happen often in a car but I have seen in like wise coming down hill car will start to run away and will opt for higher gears letting it run away even faster being able to override gives you better controll of the car my Elgrand is 2 difrent beasts when I drive daily and when I drive camping and will be a even more diffeent beast when towing only thing o wish vmvars had trucks don't is a exhaust brake aswell brakes disks and pads would last a life time
It may be possible to fit exhaust take to qd3.2 engine🤔was talking to a South African guy with a Nissan patrol4.2 kitted out as an overlander/camper and he was planning on fitting exhaust brake from I think a cabstar?that had same manifold.I know the cabstar had qd for some markets so sounds plausible.would be useful add on but poss not worth the cost/effort,anyone not used to retarders would be surprised how well they work😉😉

Perhaps not so much an issue in the UK, but I have driven roads where if you let the auto box do its thing rather than using it manually you will burn out your brakes and crash. I change down manually not to slow down, but to maintain speed on a downgrade with only a light touch if any on the brakes, which apart from ensuring better fuel economy helps reduce brake pad wear as well as temperatures.

I have encountered an automatic gearbox that actually does this down change on hills itself - The Jatco gearbox fitted to the first generation Freelanders will, if there is no throttle input and road speed is increasing change down a gear. I was kinda hoping that this feature might have been on the Elgrand since obviously it also has a Japanese gearbox but unfortunately no.
I think the change down on freelanders and other off road types is part of their hill descent control system🤔wonder if terrano/mavericks have similar as it's pretty much same as allmode system I think🚐🚐🚜🚜

Perhaps not so much an issue in the UK, but I have driven roads where if you let the auto box do its thing rather than using it manually you will burn out your brakes and crash. I change down manually not to slow down, but to maintain speed on a downgrade with only a light touch if any on the brakes, which apart from ensuring better fuel economy helps reduce brake pad wear as well as temperatures.

I have encountered an automatic gearbox that actually does this down change on hills itself - The Jatco gearbox fitted to the first generation Freelanders will, if there is no throttle input and road speed is increasing change down a gear. I was kinda hoping that this feature might have been on the Elgrand since obviously it also has a Japanese gearbox but unfortunately no.
Ian
Mine does gear down on it's own, (only had it do this one gear not multiple so far, ) in the right conditions S1 2002 X model, owned for 15 years in may.

Hey folks, So I hear what yall saying about fuel economy and why buy an Elgrand it that's what you want but all the same was wondering if anyone has knocked up a spreadsheet to work out real world mpg figures?

I have made one but I dont think its that good will have another crack

feel like I would need quite a few thumbs figuring in petrol, lpg, metric and imperial :)

feel like I would need quite a few thumbs figuring in petrol, lpg, metric and imperial :)
I was getting same result from petrol and lpg
Give or take 0.5mpg
16mpg towing 2ton at 60
17mpg 1 mile trips to school and back when on furlongh
22 mpg normal town driving
27 to 32 long motorway
Half all the figures if you like to leave the lights in dust

Hey folks, So I hear what yall saying about fuel economy and why buy an Elgrand it that's what you want but all the same was wondering if anyone has knocked up a spreadsheet to work out real world mpg figures?
The way I see it; why torment ourselves calculating what we know?
They're thirsty beasts when driven carefully. Very thirsty when driven hard.
No amount of excel tweaking will change that.
LPG is the only option to save a few quid in the medium to long term.

Is anybody finding it hard to get LPG? I drove to Louth from Waltham for LPG to be told they didn’t have any & didn’t know when it would be available!
Looked online & it seems a shortage countrywide!

The shenanigan's in Ukraine won't be helping and UK stickers refusing to unload a tanker that arrived the other day (russian gas/crude that set off before Sanctions) probably a factor as it was diverted to Tranmere ( cargo destined for Stanlow).
I'd appreciate some honesty - the Morrisons best me put up signs saying the LPG pumps where broken. I enquired a few days later when it would be fixed .."it's not broken, to we just don't have any and haven't been able to get a delivery"..... But when those leading the country have a tenuous relationship with the truth, the little people will follow suit....

as a new owner I want to see these figures Irl but yea I take your point

Is anybody finding it hard to get LPG? I drove to Louth from Waltham for LPG to be told they didn’t have any & didn’t know when it would be available!
Looked online & it seems a shortage countrywide!

There does seem to be a countrywide shortage, I am also finding it hard to get LPG. Trouble is that Propane is in high demand for heating this time of year, and heating supplies are prioritised so if there is a shortage it is the automotive supplies that are abandoned first. There must be a pretty severe shortage as all my local garages have been out for weeks, even the Asda which only very rarely runs out.

There does seem to be a countrywide shortage, I am also finding it hard to get LPG. Trouble is that Propane is in high demand for heating this time of year, and heating supplies are prioritised so if there is a shortage it is the automotive supplies that are abandoned first. There must be a pretty severe shortage as all my local garages have been out for weeks, even the Asda which only very rarely runs out.
Yes, morrisons are out. my local gas place thinks everything is fine bt say that the supply pipes run through russia. I cannot speak to the validity of that

Yes, morrisons are out. my local gas place thinks everything is fine bt say that the supply pipes run through russia. I cannot speak to the validity of that

Propane is made from crude oil. The Flogas excuse was a shortage of drivers. Not only that but the shortages began well before Russia's recent foreign policy disaster.

The problem you midland lot have got is your duplicate normally comes from flo gas and the forecourt won't look for other supplies they will just wait for when it dose turn up

Back