• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

Hoping that this really is ‘temporary’
AFCA12A4-0E04-4ED5-B369-B900B5C2160C.jpeg

There does seem to be a countrywide shortage, I am also finding it hard to get LPG. Trouble is that Propane is in high demand for heating this time of year, and heating supplies are prioritised so if there is a shortage it is the automotive supplies that are abandoned first. There must be a pretty severe shortage as all my local garages have been out for weeks, even the Asda which only very rarely runs out.
Propane for heating is in short supply and has been since before the Dickhead invaded Ukraine.
Gas for home (and by default, caravans) is priority so if they can't get it then cars are way down the pecking order.

Propane for heating is in short supply and has been since before the Dickhead invaded Ukraine.

It was in short supply long before he invaded so this one is not on him. Would not put it past suppliers and others using it as a convenient excuse though.

I recently answered 'shortage of LPG' on another thread... and no mention of Putin in Ukraine ;-)

Gwilo365 said:
Assuming you can get any.... Seems to be out of stock and no deliveries all over the place.
🫣
True that there have been problems in some areas recently with forecourts running out of LPG. I believe the issue is Flogas domestic gas customers have been ordering refills for their home tanks, pre-empting fuel price increases. I know that Flogas have been working flat out to deliver gas to all those domestic customers, even delivering on Sunday evenings.

But let's not forget that in very recent times there have been problems with forecourts not having any petrol or diesel, while still having plenty LPG in stock. And an LPG converted Elgrand can run on LPG or petrol while a none LPG converted Elgrand can only run on petrol. So we could say that an LPG converted Elgrand has double the chance of being able to get a fuel that it can run on compared to a petrol only Elgrand.

George filled his Elgrand with LPG today in the same general area as where Andy lives (and paid 68p per litre for LPG using a 7p off per litre voucher), so Andy should also be able to get some LPG.

Throughout supposed LPG shortages I've never not been able to fill 3 Elgrands with LPG per week locally.

We are now heading into times of warmer weather and people have already refilled their domestic tanks with LPG, the increased LPG infrastructure that was installed at a major refinery and caused the last shortage whilst it was being installed is now in place... So I doubt there will be any problems with supply of LPG soon.

--------------------

Now I'll add this - Fuel prices across the board were going up, and before Putin invaded Ukraine. This led to those domestic customers choosing the moment to fill their home tanks before price rises. A bit like when everyone knows petrol is going up at the budget so choose the night before the budget to fill their pertrol tanks, but instead of people just filling up a petrol tank that holds maybe 60 litres of petrol on average they're filling their home heating tanks that hold maybe 1000 litres. There is no shortage of LPG, just that suppliers have been maxed out trying to keep up with deliveries. A situation that will very soon be over, when people have had their bulk deliveries they won't be re-ordering another bulk LPG delivery again for a long time, not least because we are now heading toward warmer weather and people won't be using as much gas for home heating etc.

Hi all,
Would anyone have an up to date on a LPG conversion for a 2.5 Elgrand. Thank you

Best wishes

In what sense?
Friend of ours has a 2.5, no difference in price of getting it done. Had it done a month or two back and still moaned about filling up. Some people won't be happy unless they're driving a cheap french peasant car.🤭

I recently answered 'shortage of LPG' on another thread... and no mention of Putin in Ukraine ;-)

True that there have been problems in some areas recently with forecourts running out of LPG. I believe the issue is Flogas domestic gas customers have been ordering refills for their home tanks, pre-empting fuel price increases. I know that Flogas have been working flat out to deliver gas to all those domestic customers, even delivering on Sunday evenings.

But let's not forget that in very recent times there have been problems with forecourts not having any petrol or diesel, while still having plenty LPG in stock. And an LPG converted Elgrand can run on LPG or petrol while a none LPG converted Elgrand can only run on petrol. So we could say that an LPG converted Elgrand has double the chance of being able to get a fuel that it can run on compared to a petrol only Elgrand.

George filled his Elgrand with LPG today in the same general area as where Andy lives (and paid 68p per litre for LPG using a 7p off per litre voucher), so Andy should also be able to get some LPG.

Throughout supposed LPG shortages I've never not been able to fill 3 Elgrands with LPG per week locally.

We are now heading into times of warmer weather and people have already refilled their domestic tanks with LPG, the increased LPG infrastructure that was installed at a major refinery and caused the last shortage whilst it was being installed is now in place... So I doubt there will be any problems with supply of LPG soon.

--------------------

Now I'll add this - Fuel prices across the board were going up, and before Putin invaded Ukraine. This led to those domestic customers choosing the moment to fill their home tanks before price rises. A bit like when everyone knows petrol is going up at the budget so choose the night before the budget to fill their pertrol tanks, but instead of people just filling up a petrol tank that holds maybe 60 litres of petrol on average they're filling their home heating tanks that hold maybe 1000 litres. There is no shortage of LPG, just that suppliers have been maxed out trying to keep up with deliveries. A situation that will very soon be over, when people have had their bulk deliveries they won't be re-ordering another bulk LPG delivery again for a long time, not least because we are now heading toward warmer weather and people won't be using as much gas for home heating etc.
And an LPG house cannot run on mains gas

Hi all,
Would anyone have an up to date on a LPG conversion for a 2.5 Elgrand. Thank you

Best wishes
What do you want to know Danny?

Converting a 2.5 E51 Elgrand is much the same as converting a 3.5 E51 Elgrand, there are only very minor differences to the parts needed, just a change to the setup and calibration. It costs me 40p more for parts to convert a 2.5 than it costs me to convert a 3.5 lol.

I charge the same price to convert 2.5 or 3.5 E51's.

Expect poor economy. Really. I'm not gonna lie to you.

They are a 2 tonne bus with pretty appalling aerodynamics and large engines. They are designed for comfort and luxury, not for cheap motoring.

As a brief run down:

E50 QD32 3.2 Diesel - 26mpg average. 18mpg around the doors. 36mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 ZD30 3.0 Diesel - 28mpg average. 20mpg around the doors. 40mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 VG33 3.3 V6 - 18mpg average. 14mpg around the doors. 28mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 VQ35 3.5 V6 - 16mpg average. 12mpg around the doors. 28mpg on long runs at 55.

E51 VQ25 2.5 V6 - 22mpg average. 18mpg around the doors. 32mpg on long runs at 55.

E51 VQ35 3.5 V6 - 20mpg average. 16mpg around the doors. 30mpg on long runs at 55.

These are worst case scenarios. If you are getting less than this, you have a problem (either with your engine or your right foot). If you go into buying an Elgrand with these figures in mind, then you won't be swearing 6 months down the line when you are on first name terms with every petrol station attendant within 30 miles of your house.
Any figures for E52s?

Had a Range Rover 4.4 V8 that was an LPG conversion, couldn't have kept it on the road if it wasn't! Looking at converting the Elgrand, has anyone else done this?
It's the only reason that I bought my 1999 VG33E and it's half the reason the previous owner sold, as their nearest was 20 miles away (the other was limited parking available). I filled up the LPG tank the other day in Wigan (cheers, Boss) and the Elgrand refused to click over. Any ideas? Thanks.

It's the only reason that I bought my 1999 VG33E and it's half the reason the previous owner sold, as their nearest was 20 miles away (the other was limited parking available). I filled up the LPG tank the other day in Wigan (cheers, Boss) and the Elgrand refused to click over. Any ideas? Thanks.
I try and avoid boss in wigan as they never let me put a full tank in they always stop tank around 50l but unable to help why it won't run or switch over @Lpgc Is the guru

I try and avoid boss in wigan as they never let me put a full tank in they always stop tank around 50l but unable to help why it won't run or switch over @Lpgc Is the guru
Thanks for the reply, Kenzie (Mary Poppins). I was in a position and was really happy to see an LPG place. Oh and I just got my exhausts done by Ken at Danmar Performance Exhausts. He showed me what a mess that the cats had become. I just hope that the engine isn't FUBAR.

I'll have a read of the posts by @Lgpc and hopefully it'll have been covered.

As for your 50l max, maybe it's to hedge against running out and having to turn customers away. Did you ask why?

Thanks for the reply, Kenzie (Mary Poppins). I was in a position and was really happy to see an LPG place. Oh and I just got my exhausts done by Ken at Danmar Performance Exhausts. He showed me what a mess that the cats had become. I just hope that the engine isn't FUBAR.

I'll have a read of the posts by @Lgpc and hopefully it'll have been covered.

As for your 50l max, maybe it's to hedge against running out and having to turn customers away. Did you ask why?
It's been a local garage for 2 years il start pumping it in and watch them turn pump of from inside there area few local if that's where your from I'm over the road in skelmersdale

Oh! I got pump attended. Felt like Royalty lol I guess that they are concerned with drive-off's? Maybe pay up front?

I was just visiting for repairs, but because it has am LPG station, I'll be passing again. As time goes on, I'll know more about this vehicle and will look to make contact with similar. Right now, I know very little and have blown my budget already. I was determined to pay for this vehicle and it's needs by selling all the stuff that I have collected over the years. Makes it easier to just get in and go, huh?

Have just gone over the 100,000 K mark in the Cho , thats only 72,000 K in 14 months , on petrol , if I had wanted to save fuel I wouldnt have bought an Elgie , why buy a thirsty big vehicle and then spend to make it economical ? , plenty of 1.9 T4s about to do the same job cheaper , however I wouldnt have met such a nice bunch of people on this forum , always ready to accept the diversity of the group and not judge or preach or use it as a marketing media .
They are super comfy inside. I am doing my Elgie research in the driver's seat and it's very pleasant. Personally, I know that the vehicle is not economical, but I have a mindset of making it as economical within its possibility as I can. LPG and using it as the day-tripper, 55mph and point A to point B (and return). Having 6 spare seats is almost a crime. Having said that, when the need arises, there is always enough power to float away from situations. My Missus likens people driving too close behind to having one's back licked. Eww. Foot down... bye bye.

Back