• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

I got the tyres checked & pressure adjusted this morning, $0 at local tyre shop. They gave me the name of an exhaust place up the street, but won't get there til next week unless he's open Saturday. Hoping the cats won't cost big $$ as I want a towbar asap!

@Skaface reckons any exhaust shop would do it. I'm in the northern suburbs how about you?
I had this done by an exhaust shop after I explained the problem to them. As it is not legal to remove them, they made sure that the invoice said 'exhaust repair' so that there was no issue of someone coming back at them. For another one I had the cores removed, so its not obvious, but I did that myself. In reality most people would not know how many cats are fitted to Elgrands and the front ones are good enough to pass any emission tests (not that anyone normal does this).

I got the tyres checked & pressure adjusted this morning, $0 at local tyre shop. They gave me the name of an exhaust place up the street, but won't get there til next week unless he's open Saturday. Hoping the cats won't cost big $$ as I want a towbar asap!
Have you figured out your towbar yet? Fastfit in Sydney seem to be the place that makes them. I think I paid $700 for the bar and had to fit it myself, so I am not sure how much they charge to fit it.

Have you figured out your towbar yet? Fastfit in Sydney seem to be the place that makes them. I think I paid $700 for the bar and had to fit it myself, so I am not sure how much they charge to fit it.
Thanks, I saw it online for $740 - I'll check if it was Fastfit I think it was. Won't be able to afford it for a bit. The local fitter said it's listed as taking 4-5 hours labour to fit it, how did you find yours?? I might be able to get a friend to help me do it.

where on the main land are you getting your cats done

I had my fronts decored and 200 cell Rear Sports CATs fitted by HIB Exhausts in Anglesey a year ago. Only took half a day. Visited a car museum and had a bike ride during that time, was a nice day out. 😉 Recently had LPG fitted so probably didn't need to get the Sports CATs in the end.

Thanks, I saw it online for $740 - I'll check if it was Fastfit I think it was. Won't be able to afford it for a bit. The local fitter said it's listed as taking 4-5 hours labour to fit it, how did you find yours?? I might be able to get a friend to help me do it.
The fitting of these is pretty involved. It requires drilling part of the chassis. I think I know what I am doing mechanically but I still had to ring them to ask them how to fit it. Some cars are simple 'bolt-on' towbars. These are not. It sounds like you would be better off paying someone to fit it as you also have to worry about the electrical connection side of things.

The fitting of these is pretty involved. It requires drilling part of the chassis. I think I know what I am doing mechanically but I still had to ring them to ask them how to fit it. Some cars are simple 'bolt-on' towbars. These are not. It sounds like you would be better off paying someone to fit it as you also have to worry about the electrical connection side of things.
Thanks - thought so :D

great guy he does my servicing i had a full stainless steel put on by Colonsons Cowplain thats the two front cats no rear cats and full-length exhaust for £1250 and a lifetime guarantee

are your rear cats intact then mate ?
As far as I know all 4 cats are there, I’ve never been able to have a look but I don’t imagine the previous owner was pro-active.

Hi. My E51 only has 26,000 miles in the clock, so I need to worry about the cats yet?
Does anyone know good mechanics for this work in SW London or W London? I would get underseal done too.

I was going to say the same thing as Mary Poppins. It’s probably a combination of age and mileage. My one had similar mileage when I bought it, but based on the advice of the forum, took out the rear cats straight away. 👍
Thanks, I think I will get the rears done. have you had any problems with MOT? I’ve read here that if they notice any tampering it’s automatic MOT fail.

Back