• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 The E51 Catalytic Converter Problem

This is a really helpful post. I had no idea about this problem. Not sure my pockets are deep enough for a full SS system at present though 🤣
that would be the ultimate choice, but for now...get the fronts decored and leave the rest alone.

I bought a set of straight pipes to replace the front cats for £150 on eBay, instead of decoring. Turns out my beast had been done already by the importer, so I returned the pipes for a refund.

where is the place I can get decat complete removal please, I am a new owner recently purchased Elgrand E51, however, dealer said has done his part on the CAT side but not sure what he has done. partly removed or full replacement.

where is the place I can get decat complete removal please, I am a new owner recently purchased Elgrand E51, however, dealer said has done his part on the CAT side but not sure what he has done. partly removed or full replacement.
The vehicle is fitted with 4 cats as standard, you need to ask him which ones he has removed

I would like to see a head count on who hasn’t de cored and still running with no problem, there must be 1000s of Elgrand owners who are not members and will not know of the potential CAT problem.
Also how many members who’s engine has gone due to CATs

I bought my EG from an importer, then I bought my straight pipes on eBay, then I tried to get the cats removed and replaced wih the straight pipes only to find out that the importer had already removed the front cats 🤗🤗🤗 I returned my pipes and got my money back for them. I was a plonker, but a happy one.

sure, I will get more info about the issue as I am bit worried now. Never thought about such a situation.
Thank you
If you look underneath, you should see if the rear cats have been removed. They are situated between the front cats and the back box (silencer). If they have not been replaced by straight through pipes, the rear cats will still be there but could be empty if the internals have been removed. How do you know if the internals have been removed? You could try hitting them and see if they sound hollow. Tricky because you won’t know how they would sound with the catalyst inside. When I removed my rear cats they seemed absolutely perfect with no signs of deposition from the front cats, but the car had only done 30,000km.

I bought my EG from an importer, then I bought my straight pipes on eBay, then I tried to get the cats removed and replaced wih the straight pipes only to find out that the importer had already removed the front cats 🤗🤗🤗 I returned my pipes and got my money back for them. I was a plonker, but a happy one.
You have mentioned twice that you have had your front cats removed - I think you’ve had your rear cats decored.

IMG_0884.jpeg

The cats circled are the rear cats….

If you look underneath, you should see if the rear cats have been removed. They are situated between the front cats and the back box (silencer). If they have not been replaced by straight through pipes, the rear cats will still be there but could be empty if the internals have been removed. How do you know if the internals have been removed? You could try hitting them and see if they sound hollow. Tricky because you won’t know how they would sound with the catalyst inside. When I removed my rear cats they seemed absolutely perfect with no signs of deposition from the front cats, but the car had only done 30,000km.
i took the rear cats off mine at 34,500 miles and they looked like new inside.

You have mentioned twice that you have had your front cats removed - I think you’ve had your rear cats decored.

View attachment 100663
That’s an amazing explanation of what and where the rear cats are! Last time I tried to turn Boris upside down, couldn’t shift it. 😃

View attachment 100663
You are right, I still have all four cats which is why I bought straight pipes, then found out two cats had been decored already. Thanks for clarifying for everyone else too.

You are right, I still have all four cats which is why I bought straight pipes, then found out two cats had been decored already. Thanks for clarifying for everyone else too.
But I’d never have my cat declawed 🙀

I would like to see a head count on who hasn’t de cored and still running with no problem, there must be 1000s of Elgrand owners who are not members and will not know of the potential CAT problem.
Also how many members who’s engine has gone due to CATs
Had to replace my engine due to cat failure.

Cat recall done on mine. I’ve known about the potential problem but haven’t bothered doing anything about it yet. Engine is very strong and quiet, uses zero oil at 138,000KM. (I’ve done 30,000km of that over the past 6 years).

I’ll decore the rear ones when I get around to removing/replacing that giant coffin sized center muffler.

Back