• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

WHAT THE FUCK???!!!!

Son just called me into the garage and guess whats just happened!!!!
Few weeks ago he had the two suspension top mounts replaced due to the mini be lowered and causing pressure on the mounts.
Then a few nights ago he managed to source a strut brace from his mates for €50 which was a bargain!!
He took it off to remove the paint and polish it up as it was bright yellow and then goes to refit and guess what one of the bolts shears off the suspension mount!!!! WTF!!!! Brand new part and my son only tried to tighten the bolt with a 3/8 driver!!!!
(Picture is from the internet!)

View attachment 68765

My son just called the garage and they said he must have tightened it too much!!! WTF
Trying to find out the torque settings for these poxy bolts but no joy, he told me he did not tighten them up that much!
Now he wants to use my Elgrand to go to Basketball tonight as his Mini is out of action!!! :cold_sweat::cold_sweat::poop::poop:
My son stole my nut from my bonnet as he said my Elgrand won't be on the road for a while!! lol The nut did tighten up and apparently it should be torqued to around 25Nm, I did spot that he used my 1/2 inch drive rather than a smaller driver!!!! :cold_sweat:
Do you think this will be okay to use in its current state? The guy from the Mini garage said to drive it very carefully if you have to!

Well looks like he's got to borrow the Elgrand tonight as his steering pump is also leaking and has no fluid left in the steering reservoir!!! Wow BMW's I thought were good quality cars seriously.......!!!!

Image-3.jpegImage-2.jpegImage-1.jpegImage.jpeg

Last edited:
My son just called the garage and they said he must have tightened it too much!!! WTF
Trying to find out the torque settings for these poxy bolts but no joy, he told me he did not tighten them up that much!
Now he wants to use my Elgrand to go to Basketball tonight as his Mini is out of action!!! :cold_sweat::cold_sweat::poop::poop:
My son stole my nut from my bonnet as he said my Elgrand won't be on the road for a while!! lol The nut did tighten up and apparently it should be torqued to around 25Nm, I did spot that he used my 1/2 inch drive rather than a smaller driver!!!! :cold_sweat:
Do you think this will be okay to use in its current state? The guy from the Mini garage said to drive it very carefully if you have to!

View attachment 68766View attachment 68767View attachment 68768View attachment 68769
What are dads for?
Nuts!

Son's borrowed my Elgrand tonight to go to basketball due to his Mini problems!! :eek::poop::cold_sweat:
I asked him to message me when he arrived there, I am still waiting, currently my bums twitching, but he knows I will .... if he harms her!!!!! lol

Son's borrowed my Elgrand tonight to go to basketball due to his Mini problems!! :eek::poop::cold_sweat:
I asked him to message me when he arrived there, I am still waiting, currently my bums twitching, but he knows I will .... if he harms her!!!!! lol
Sounds like he wants to make you squirm a little.

Sounds like he wants to make you squirm a little.

Messaged to say he's on his way back!! lol
You wait next he will want to take the Basketball team in it for Saturdays match!!! :rolleyes:

Well done for slowing down one cant be to careful with kids and speedbumps. Hope the Chelsea tractor drivers realised (and BMW owners ) in general realised that other peoples time is as important as theres.

He's bound to.
Son nicked his nuts.
o_O

So this was what my lad was doing after Basketball whilst my bum was twitching! lol
The guys absolutely loved the van!!!
He came home and said "theres no way Im going to race you off the lights with my Mini"
He selected sports mode and said he could have given it even more beans!!! lol
Not bad for a 2.2 tonne 19 year old bus and sounds quite nice with the standard suitcase centre box!!! lol

So this was what my lad was doing after Basketball whilst my bum was twitching! lol
The guys absolutely loved the van!!!
He came home and said "theres no way Im going to race you off the lights with my Mini"
He selected sports mode and said he could have given it even more beans!!! lol
Not bad for a 2.2 tonne 19 year old bus and sounds quite nice with the standard suitcase centre box!!! lol

Come on now, who of us hasn’t ragged their parents cars.

I think he could give it more beans, tell him to try harder next time please 🤣

great video give it more beans :cool:no wonder you are rebuilding;) and i hope he put fuel in after :joy:

He needed to use launch control

View attachment 68766View attachment 68767View attachment 68768View attachment 68769

Hmmm... I'm sure the 14mm hex nuts that secure standard struts on an E51 are none standard pitch (fine jap pitch), almost the same flange nuts as those that hold the wiper blades on (and the same thread pitch). Where-as might expect the BMW or aftermarket struts to use standard or different pitch threads. If the thread pitch were wrong it would take a lot of effort to tighten the nuts and would damage the nut and/or strut bolts in the process.

But you might have coilover struts on your E51 anyway?

Normally I'd say it should be OKish to use in normal driving because even without those nuts in place the weight of the car is on the strut so those bolts shouldn't come out of the holes anyway... but severe cornering forces or if the wheels come off the floor it could see the strut bolt come out of the hole.

There isn't much thread sticking through those holes eh? That doesn't look great! Even worse if they've mixed up threads..

Last edited:

I hope everyone has read this. The New Highway Code​

The Highway Code: 8 changes you need to know from 29 January 2022

I hope everyone has read this. The New Highway Code​

The Highway Code: 8 changes you need to know from 29 January 2022

This really is WTF and think a thread of its own is required.

bring on the accidents, well done snowflake society 🤪

im sure some of them were in the old highway code when i passed my test:confused:

Hmmm... I'm sure the 14mm hex nuts that secure standard struts on an E51 are none standard pitch (fine jap pitch), almost the same flange nuts as those that hold the wiper blades on (and the same thread pitch). Where-as might expect the BMW or aftermarket struts to use standard or different pitch threads. If the thread pitch were wrong it would take a lot of effort to tighten the nuts and would damage the nut and/or strut bolts in the process.

But you might have coilover struts on your E51 anyway?

Normally I'd say it should be OKish to use in normal driving because even without those nuts in place the weight of the car is on the strut so those bolts shouldn't come out of the holes anyway... but severe cornering forces or if the wheels come off the floor it could see the strut bolt come out of the hole.

There isn't much thread sticking through those holes eh? That doesn't look great! Even worse if they've mixed up threads..

Thanks for the info @Lpgc. He did use the correct nuts from BMW originally but the one that sheared off half of the stud was left in the nut so this is why he stole my bonnet nut from the Elgrand! lol
The nut from the Elgrand bonnet did seem to screw onto what was left of the stud no problem, he will begetting it fixed hopefully next week! Thanks again bud!

looking at them changes briefly I only see the cyclist being in the middle of the road being a pain on a quiet road but that is nothing new anyway, the rest is just trying to enforce what people should be doing already, unless I'm missing something??

looking at them changes briefly I only see the cyclist being in the middle of the road being a pain on a quiet road but that is nothing new anyway, the rest is just trying to enforce what people should be doing already, unless I'm missing something??
Agree with you.
Basically it's common sense and courtesy to just look out for each other.
Thousands and thousands of army ants can keep moving by helping one another out, but we get one stubborn driver who won't yield on the school run and it's chaos all round!
Cyclists get a rough deal but a lot is down to poor road maintenance and design.

Agree with you.
Basically it's common sense and courtesy to just look out for each other.
Thousands and thousands of army ants can keep moving by helping one another out, but we get one stubborn driver who won't yield on the school run and it's chaos all round!
Cyclists get a rough deal but a lot is down to poor road maintenance and design.
That because the middle aged male Lycra Brigade carry on like they own the road and everyone else is permitted by their good grace. You run a red light or put yourself over the the white lines directly into the flow of traffic at junctions, then you deserve everything you get.
I already give cyclists a wide berth, but the law needs to start enforcing some responsibility and consequences on the spandex-wearing clots too.

Back