• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

WHAT THE FUCK???!!!!

Thanks. I am feeling a lot better. Apparently four blocked veins. Two repaired with stents and two unrepairable as too small?
Glad to see that you feel better. Must have been an extremely worrying and frightening situation! Wishing you all the best.

Happened to mention in passing the unreliability of my Freelander compared with Nissan cars. Wasn't really the right thread to rant on about Freelanders, so thought I would unload my concerns here!
I bought a Freelander in Spain, regardless of the fact that on the Internet it was suggested that they had the poorest build quality of all the available 4X4's (Toyota Rav 4 had the best). I really liked the look of the Freelander so I buried my head in the sand and bought one. The worst problem was that the 1.8 litre engines were rubbish and the cylinder heads tended to blow. The first time I had it repaired under warranty, but the second time it cost me over 3,000 Euros to have the head skimmed and get it back on the road. Basically it was a design fault that happened regardless of how well and how often the car was serviced. This was some years back so I am struggling to remember the other problems but they included, the drive coupling failing, the alarm/immobilizer system packed up, the catalyst part of the exhaust had to be replaced, the clock had to be replaced and both rear light fittings had to be replaced due to corrosion. Finally I was driving around in a car that I couldn't rely on for any significant journey, and carried an iron bar with me to thump the starter motor every time it didn't work. :sob::sob::sob::sob:

Happened to mention in passing the unreliability of my Freelander compared with Nissan cars. Wasn't really the right thread to rant on about Freelanders, so thought I would unload my concerns here!
I bought a Freelander in Spain, regardless of the fact that on the Internet it was suggested that they had the poorest build quality of all the available 4X4's (Toyota Rav 4 had the best). I really liked the look of the Freelander so I buried my head in the sand and bought one. The worst problem was that the 1.8 litre engines were rubbish and the cylinder heads tended to blow. The first time I had it repaired under warranty, but the second time it cost me over 3,000 Euros to have the head skimmed and get it back on the road. Basically it was a design fault that happened regardless of how well and how often the car was serviced. This was some years back so I am struggling to remember the other problems but they included, the drive coupling failing, the alarm/immobilizer system packed up, the catalyst part of the exhaust had to be replaced, the clock had to be replaced and both rear light fittings had to be replaced due to corrosion. Finally I was driving around in a car that I couldn't rely on for any significant journey, and carried an iron bar with me to thump the starter motor every time it didn't work. :sob::sob::sob::sob:

Hi Pete,
My paramedic friend at work had a freelander and just like you , she had copious problems , infact one after another ! It got to a point where the car was making her late for work because of persistent electrical faults etc.
She had the diesel engined variant and unfortunately the fuel pump failed.
She put it into a well know main dealer for a quote on how much the work would be to rectify all the many problems and was quoted a humongous sum of just over Β£2000 pounds !!!!!
Needless to say , she didnt get the work done and put the car up for sale as spares or repairs on eBay !!!
Funnily enough, She treated herself to a Nissan quashqui and has never looked back .
So , you are exactly right with your theory Sir .
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Cheers, Nathan

How is it so bloody hot and yet I have a cold! Really looking forward to the drive to Norfolk tomorrow, every tractor / combine harvestor - yeah that will be me stuck behind you sneezing :mad:

Freelander ... new turbo Β£1,300... four new injectors Β£300 a piece , rear axle diff Β£100 ,, I could go on ....bought forΒ£4,500 sold for Β£2,000 within two years

Freelander ... new turbo Β£1,300... four new injectors Β£300 a piece , rear axle diff Β£100 ,, I could go on ....bought forΒ£4,500 sold for Β£2,000 within two years
It is amazing they sold so many. The k series fair enough, it wasn't the only car with that engine / problem (though head gasket failures aside it is a great engine) but how did they create a car with so many other problems?!

How is it so bloody hot and yet I have a cold! Really looking forward to the drive to Norfolk tomorrow, every tractor / combine harvestor - yeah that will be me stuck behind you sneezing :mad:

Get better soon blingo .

Don't worry about being behind a slow moving tractor sir !
You have the perfect vehicle to get in front with a sheer blip of the throttle to a clean path ahead !! πŸšœπŸšœπŸ˜·πŸ‘πŸ‘

Because you've had a gale blowing through the windows with the air con not working :joy: Unfortunately I know the feeling :(

Get better soon blingo .

Don't worry about being behind a slow moving tractor sir !
You have the perfect vehicle to get in front with a sheer blip of the throttle to a clean path ahead !! πŸšœπŸšœπŸ˜·πŸ‘πŸ‘

Don't take the p**s Nathan - you know @blingo has only got a 2.5l ;)

Enjoy your trip @blingo :)

Because you've had a gale blowing through the windows with the air con not working :joy: Unfortunately I know the feeling :(

Don't take the p**s Nathan - you know @blingo has only got a 2.5l ;)

Enjoy your trip @blingo :)

:mad: 2.5! I'm not going on my lawnmower!

Besides, those tractors are really quick these days, that's my excuse. And the combines are like fucking transformers crossed with a sherman tank - don't mess with them.

Oh and thanks for reminding me how hot it's going to be - must pack some ear plugs.

:mad: 2.5! I'm not going on my lawnmower!

Besides, those tractors are really quick these days, that's my excuse. And the combines are like fucking transformers crossed with a sherman tank - don't mess with them.

Oh and thanks for reminding me how hot it's going to be - must pack some ear plugs.

don't forget the hair net either. I haven't needed one for about 20 years but when both front windows are down I can feel the hairs growing out of my ears flapping about ;)

Gotta love the Japanese to English translations:

"The risk of announcing warnings is high The possibility of impossibility of imminent running imminent is low, but the nearest facility is searched by decision, key"

I think this means it is broke but not too broke. Though engine completely cutting out at high speed twice suggests the possibility of impossibility is perhaps more imminent than low after all...

Arse. Made it home at least.

Gotta love the Japanese to English translations:

"The risk of announcing warnings is high The possibility of impossibility of imminent running imminent is low, but the nearest facility is searched by decision, key"

I think this means it is broke but not too broke. Though engine completely cutting out at high speed twice suggests the possibility of impossibility is perhaps more imminent than low after all...

Arse. Made it home at least.

I hope you get your van sorted out soon blingo.

Glad you made it back ok too .
πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Thanks, I hope so too!
Supposed to be going on the annual holiday in it in 2 weeks :(

Don't worry blingo
I'm sure you will get it sorted out well before you go away matey .

I wouldn't have a clue as to what it could be unfortunately Sir. I bet it's something simple though .

Could it be loose battery connections? On that subject , whenever I get gremlins with my E50 , i disconnect the battery , go and have a cup of tea , reconnect and gremlins have gone !!! Works every time ???

Why don't you post up the symptoms and I'm sure one of the many knowledgeable members will get back to you asap .

All the best mate. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Don't worry blingo
I'm sure you will get it sorted out well before you go away matey .

I wouldn't have a clue as to what it could be unfortunately Sir. I bet it's something simple though .

Could it be loose battery connections? On that subject , whenever I get gremlins with my E50 , i disconnect the battery , go and have a cup of tea , reconnect and gremlins have gone !!! Works every time ???

Why don't you post up the symptoms and I'm sure one of the many knowledgeable members will get back to you asap .

All the best mate. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Thanks again!

Symptoms? Engine just completely cut out twice whilst driving, first time was coasting and didn't notice until I tried turning :D

Struggled to start when I got back home but when running it's fine - just like normal.

No idea what it is either, if it had a carb and distributer I might have had a chance :)

It will be going to BMR but he's a very busy boy!

Thanks again!

Symptoms? Engine just completely cut out twice whilst driving, first time was coasting and didn't notice until I tried turning :D

Struggled to start when I got back home but when running it's fine - just like normal.

No idea what it is either, if it had a carb and distributer I might have had a chance :)

It will be going to BMR but he's a very busy boy!

Could it be a sensor problem similar to @Richard Fox I wonder? What part of the Midlands are you in @blingo - I've got an icarsoft reader if you're not too far away

Could it be a sensor problem similar to @Richard Fox I wonder? What part of the Midlands are you in @blingo - I've got an icarsoft reader if you're not too far away
First thought was camshaft sensor - had the same happen on other cars but only a four cylinder with the one sensor. Would it completely kill the power if one of them was failing on a twin cam?

Thanks for the offer of the code reader - I'm near Nottingham so probably a bit far away. Will try and get my own if I can't get it over to Brian before the weekend.

Back