• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What have you done to your Elgrand today?

I had a DVD unit in the boot I think the IR sensor could have been used to control the unit
Where did you put the DVD's in?
I have 3 extra remotes, aside from the 2 that come with the car, and 2 of them have the same name as the Japanese TV Tuner under the passenger seat written on them. The third one doesn't do anything to the blank screen.

Removed cowl and then proceeded to "explode" the engine bay.
Removed inlet manifold in preparation for loctiting the swirl flap screws when my loctite arrrives.
Was about to change the spark plugs when I realised that my 10mm plug socket is 1/2" drive and I didn't have a 1/2" ratchet. Procured ratchet and swapped plugs.
Spent far too long trying to work out how the PCV valve is fitted, took a photo to ask for advice and realised I was looking straight at it.😂

Where did you put the DVD's in?
I have 3 extra remotes, aside from the 2 that come with the car, and 2 of them have the same name as the Japanese TV Tuner under the passenger seat written on them. The third one doesn't do anything to the blank screen.
If you have a black screen with the clock in the top right hand corner (that matches the time on the roof display) the screen is "off". Press the TV button, then press the bottom left button (which brings up image adjustments, brightness, contrast etc.) and select the top option to make the screen stay on.

If you are presented with a grey screen with a Japanese message across the middle put the parking brake on. You then need to cycle through the inputs until you are on VTR.

However if it's a Japanese DTV receiver it won't do anything useful in the UK.

If you have a black screen with the clock in the top right hand corner (that matches the time on the roof display) the screen is "off". Press the TV button, then press the bottom left button (which brings up image adjustments, brightness, contrast etc.) and select the top option to make the screen stay on.

If you are presented with a grey screen with a Japanese message across the middle put the parking brake on. You then need to cycle through the inputs until you are on VTR.

However if it's a Japanese DTV receiver it won't do anything useful in the UK.
The car has a parking break bypass, I am able to get the TV screens to show the ant march with park break off. Although it seems like a poor bypass because at first it gives the "Enjoy while sitting still" Japanese message, then after cycling through TV/TV2/AUX then TV again the TV functions on the front HUD.

I'll try your suggestion today and see if I can find the VTR input. Is this seperate from the AUX input?

After reading about low oil pressure and failed oil gallery gasket on VQ35ies I decided to remove the oil pressure switch and fit my pressure gauge. Fortunately all good with the pressure but amazed there is no low oil pressure light on the dash. Not even EML or fault code with no oil sender connected? A bit concerning.

First newbie maintenance task. Took the drivers door apart to try and fix the power window. It was twisting at the top of its movement and leaving a gap that whistled very loudly! Of the 4 bolts holding the drive motor in place, 2 had fallen out and 2 were loose and twisted. Managed to re-assemble it with everything its proper place and it closes at least but its still not running smoothly.

Removed the rear seats, was easy enough, but I did have to get some 'grizz' out of the tool bag. The main heavy lifting was mental, do I want to remove the carpet, add ply and lino or leave it? Is the Juice worth the squeeze?

Last edited:
The car has a parking break bypass, I am able to get the TV screens to show the ant march with park break off. Although it seems like a poor bypass because at first it gives the "Enjoy while sitting still" Japanese message, then after cycling through TV/TV2/AUX then TV again the TV functions on the front HUD.

I'll try your suggestion today and see if I can find the VTR input. Is this seperate from the AUX input?
What year is your Elgrand? My S2 has TV( Auto), TV (Manual), VTR. And the warning message is something like "VTR not reflected" (Google translate has a hard time trying to translate it)

What year is your Elgrand? My S2 has TV( Auto), TV (Manual), VTR. And the warning message is something like "VTR not reflected" (Google translate has a hard time trying to translate it)
2008, mine goes TV, TV2 and AUX. I wonder if TV2 is manual on mine too.

Yours is probably a S3, so the labels may well be different as the Nav/TV system was shared with some non JDM models.

Made a centre consul box. Fits tight in between front seats... Not good colour match but was the only covering I had at the time.... But good with the extra space. To keep stuff out of sight.

Attachments

• IMG_20210402_171337.jpg
    IMG_20210402_171337.jpg
    588.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20210402_171417.jpg
    IMG_20210402_171417.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20210403_172645.jpg
    IMG_20210403_172645.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 47
Removed the rear seats, was easy enough, but I did have to get some 'grizz' out of the tool bag. The main heavy lifting was mental, do I want to remove the carpet, add ply and lino or leave it? Is the Juice worth the squeeze?
I removed the center row seats and runners, its about half a ton lighter now. Joking aside I used the original carpet as a template and cut out 3mm rubber flooring and filled the gaps left by the runners. Much more practical and easy to keep clean.

Finally got the bus back from the trimmers! Well pleased.

Attachments

• 6553F30E-5D72-47BA-8DFE-664258C89AF7.jpeg
    6553F30E-5D72-47BA-8DFE-664258C89AF7.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 60
  • D7FEF1B6-174B-40E6-9625-B4985184B73B.jpeg
    D7FEF1B6-174B-40E6-9625-B4985184B73B.jpeg
    433.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Made a centre consul box. Fits tight in between front seats... Not good colour match but was the only covering I had at the time.... But good with the extra space. To keep stuff out of sight.
Looks fab love a self build I did a similar job on mine

I removed the center row seats and runners, its about half a ton lighter now. Joking aside I used the original carpet as a template and cut out 3mm rubber flooring and filled the gaps left by the runners. Much more practical and easy to keep clean.
Hi Lacabrera, a straight swap from carpet to rubber? Can you confirm that the carpet has no semi-rigidness about it? I'm worried about a spungy floor. And do you have a link for the rubber? Last time I googled 'rubber' I blushed...

Threadlocked swirl flap screws, reassembled everything and then lost a 1/4" bit adapter which I dropped down the front of the radiator.

It didn't make it to the ground and wasn't on the front undertray when I removed it. At a bit of a lost where it's gone.

Back