• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Remember when......

we were minors of the ABC:

We are the boys and girls well known as
Minors of the ABC
And every Saturday all line up
To see the films we like, and shout aloud with glee
We like to laugh and have a singsong
Such a happy crowd are we.
We're all pals together.
We're minors of the A-B-C.
I seem to remember you had a badge for your birthday and the trio was ABC ??

When smoking menthol was accepted as a breath of fresh air, it must be healthy....right, the advert says so ???? WHAT WERE WE THINKING ????
Mind boggling now !!
Plus ca change. We are still being suckered into what's good for us and what's not if it makes rich men richer.

Being a reformed smoker of some fifty years I still remember as a kid going to secondary school and calling into the local newsagents shop in Camberwell and purchasing threepenny single (3d) Park Drive cigarettes (coffin nails) and try to sneak a peek at the Parade pin up mazine on the top shelf. The shop keeper would be imprisoned in this day and age if he did that now.

Disclaimer: Please do not smoke!!! and protect your eyesight.

View attachment 97818 View attachment 97819
In school, we used to hide Embassy Gold Leaf(?) and Players No6 in Smarties tubes, they were shorter ciggies and you could pop a couple of smarties on top, room also for a few Bryant & Mays for sparking up. 👍

Pic's of "Ket" reminded me of...

1960s Dentist's
Still remember the smell of that black rubber gas mask & struggling as it was held over my face...

& Was it worth a "tanner" under your pillow? 🤐
Still can't stand the smell of rubber to this day, damn dentist! Get reminded every time I talc up the gimp mask o_O

Ok folks, I have found out what is was and how it worked, below is the info:

Loop De Loop Ride:
The ride was something quirky. The drum rotated and the cars were fixed to the track, similar to a roller coaster. The cars had a brake pedal which clamped the car to the track causing it to climb the drum. Once it had climbed you released the brake to allow it to fall back down and up the other side. Eventually you built enough momentum up to go 360 around the full drum.

Unfortunately someone failed to fasten their seatbelt and was killed in the fall which resulted in the ride being removed. Modern technology would probably solve that problem now with interlocked safety bars and the like.

There was records of a second, double drum flying cars ride being built for Conklin’s Carnivals, but scant records exist of that model or any other rides.

The ride was built by a German manufacturer.

Here is the YouTube link to it in action in Chicago

1707857042045.png

we were minors of the ABC:

We are the boys and girls well known as
Minors of the ABC
And every Saturday all line up
To see the films we like, and shout aloud with glee
We like to laugh and have a singsong
Such a happy crowd are we.
We're all pals together.
We're minors of the A-B-C.
I wasn't allowed to the ABC, dad was an Odeon manager o_O

Our milk would arrive in paper triangular packs, with a blunt straw that was thinner than a WD40 straw...the only thing they were good for was stamping on the empty pack - BOOOM -- sounded great in an empty corridor.

The Climate Change card wasn't played whenever someone/organisation wants to change something, reduce services, or don't want to do something.

The Climate Change card wasn't played whenever someone/organisation wants to change something, reduce services, or don't want to do something.
Heh, had a carvery on Sunday, 8 year old son got a kids carvery and I wasn't suprised by the small oval shaped plate. I got an adult carvery and it was on the same very small sized oval plate! I said to the chef "Plates seem to have got smaller than when I last came here a couple of weeks ago". He said "Yes but you can still get the same amount on the plate". I laughed "They must be magic small plates then, they're oval and narrower along the full length compared to the old round plates, only as wide as the round plates were at their widest point" :rolleyes:. Then at checkout they stick a 15% 'optional service charge' on top of the price of the already higher than average local cost for a carvery (service charge when it's a carvery and you serve yourself, except for the 'table service' where they bring your drinks over to the table). The girl on the till said "Are you happy to pay the service charge sir?". I replied (so the manager who was nearby would hear it) "Yes I'm happy to pay the service charge but I will say I'm not too pleased about the new smaller plate sizes, it was only a couple of weeks ago when we last came but the plates have got much smaller since then". The manager came over and explained how they'd had people leaving loads of food on their plate, so they'd reduced plate size to be greener and kinder on the environment! I told him "Don't be daft, if you were completely green you'd be doing set meals rather than running a carvery, in fact you'd only be selling vegan food. If you don't want people stacking their plates high and a minority of people wasting some of that food don't run a carvery make it a set meal setup".

Last edited:
When sad, born evil, sick scamming t**ts didn't spend all day trying their best to scam folk out of their life savings.

Back