• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Remember when......

Ok folks, I have found out what is was and how it worked, below is the info:

Loop De Loop Ride:
The ride was something quirky. The drum rotated and the cars were fixed to the track, similar to a roller coaster. The cars had a brake pedal which clamped the car to the track causing it to climb the drum. Once it had climbed you released the brake to allow it to fall back down and up the other side. Eventually you built enough momentum up to go 360 around the full drum.

Unfortunately someone failed to fasten their seatbelt and was killed in the fall which resulted in the ride being removed. Modern technology would probably solve that problem now with interlocked safety bars and the like.

There was records of a second, double drum flying cars ride being built for Conklin’s Carnivals, but scant records exist of that model or any other rides.

The ride was built by a German manufacturer.

Here is the YouTube link to it in action in Chicago

A few weeks ago I watched a documentary about a (now closed) theme park where the above ride might have seemed one of the tamer rides.
The link isn't the documentary I watched but I think it's about the same theme park https://www.classactionpark.com/

Pic's of "Ket" reminded me of...

1960s Dentist's
Still remember the smell of that black rubber gas mask & struggling as it was held over my face...

& Was it worth a "tanner" under your pillow? 🤐

For children, sweet cigarettes and packets of “tobacco” made out of coconut and you got a pirate transfer “tattoo” in the pack.
It's great to get all these reminders of what sweets, and toys we used to buy when we were kids.

Being a reformed smoker of some fifty years I still remember as a kid going to secondary school and calling into the local newsagents shop in Camberwell and purchasing threepenny single (3d) Park Drive cigarettes (coffin nails) and try to sneak a peek at the Parade pin up mazine on the top shelf. The shop keeper would be imprisoned in this day and age if he did that now.

Disclaimer: Please do not smoke!!! and protect your eyesight.

il_1588xN.3807818167_dcl6.jpg images.jpg

Being a reformed smoker of some fifty years I still remember as a kid going to secondary school and calling into the local newsagents shop in Camberwell and purchasing threepenny single (3d) Park Drive cigarettes (coffin nails) and try to sneak a peek at the Parade pin up mazine on the top shelf. The shop keeper would be imprisoned in this day and age if he did that now.

Disclaimer: Please do not smoke!!! and protect your eyesight.

View attachment 97818 View attachment 97819
It was the same in West London getting the 3d loose, as we called it, and smoking it on the way to school. Although once the bus conductor told us that if we are smoking we couldn't pay half fair :confused: basically saying put them out, which we did. I'm glad to say I gave up around fifty years ago too. Happy days. :)

My "loosie" was 5p with a match at the local Kiosk en-route to school.
The cigarettes were menthol to lure the kids in to buying them.( Consulate Brand )

Back