• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Overcoming Social Anxiety and getting to a meet

I've put a post up previously regarding social anxiety, and I've had more than a few messages saying thank you for sharing it, so I thought I would put something here along with some guidelines for people to help get you through it and become more involved with the club (and life).

For those who don't know what social anxiety is, you may not have heard of it, or it may be that you just don't understand it. It's that feeling of knowing you want to get to a meet, maybe saying you're interested, then either not committing, or pulling out close to the date if you have committed. You'll make up an excuse that no one can argue... for example "sorry, car broke down this morning"... or "there's been a family emergency, sorry"... or you may just not turn up and not say anything at all.

If you have been reading through this forum, chatting with fellow members, feeling like you've made a connection, and then been sat looking at the write ups and pictures from meets we've attended feeling like you've missed out... well the only person stopping you, is YOU.

I have been dealing with social anxiety now for years. I have worked in the same place for the last 8 years, and I still get anxiety when it comes to social events with the people I've worked with for so long. Why? I don't know. I hate it. It's crippling. I find myself running out of excuses not to attend social events, because, I just panic. Now in all honesty, I don't think that will ever go away with the people I work with, because I have NOTHING in common with most of them. The odd one or two I get along with on a social level, but not enough to make me want to overcome my anxiety.

Things within ElgrandOC have been very different. For me, going to a meet with you guys means I know that before I even get there, we have a common interest. It gives us a talking point and a way to break the ice.

The members here have been some of the best people I have ever met, and some of my closest friends I have met through this club. There have been very very few people that I've met and not really got on with... Most of the people I have met I now talk to on a regular basis.

Now... as ElgrandOC has grown, so has our attendance at meets. Even small local meets are now attended by 10+ Elgrand's and however many people. That can be a BIG step for ANYONE, whether they have an issue with social anxiety or not. Especially if you are going to that meet as a new member knowing that everyone else has already met. I got frustrated last year that there weren't more people going to meets, and it took me a little time to realise that it's probably not just me that suffers with social anxiety... and that in all honesty, there are probably a LOT of members here who are desperate to get out and attend events with us, but can't get over that hurdle... then when you see the list of attendees getting bigger and bigger... the problem spirals, and you know you could never do it.

So, what I would like to see this year, and thanks to @Easy Rider for the suggestion, is Impromtu meets with small groups of 2-3 people.

We have the regional chat sections now so you can get to know members local to you. And then you can either arrange an impromptu meet to invite anyone else in the area to come, or arrange something between 2-3 people via PM. It does not have to be an open invitation for everyone to attend... just small numbers to get you feeling comfortable with a small group of new people, even if it's just one on one.

What you can do then is ease yourself into other events, if you want to. Maybe meet up a few times with same small group of people, and have a coffee, a cake, a chat etc. Once you feel comfortable with meeting the same small group of people, you can arrange to go to a bigger meet with at least one of them. Then, you know that at least when you get to one of the larger meets, you are going to have someone you know you can talk to.

That said... for anyone out there who just wants to throw caution to the wind and dive in at the deep end... please do. There are so many fantastic people here in this group that you won't go far wrong. Everyone is welcoming, no one is cliquey (not that I've met), and we are all in it for the same reason. To have a laugh, chat about our cars, show them off, make friends, and make memories.

If anyone wants to chat about social anxiety issues, feel free to PM me, or any of the club staff members. We're all approachable, and we will all give you the time you need to help you along your Elgrand journey.

And for those of you who just don't want to be part of the meets and events, that's cool too. There is no pressure for any one person to attend any meets or events. But I really would advise it... the things you learn, the people you meet... it's worth it. I wouldn't say that if I didn't mean it.

Hope this helps a little.
Thankyou so much karl for sharing this.

I tend to suffer from Anxiety in general, not just socially, and Putins exploits are not helping. I do find that the Elgrand meet ups are helpful in being able to escape all that, for a short time at least. So if anyone reading this feels brave enough to get to a meet, there is the West Midlands meet this Saturday afternoon at 2pm, details in the "Regional Meets" section:

https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/2nd-west-midlands-monthly-meet-12th-march.31355/

I've put a post up previously regarding social anxiety, and I've had more than a few messages saying thank you for sharing it, so I thought I would put something here along with some guidelines for people to help get you through it and become more involved with the club (and life).

For those who don't know what social anxiety is, you may not have heard of it, or it may be that you just don't understand it. It's that feeling of knowing you want to get to a meet, maybe saying you're interested, then either not committing, or pulling out close to the date if you have committed. You'll make up an excuse that no one can argue... for example "sorry, car broke down this morning"... or "there's been a family emergency, sorry"... or you may just not turn up and not say anything at all.

If you have been reading through this forum, chatting with fellow members, feeling like you've made a connection, and then been sat looking at the write ups and pictures from meets we've attended feeling like you've missed out... well the only person stopping you, is YOU.

I have been dealing with social anxiety now for years. I have worked in the same place for the last 8 years, and I still get anxiety when it comes to social events with the people I've worked with for so long. Why? I don't know. I hate it. It's crippling. I find myself running out of excuses not to attend social events, because, I just panic. Now in all honesty, I don't think that will ever go away with the people I work with, because I have NOTHING in common with most of them. The odd one or two I get along with on a social level, but not enough to make me want to overcome my anxiety.

Things within ElgrandOC have been very different. For me, going to a meet with you guys means I know that before I even get there, we have a common interest. It gives us a talking point and a way to break the ice.

The members here have been some of the best people I have ever met, and some of my closest friends I have met through this club. There have been very very few people that I've met and not really got on with... Most of the people I have met I now talk to on a regular basis.

Now... as ElgrandOC has grown, so has our attendance at meets. Even small local meets are now attended by 10+ Elgrand's and however many people. That can be a BIG step for ANYONE, whether they have an issue with social anxiety or not. Especially if you are going to that meet as a new member knowing that everyone else has already met. I got frustrated last year that there weren't more people going to meets, and it took me a little time to realise that it's probably not just me that suffers with social anxiety... and that in all honesty, there are probably a LOT of members here who are desperate to get out and attend events with us, but can't get over that hurdle... then when you see the list of attendees getting bigger and bigger... the problem spirals, and you know you could never do it.

So, what I would like to see this year, and thanks to @Easy Rider for the suggestion, is Impromtu meets with small groups of 2-3 people.

We have the regional chat sections now so you can get to know members local to you. And then you can either arrange an impromptu meet to invite anyone else in the area to come, or arrange something between 2-3 people via PM. It does not have to be an open invitation for everyone to attend... just small numbers to get you feeling comfortable with a small group of new people, even if it's just one on one.

What you can do then is ease yourself into other events, if you want to. Maybe meet up a few times with same small group of people, and have a coffee, a cake, a chat etc. Once you feel comfortable with meeting the same small group of people, you can arrange to go to a bigger meet with at least one of them. Then, you know that at least when you get to one of the larger meets, you are going to have someone you know you can talk to.

That said... for anyone out there who just wants to throw caution to the wind and dive in at the deep end... please do. There are so many fantastic people here in this group that you won't go far wrong. Everyone is welcoming, no one is cliquey (not that I've met), and we are all in it for the same reason. To have a laugh, chat about our cars, show them off, make friends, and make memories.

If anyone wants to chat about social anxiety issues, feel free to PM me, or any of the club staff members. We're all approachable, and we will all give you the time you need to help you along your Elgrand journey.

And for those of you who just don't want to be part of the meets and events, that's cool too. There is no pressure for any one person to attend any meets or events. But I really would advise it... the things you learn, the people you meet... it's worth it. I wouldn't say that if I didn't mean it.

Great write up.

I too still suffer from anxiety, I have done pretty much all my life. Whether it's making phone calls, answering the door, or even walking the few steps to the Elgrand from the house. It's destroyed my life in many ways and is the reason I've pushed so many people away from me.

Reading posts like this reassures you that you're not alone.

Karl that is so me… I really have to over come this anxiety… it is miserable, I find myself pushing people away too. Lots of things in my life have put me here. Now I have to get out of it. Is there any meet ups in the south west..

Wow, it takes a massive amount of guts to talk about this stuff, so hats off to you all. I have suffered social anxiety in the past and my daughter has it too......it does help to talk about it as it is surprising how many others suffer in silence with this so let's keep up the sharing✅

I have never had social anxiety until this pandemic but went to a small meeting last week and had to leave. Hoping a trip to Cumbria on Sunday will help. First long drive since last year and my first long solo drive in Elgrand I am both nervous and excited at the same time.
You going this year @Dave Marshall ?

wendy yes there is a meet in the new forest on the 26th june but if you know of somewhere close to you maybe you could put a place and date usually a sun morning up in the local meets section

Omg. I would never of thought there was anyone else like me. !! I’ve suffered like this nearly all my life. I want to do things and meet up. But then, I read the next page, and think! Em no I can’t do that, and come up with loads of excuses. That’s why I bought my Elgrand I can solo. But it can be boring on your own. Thank you for sharing this with us.
My biggest problem is introducing myself and smalltalk. Ironically I have to do that in my job but I think that is because I have a reason to speak to my customers on a subject I know something about. Been the same all my life, thinking back used to let my younger brother find my friends for me....

Totally on board with this. I get social anxiety, phone anxiety, I find excuses to not go to places s for occasions, even family ones. I would love to go to an OC meet near me, though, and even the Mrs is suggesting it, as she is very interested to see what other people have done with their Ellie's. Already on the forum I've spoken to a local owner, and everybody seems really friendly.

Plus, as you say, we all have a conversation starter!

It was really good to read your thread and see that it isn't just me!

colin i think im right the i,o,w members meet quite a few times over the year you already know one member

Id be interested to know how many people who suffer from this also suffer from any form of ocd.
Im sure theres a link
A condition that's rarely talked about . Im sure due to embarrassment

Id be interested to know how many people who suffer from this also suffer from any form of ocd.
Im sure theres a link
A condition that's rarely talked about . Im sure due to embarrassment
I'm a sufferer of anxiety social and in general also have the ocd thing going on:joy:

I don't think I have any social anxiety, although I'm sure my wife does and so I feel that I can empathize to a degree.
Personally though I've come to realise that I do suffer with perfectionism (although I know I'm far from perfect in many many ways) and I can be / have ocd in some areas. I think it's about having control over certain areas in life when I'm totally lacking control in other areas.
Heck, we're complicated creatures, yet so very simple...🤔

This is something I sadly developed over covid. Because I have arthritis I was deemed extremely vulnerable and shielded for best treatment set of a year.

I used to be a pretty socially active person often doing photography trips. Hell. Even going out on my own. But since then, I’ve no motivation :(

This is something I sadly developed over covid. Because I have arthritis I was deemed extremely vulnerable and shielded for best treatment set of a year.

I used to be a pretty socially active person often doing photography trips. Hell. Even going out on my own. But since then, I’ve no motivation :(
My wife got the letter immediately after lockdown, that she was on the clinically extremely vulnerable list. (No spleen and itp). Advised not to eat with the family, avoid contact with our children, sleep separately etc etc etc. We've just been talking it all through again at 4am how utterly broken she is from it all. Feeling like she's been gaslighted and programmed into a fear and anxiety driven shadow of her former self.
She has major (and I mean major) social anxiety and it's going to take time...😞

I suffer from anxiety, and have some OCD tendencies, however I do seem not to suffer social anxiety - not much problem getting to meets and seeing people, it is the rest of my life I struggle with!

Back