• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Overcoming Social Anxiety and getting to a meet

I don't have any issue meeting one to one with people, and love it once I know them, but I do have the fear of going to a meet 🙄

I always think, all the cars I see going are mint and tope quality mods etc. Mines got loads of dings and scrapes where I rag it around everywhere, down country lanes and the likes, and it won't fit in.

I've told myself I will turn upto on some point in 2020 though 🤔🙂
Mate seriously dont think that we all drive round in perfect mint condition elgrands!! Yes we have some stunning ones that go to meets and shows, but we also have the other side of that such as mine that might look good in photos but up close its definitely showing signs of its age with dints, bumps, knocks and scratches etc. No ones judgey about condition of them although we do all try and have it clean when we turn up. All the meets I've been to, and it's a lot! We're all about the getting together and having a good time and a laugh.
If you're interested in coming along to a show or meet, I would definitely recommend doing it, no matter what fears you have about going! You won't be disappointed and you'll receive a very warm welcome from the regulars who attend them 👍🏻

Oh and just to add to that. The first meet I ever went to, I was really scared! I'd only been in the club a couple of months, didn't know anyone, and had a completely smashed up rear bumper that looked horrendous. I went with the idea that I'll go along and if I don't feel comfortable i can make my excuses and leave early. And you know what, I was one of the last to leave!! I left having met some great prople who i stay in touch with plus others a see regularly. And also left knowing a lot more about my Elgrand and some great tips on how to repair the damage I had at the time 😁

I don't have any issue meeting one to one with people, and love it once I know them, but I do have the fear of going to a meet 🙄

I always think, all the cars I see going are mint and tope quality mods etc. Mines got loads of dings and scrapes where I rag it around everywhere, down country lanes and the likes, and it won't fit in.

I've told myself I will turn upto on some point in 2020 though 🤔🙂
All Elgrands are special.

Imagine the reverse situation - If someone starts a thread called 'Overcoming murderous paranoid schizophrenia and coming to a meet' they might be the only Elgrand at that meet lol.

Someone's 10 post spamming.

Incredible thread and ahead of its time really. Everyone can learn something by reading this and has opened my eyes to the quality of this club.

Wow what an absolutely brilliant post and responses.
I am new to EOC and as some will find, I am not phased by meeting new people BUT I do have first hand experience of seeing family members suffer such anxiety and what a wake up call it was when I realised that they were suffering in silence. Great post getting this topic out there with excellent guidance.
This reinforces my decision to buy Elgrand and more so join EOC. Well done Karl and OC members.

Just a thought, how about introducing 'Newbie hosts' identified by a t shirt or cap, a go to person who can be 1st contact and do some introductions. Or then again this EOC seems to be full of willing hosts, so they would all be great 1st contacts at meets.

We are all so lovely that a newby will feel immediately welcomed.

Just to add to this very informative and confidence building thread, particularly for us noobs who don't even own an EG yet, I have had nothing but positive responses to my posts, great advice, a very warm welcome and already an invite to the SE meet this weekend. Meeting new people under the current climate may carry some real concerns for some and that has to be respected. Personally I'll meet anyone on their terms and be very glad I did 👍👍

As long as everyone adheres to the measures required by the cafe there should be no problem. One thing to note is that it's very easy to forget about social distancing when enthusing about your vehicle so try not to be too touchy feely (with the cars), use hand sanitiser and use a mask if in close proximity to one another.

I have apart from a socially isolated holiday been stuck in for months odd bit of shopping apart. The one thing I am looking forward to is a Yorkshire meet. Would have loved to meet at Aquadrome but due to local restrictions could not go. The thing that annoys me most is media talk of Lock down and curfew which we have never really had, and maybe if we had would have solved the issue.
Great thread think people are all suffering some social anxiety at moment. But if you had it pre Covid my heart goes out for you.

Last edited:
I have apart from a socially isolated holiday been stuck in for months odd bit of shopping apart. The one thing I am looking forward to is a Yorkshire meet. Would have loved to meet at Aquadrome but due to local restrictions could not go. The thing that annoys me most is media talk of Lock down and curfew which we have never really had, and maybe if we had would have solved the issue.
Great thread think people are all suffering some social anxiety at moment. But if you had it pre Covid my heart goes out for you.
I struggle socially in group situations. In fact, lockdown hardly affected me as it was just more of my normal life. The one ray of sunshine has been Elvira. Since acquiring her I’ve met several members whilst getting and giving spare parts and I’ve been to my first meet. Grand bunch of folk and so friendly - and great bacon butty makers too!
It’s hard to make that first effort sometimes, but it’s definitely worthwhile.

Back