• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Overcoming Social Anxiety and getting to a meet

Knowing youve a problem is a step in the right direction i think.
This may sound a bit off.
Buy after losing my parents to cancer and now my brothers going through it.And watching my wife help raise money for treasure boxes for children with brain and spinal tumors, and one in particular who shes close to and isnt looking good.
Has changed me a little bit. I try not to let people wind me up. And we're booking a holiday to cuba . And i hate flying.
Good luck with everything . Try not to let things ruin what short time we have

Must say I was dreading arriving at margam park for my first ever meet alone, but it was lovely to meet everyone and very happy I went. Even got a beep off the lady with nice black E51 with the silver stripes this morning (sorry told you I was shit with names 😁)

Must say I was dreading arriving at margam park for my first ever meet alone, but it was lovely to meet everyone and very happy I went. Even got a beep off the lady with nice black E51 with the silver stripes this morning (sorry told you I was shit with names 😁)
I also went to my first ever meet in margam, I was a bit apprehensive as I know next to nothing about these magnificent machines(apart from how to fuel them obviously). I found everyone really welcoming and friendly, and really enjoyed it.I would urge anyone a bit nervous to definitely give it a go, you won't regret it.😀

What a great thread. The fact that social anxiety is being discussed is pretty amazing. Bravo, @Karl.

I have a bipolar disorder diagnosis and social anxiety plays a great part in the make-up of the illness. I can’t see myself getting to a meet at this moment in time but it’s awesome to hear of people overcoming their anxieties and in turn, their mental health improving. Elgrand owners are a good bunch, fair play.

What a great thread. The fact that social anxiety is being discussed is pretty amazing. Bravo, @Karl.

I have a bipolar disorder diagnosis and social anxiety plays a great part in the make-up of the illness. I can’t see myself getting to a meet at this moment in time but it’s awesome to hear of people overcoming their anxieties and in turn, their mental health improving. Elgrand owners are a good bunch, fair play.
Hey bud, you'd be welcome at a meet anytime, you couldn't wish for a friendler group of People, and if you did start feeling a bit anxious just get behind the wheel and leave, no-one would be put out by that.👍

Good to hear from you, stay strong.

Throw caution to the wind and just jump in! Me and the missus had a great time at Santa Pod this weekend even with the rain! Never felt so welcome! There is no such word as lonely....

Good every one is talking about this I applaud you all.We all have a mixed bag of life but our Elgrands break barriers and are catalysts to move forwards in more than just a foot on the throttle.I hear you :)
Fellow anxiety sufferer .
J

Thanks for sharing the link and all the best for the future 👍

Thanks. I really feel for everyone here. I was house bound for a while as it got that bad. So i understand.

So, just to say, I took the Elgrand to the son's Rugby tournie today and stood on the side line with two other dads and cheered them on.
To be able to do just that, is worth everything...

Hi All and thanks Karl, well after reading these comments I feel a lot more at ease. I have always found it difficult meeting new folk and there's been many a time I have backed out of going somewhere. I was always the one in the background not really saying anything unless I was spoken too which probably came across as being a bit anti social but recently I took the plunge and decided to tag along to the Sunday meet at YakushI. I managed to speak to a few folk but I apologize for not speaking to more. Hopefully things are going to get better. Now looking forward to the meet in November at j28 M1, I can only make the Sunday but it looks like there's going to be a few there so I'm going to apologize in advance in case i sit in the wings but I will try my best to mingle and hopefully make new friends.

Another way is if you plan to do a job on your motor place a post asking for help to do it it will in all probability be a couple of others who have done the job before that will give you an hand and be an ice breaker with the added bonus there is less chance of you dropping a clanger doing it.

Good idea! Maybe local weekend meets to tinker?

Fix it meets are common amongst local clubs. I know a few in the North East that do it. Harder to do in a club like this which is not localised, but no harm in asking :)

I don't have any issue meeting one to one with people, and love it once I know them, but I do have the fear of going to a meet 🙄

I always think, all the cars I see going are mint and tope quality mods etc. Mines got loads of dings and scrapes where I rag it around everywhere, down country lanes and the likes, and it won't fit in.

I've told myself I will turn upto on some point in 2020 though 🤔🙂

I don't have any issue meeting one to one with people, and love it once I know them, but I do have the fear of going to a meet 🙄

I always think, all the cars I see going are mint and tope quality mods etc. Mines got loads of dings and scrapes where I rag it around everywhere, down country lanes and the likes, and it won't fit in.

I've told myself I will turn upto on some point in 2020 though 🤔🙂
Haaa my beauty is always dirty I'm disabled and can't do all the detailing and work I wish I could so I've got some anxiety too but I still love my Brumby and the great bunch of people in this club.
Best wishes to you :cool:

Fix it meets are common amongst local clubs. I know a few in the North East that do it. Harder to do in a club like this which is not localised, but no harm in asking :)

That might work better in this club than you would think. We have more local area groups with which it might be possible to do something. If we did @BMR would be in my local group... :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Reactions: BMR
Back