• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

I tried getting the best mileage out of my Elgrand lastee for 1 week. Drove it nice and slow under 2000 rpm in city and sure enough, the fuel consumption came down 1L/100km but the drive was so boring. Worst of all, other non Elgrand fans were looking at me thinking "piece of shit van, get out of the way"

Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie to this site and to cars in general really but I'm really looking forward to getting my Elgrand (just trying to find a second hand one with the right specs). I saw all the posts about LPG conversion and was wondering where the LPG tank goes on the car? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I want the extra space inside the car (3 young kids) and the only LPG conversion I've seen is where the tank is in the boot. Is that still the case?
Thank you.

Please introduce yourself in the newbies section, and use the social sections to increase your post count to 10. Once you've done that, you will be able to access the technical section which has a whole forum relating to LPG etc. You will get all your questions answered in there.

But, as a quickie, the tank goes UNDER the vehicle and replaces the spare wheel.

IWorst of all, other non Elgrand fans were looking at me thinking "piece of shit van, get out of the way"

Low and slow my friend... low and slow. It's the way forward.

If anyone is thinking "piece of shit van"... you need better wheels ;) I love seeing people crane their neck to see my Elgrand as they pass me when I'm cruising slow :D

I think the best thing to get the maximum mpg is to put something like Redex fuel cleaner into your tank it's proved to work. I only do town work and in the summer I roughly get 21 miles to the gallon in winter it goes down to 18 to the gallon and that's not taking it particularly easy. I haven't done any long runs yet so I can't comment on that.
Watch the video give you some insight.
If you have never used it put twice as much in a couple of tank fill don't expect it to work straightaway it will take time but it's definitely worth doing.

Please introduce yourself in the newbies section, and use the social sections to increase your post count to 10. Once you've done that, you will be able to access the technical section which has a whole forum relating to LPG etc. You will get all your questions answered in there.

But, as a quickie, the tank goes UNDER the vehicle and replaces the spare wheel.
Thanks Karl! Will do.

Usually it goes where the spare wheel is , underneath the back end and you put the spare in the back of the bus.😎👍

Just got back from camping trip in Whitny nr Oxford returning to Worthing, Fuel warning light just come on - tank is 76L capacity, fuel cost was around 129.9PPL - for 3/4 of the tank I was towing a 1 ton folding caravan, 2 kids, 3 adults, 1 x 16kg dog and luggage for 4 days & AC on high for 95% of trip.
Trip KPH if I started to run on fumes for a bit would hit just over 400, since we got back I've done very short journeys in it <1 mile at times.
Works out to be approx 15mpg - my foot has also not been very light :innocent:

Trip to Cornwall soon so will take it a bit easier, think I could possibly push the figure upwards if I'm a little lighter on the pedal and have the AC off.

Expect poor economy. Really. I'm not gonna lie to you.

They are a 2 tonne bus with pretty appalling aerodynamics and large engines. They are designed for comfort and luxury, not for cheap motoring.

As a brief run down:

E50 QD32 3.2 Diesel - 26mpg average. 18mpg around the doors. 36mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 ZD30 3.0 Diesel - 28mpg average. 20mpg around the doors. 40mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 VG33 3.3 V6 - 18mpg average. 14mpg around the doors. 28mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 VQ35 3.5 V6 - 16mpg average. 12mpg around the doors. 28mpg on long runs at 55.

E51 VQ25 2.5 V6 - 22mpg average. 18mpg around the doors. 32mpg on long runs at 55.

E51 VQ35 3.5 V6 - 20mpg average. 16mpg around the doors. 30mpg on long runs at 55.

These are worst case scenarios. If you are getting less than this, you have a problem (either with your engine or your right foot). If you go into buying an Elgrand with these figures in mind, then you won't be swearing 6 months down the line when you are on first name terms with every petrol station attendant within 30 miles of your house.

That's very helpful, I note that the E51 3.5V6 has better economy that the E51 2.5V6. In that case it makes you wonder why they would make a 2.5V6? Perhaps its to do with the insurance! here in Australia insurance is quite cheap, cost me about 500GBP a year fully comp, and petrol is about 80 cents a litre. Not sure how that compare because its been a long time since I left the mother land for the colonies.
By the way just put a deposit on an N51 4WD 3.5 V6 so I'm quite happy if I can get 20mpg.
Cheers
Keith

E51 3.5V6 2004 London to Lymington return.
Air con on all the time
Top motorway speeds (traffic allowing).
Roof bars
Some traffic jams (maybe 10% of the overall time)
Total journey 405km
Consumption 47.8litres (Tesco Momentum)
8.5 litres/km or 23.9 mpg
I'm pretty happy with that, but I am sure that on shorter trips Boris doesn't get to 20mpg.
Wonder what difference the roof bars make? Probably not a lot as I am driving what has been referred to as a brick (albeit a beautiful one). :)

I don't worry about running costs, if I did I would drive something else this is the govt stats for my 3.5l petrol one
Fuel economy

The on-road fuel cost of this vehicle is estimated at $3,640 / year based on driving 14,000 km per year.
Cost assumes petrol price of $2.00 per litre.
from nz site
https://rightcar.govt.nz/

I don't worry about running costs, if I did I would drive something else this is the govt stats for my 3.5l petrol one
Fuel economy

The on-road fuel cost of this vehicle is estimated at $3,640 / year based on driving 14,000 km per year.
Cost assumes petrol price of $2.00 per litre.
from nz site
https://rightcar.govt.nz/
I agree, don't buy an Elgrand if you are going to worry about the petrol. The details that I have given above will be the first and last time I do a fuel consumption check on the car (unless there is a serious problem with it). Just out of interest our petrol seem to cost about 1/3rd more than yours. :)

That's very helpful, I note that the E51 3.5V6 has better economy that the E51 2.5V6. In that case it makes you wonder why they would make a 2.5V6? Perhaps its to do with the insurance! here in Australia insurance is quite cheap, cost me about 500GBP a year fully comp, and petrol is about 80 cents a litre. Not sure how that compare because its been a long time since I left the mother land for the colonies.
By the way just put a deposit on an N51 4WD 3.5 V6 so I'm quite happy if I can get 20mpg.
Cheers
Keith
Fuel and wear and tear, it is swings and roundabouts
in nz fuel is approx 2.00 nz a litre, (alot of tax on it) full insurance about $500 a year, registration about $80 a year, warant of fitness 50-60 a year, (annual for year 2000 +, 6 monthly for older than 2000, go big, my reasoning is bigger engines don't work so hard so should last longer, and on the open road should be reasonably efficient, it all depends how heavy your foot is

Thanks jKay, good to know. Fuel, Taxis and coffee may be expensive in New Zealand but what a great place with great people.

... reasonably efficient, it all depends how heavy your foot is

Yes indeed, plus how much stop/start/hill driving you do.

Going back to Karl's original comment, it's not 'poor economy' as such, it's actually quite efficient for what it is. There are cars and bikes out there that are inefficient due to mapping or design fundamentals, although less and less these days. I used to have a Mk1 MX5 which used almost as much fuel as my Elgrand, but it had half the engine capacity and half the weight - that's what I'd call poor economy.

An E51 running properly and driven smoothly will do 20-25mpg for the long trips that I do, avoiding stop/start. Throw in stop/start/hills and it'll do half that. That's all there is to it, really, as you're hauling a large weight with a largish frontal area with a big naturally aspirated engine (part of the reason we like them) which always use a bit more juice ... or a lot more if you boot it.

Best efficiency I've ever known have been my Ducati bikes, 20-30 year old designs weighing 200kg, which do 55-60mpg whilst being faster than almost all other traffic :)

Expect poor economy. Really. I'm not gonna lie to you.

They are a 2 tonne bus with pretty appalling aerodynamics and large engines. They are designed for comfort and luxury, not for cheap motoring.

As a brief run down:

E50 QD32 3.2 Diesel - 26mpg average. 18mpg around the doors. 36mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 ZD30 3.0 Diesel - 28mpg average. 20mpg around the doors. 40mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 VG33 3.3 V6 - 18mpg average. 14mpg around the doors. 28mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 VQ35 3.5 V6 - 16mpg average. 12mpg around the doors. 28mpg on long runs at 55.

E51 VQ25 2.5 V6 - 22mpg average. 18mpg around the doors. 32mpg on long runs at 55.

E51 VQ35 3.5 V6 - 20mpg average. 16mpg around the doors. 30mpg on long runs at 55.

These are worst case scenarios. If you are getting less than this, you have a problem (either with your engine or your right foot). If you go into buying an Elgrand with these figures in mind, then you won't be swearing 6 months down the line when you are on first name terms with every petrol station attendant within 30 miles of your house.

Thanks for the figures, having a large family and now an ex owner of a Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD, these figures are very close, so have been used to them for years. However, I must say, the Elgrand feels a lot lighter and has given me better fuel economy than the Chrysler on short runs and I'm happy with that...

I'm only a week into ownership. Done 445km since buying it, a big chunk of that was the drive home from Worcester to Leeds.

Just filled it with approx £70 worth. Is that tank range (280ish miles) about right? It's obviously not frugal but we need to use it in our normal routine to get a proper feel for how good/bad it is. Currently saving for the LPG conversion. Usually do about 12k per year in our main family car so payback should take that long.

I have a later model with a knackered fuel guage and just covered 517kms ON £79 ,(not done any sums) . I fill it rather than try to calculate what is left in the tank. All i can say is that i get a big smile with every mile so don't really give a toss about fuel consumption.However , if this was my daily drive then i would probably be looking at LPG .

I have a later model with a knackered fuel guage and just covered 517kms ON £79 ,(not done any sums) . I fill it rather than try to calculate what is left in the tank. All i can say is that i get a big smile with every mile so don't really give a toss about fuel consumption.However , if this was my daily drive then i would probably be looking at LPG .
That's 24.2 mpg

Back