• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

If I'm on a real long trip I'll stick to 60. Seems to make gas last a bit longer.
Ive also found 60 to be an excellent crusing speed for the Elgrand too. It just eats up the miles with no effort and the fuel computer just keep going up and up. Best ive had to date is 10.3 KPL which equates to around 28 MPG

I like to see the healthy debate on fuel economy continues. To me I bought the van knowing it was gonna be thristy and am actually surprised at the return I am getting at the minute.

To me I’d rather have power, good looking van and rubbish return in fuel. Compared to a T5, T26 or numerous other VWs with no power or style.

Getting 22mph currently mixed driving and foot planted to leave some wanna be boy racers 👍

I like to see the healthy debate on fuel economy continues. To me I bought the van knowing it was gonna be thristy and am actually surprised at the return I am getting at the minute.

To me I’d rather have power, good looking van and rubbish return in fuel. Compared to a T5, T26 or numerous other VWs with no power or style.

Getting 22mph currently mixed driving and foot planted to leave some wanna be boy racers 👍
Its all swings and roundabouts matey. Everyone will be getting differing fugures as we all drive differently. And we shall have less of the VW foul language on here too please:p:p:p:p:p:grinning::grinning:

In the Elgrand handbook it states that for best economy around town, stick to 40kmph (30mph) and on motorways 80kmph (60mph).

This will be why people seem to like sitting at 60 for cruising comfort and economy.

In the Elgrand handbook it states that for best economy around town, stick to 40kmph (30mph) and on motorways 80kmph (60mph).

This will be why people seem to like sitting at 60 for cruising comfort and economy.

Is not 100kph 60mph? Is handbook saying 50mph then?

Staying around 100kph on my Elgrand is definitely more comfortable, one of the main things is a lot less wind noise for driver and passengers. Just need one of those cruise control throttle boxes next.

Is not 100kph 60mph? Is handbook saying 50mph then?

Staying around 100kph on my Elgrand is definitely more comfortable, one of the main things is a lot less wind noise for driver and passengers. Just need one of those cruise control throttle boxes next.
100kph = 60/62 mph matey. ISH

Sorry yeah, 50mph. Bad maths.

But the handbook states 40kmph around town and 80kmph on motorway.

Is not 100kph 60mph?

62.137 mph to be precise. That's our top open road speed here in Victoria (Australia) - except on some freeways, where it's 110 kph = 68.350 mph. Thankfully, if we do decide to go ahead with the 3.5 litre V6, (I have my eye on a beautiful 2006 E51 Ryder atm); we should get similar fuel numbers to what's been quoted here.

Cheers

Steve

Hi there, I’m a Elgrand newbie, picked up a 3.5 4x4 a few weeks ago. Interesting read!! I brought the E to go on ski trips couple times a year and was thinking about a LPG conversion but there is a rule that you not allowed on the channel tunnel if your car is fitted with a LPG system! Is anyone aware of this and come into problems if travelling via the tunnel to cross over to France? I don’t know if the ferry has this same rule but I don’t do boats especially winter seasons!!

I have a few questions that needs answering but thought I’d start here as it’s the first thread I’ve read.

but there is a rule that you not allowed on the channel tunnel if your car is fitted with a LPG system!

Wow! Who would have thought? I mean the train is fast and would be leaving ANY fumes in its wake - if there even were any?? :worried:

Cheers

Steve

Yes u r right about the tunnel , no Lpg converted car allowed , don’t no how they enforce rule , but I just go via ferry , no such rule on there

Yes u r right about the tunnel , no Lpg converted car allowed , don’t no how they enforce rule , but I just go via ferry , no such rule on there

I probably won’t do the mileage to justify the conversion anyway. Think I’ll just leave as it is for now! Going away in a few weeks so will see how much my wallet hurts 😀

I probably won’t do the mileage to justify the conversion anyway. Think I’ll just leave as it is for now! Going away in a few weeks so will see how much my wallet hurts 😀
I think when I got my Lpg conversion I worked out , I had to do 11-12 k miles to pay for itself , also think how long u plan to keep motor , upto now I have done 30k in it

I average 8kl/l around the doors 30,40,60s on Tesco Momentum 99 occasional F1 start as you do :cool:

Wondering if I need to get my plugs changed looking at some figures on here. I'm getting 5.5km/l around town, school runs etc. Done a lot of motorway miles last few days and that's bumped the average up to 6km/l

well as i spend most of my driving on dual carrigeways and motorway and stick to the speed limits i got 300 miles out of £68 quids worth
@1.35 ltr so it is around 50 lts and 5 lts is a bit more than a gallon so around 28 ish i would reckon at this point you all will run away and tell me im wrong but i do do a bit around town as well the upside is im chuffed i was expecting 23 to 24 im not known for having a light right foot

Back