• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

Wondering if I need to get my plugs changed looking at some figures on here. I'm getting 5.5km/l around town, school runs etc. Done a lot of motorway miles last few days and that's bumped the average up to 6km/l[/QUOTE

Try resetting the km/l counter before doing a motorway run as the 6 km/l is an average including all your town driving.
I've been using mine to drive to the station since Christmas and was only averaging 3.5 (13mpg) miles/litre (mines been converted to read miles) about a 2 mile trip twice s day. But reset the counter before a recent trip to Dorset and got 6.1 miles per litre (23mpg). I have a heavy right foot & was fully loaded.

The money I paid Simon for my conversion is well worth it just for the stupid childish giggling thumbs up 'we know we are clever' club when you meet a fellow LPG convert at the pump.

The money I paid Simon for my conversion is well worth it just for the stupid childish giggling thumbs up 'we know we are clever' club when you meet a fellow LPG convert at the pump.

Doubt I do enough miles to make it worth while to be honest man. I'm going to live with it for now and if/when it reaches the point I can't live with it, it will be sold.

well as i spend most of my driving on dual carrigeways and motorway and stick to the speed limits i got 300 miles out of £68 quids worth
@1.35 ltr so it is around 50 lts and 5 lts is a bit more than a gallon so around 28 ish i would reckon at this point you all will run away and tell me im wrong but i do do a bit around town as well the upside is im chuffed i was expecting 23 to 24 im not known for having a light right foot
That works out at 27mpg

In the 3 weeks I have had mine I’ve had figures of
28mpg when going to Cromer/Hunstanton
27mpg going to skeggy
24mpg this weekend going to the Peak District
So quite happy
I had a Peugeot van based motor home with Diesel engine in 2010 and only averaged 28 in that

Wondering if I need to get my plugs changed looking at some figures on here. I'm getting 5.5km/l around town, school runs etc. Done a lot of motorway miles last few days and that's bumped the average up to 6km/l
Do you re set it all before you drive off and after a fill up????

Agree. Its very comfortable to drive my E50, but it is drinking 13 l/100 KM of petrol. But still I can make 500 km without fuelling up :)

Spot on with the figures at the beginning of this thread. Just done Pembrokeshire to Bristol and back again on Friday. Didn't spare the horses and mostly cruising at speed limit on motorway, no traffic issues and returned 21 MPG :) E50 - 4 people on board and tyres run at 40 psi (it makes a lot of difference) 32-34 psi gives nicer ride but in good conditions loaded and cruising 40 psi all around. Worst MPG 18 best 28 MPG (but that was 2 up and very light on pedal, lifting off to reduce breaking. But most importantly lovely comfortable drive but didn't see a single other Elgrand only a few bongo's and MILLIONS of VW. I like to be different.

I got 25mpg out of my e51 over 200 miles 😁😁😁

I (a newbie) am certainly interested in saving money on fuel while at the same time driving a vehicle that suits all of our other needs. It was very interesting feeling some of that hostility that came from a Traveller - not sure that it was at all necessary though?

Here in Australia it wouldn't be economically feasible to do an LPG conversion based on the conversion costs and LPG prices, but I DO have one pre-converted unit in my sights - otherwise, I might go with the 3.2 Litre Diesel E50.

I'd welcome any thoughts guys?

Steve

Thanks for sharing this, LPG used to be a common mod for V6s and V8s in Aus and NZ. Less popular now I think due to rise in LPG prices.

I wanted to fill up with lpg a couple of days ago but the pump at my local Morrison's was kaput so I had to travel ten miles to the nearest place to fill up. It was OK though as my wife wanted to go shopping about two miles from where I needed to go. It was also OK because instead of paying 58p a litre at Morrison's I got it for 53p at the Calor Centre.
The pump at Morrison's is fixed now but I went across the moors to Thornton-le-Dale a couple of days before that to pick up a generator. I wanted some lpg so called at two places on the way there - neither had sold lpg for the past 18 months - but they were still listed on the lpg app I have on my satnav.
I ended up at Helmsley on the way back and paid 64p a litre there.

It seems that there are increasingly fewer places that sell lpg so this needs to be taken into consideration when contemplating whether to get converted to lpg.

Does anyone have any good ideas about how to improve this situation?
I contacted Morrison's and asked if they had any plans to sell lpg at ALL their petrol stations but they only said that they would consider it at their next meeting.
Some ASDA stores sell lpg so I sent them a similar message but was sent a list of all their stores that do sell it - nothing else.

I wonder if all the lpg users got together and petitioned a retailer it would make any difference. It would be nice to know that all you had to do was find a particular store to be sure to be able to fill up with lpg. It would enhance their "green" credentials and probably increase their revenue as many of us would shop there after filling up.
Simon: If you read this - what are the chances of members of the lpg site you use uniting on this?

I wanted to fill up with lpg a couple of days ago but the pump at my local Morrison's was kaput so I had to travel ten miles to the nearest place to fill up. It was OK though as my wife wanted to go shopping about two miles from where I needed to go. It was also OK because instead of paying 58p a litre at Morrison's I got it for 53p at the Calor Centre.
The pump at Morrison's is fixed now but I went across the moors to Thornton-le-Dale a couple of days before that to pick up a generator. I wanted some lpg so called at two places on the way there - neither had sold lpg for the past 18 months - but they were still listed on the lpg app I have on my satnav.
I ended up at Helmsley on the way back and paid 64p a litre there.

It seems that there are increasingly fewer places that sell lpg so this needs to be taken into consideration when contemplating whether to get converted to lpg.

Does anyone have any good ideas about how to improve this situation?
I contacted Morrison's and asked if they had any plans to sell lpg at ALL their petrol stations but they only said that they would consider it at their next meeting.
Some ASDA stores sell lpg so I sent them a similar message but was sent a list of all their stores that do sell it - nothing else.

I wonder if all the lpg users got together and petitioned a retailer it would make any difference. It would be nice to know that all you had to do was find a particular store to be sure to be able to fill up with lpg. It would enhance their "green" credentials and probably increase their revenue as many of us would shop there after filling up.
Simon: If you read this - what are the chances of members of the lpg site you use uniting on this?
Good subject George.
We should try to expand on this.
Maybe new thread.

This is our third season with our converted E51. I've never been too bothered about mpg, but on our first major trip to Skye, and the NW Highlands I thought I'd see if the official 25 mpg was attainable. We were towing a fully laden 6x4 trailer between sites, and doing day trips on hilly and often single track roads and achieved. 24.7.
The following year we went to Ireland, without the trailer, and still driving to the speed limits (mostly!) got virtually the same.
Our previous camper was a Bongo (hence the handle) with a 2.5 diesel, and at best we were getting 28 mpg. With the price difference now for diesel, I'm sure we're better off.
I would be interested to hear comments regarding premium unleaded v regular, and indeed supermarket fuel v the rest.

Expect poor economy. Really. I'm not gonna lie to you.

They are a 2 tonne bus with pretty appalling aerodynamics and large engines. They are designed for comfort and luxury, not for cheap motoring.

As a brief run down:

E50 QD32 3.2 Diesel - 26mpg average. 18mpg around the doors. 36mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 ZD30 3.0 Diesel - 28mpg average. 20mpg around the doors. 40mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 VG33 3.3 V6 - 18mpg average. 14mpg around the doors. 28mpg on long runs at 55.

E50 VQ35 3.5 V6 - 16mpg average. 12mpg around the doors. 28mpg on long runs at 55.

E51 VQ25 2.5 V6 - 22mpg average. 18mpg around the doors. 32mpg on long runs at 55.

E51 VQ35 3.5 V6 - 20mpg average. 16mpg around the doors. 30mpg on long runs at 55.

These are worst case scenarios. If you are getting less than this, you have a problem (either with your engine or your right foot). If you go into buying an Elgrand with these figures in mind, then you won't be swearing 6 months down the line when you are on first name terms with every petrol station attendant within 30 miles of your house.
Good to know thanks

I run my E50 on LPG and at 65p a litre it really is cheap. Just make sure you get the flashlube system to look after the valves.

Hi Stevie,

Same £1595.

If we know £1595 and 7000 miles per year, we just need to know average mpg to calculate payback time.

Suppose you get 20mpg, that's 350 gallons, if petrol is £1.20 per litre that's £1911 per year on petrol.

If LPG is half price (60p) that'd be £955.50 per year but you use a bit more (say 10%) LPG than you would petrol, then again it depends on the price you can buy LPG.. You can buy it at far less than 60p some places, but let's assume 60p and you use 10% more. So now you use £955.5+10% = £1052 of LPG in a year. Actually you'll use a small amount of petrol during the brief engine warmup period too, so call it £1100. So 1595/1100 = 1.45 years = 17.4 months.

Converted about 20 Elgrands so far this year, got another coming for conversion on Monday, another the Monday after, 2 coming the week after that! Got Elgrands booked in through October and November too but not fully booked up, could fit other Elgrand conversions in during that time.

Thanks,

Simon

Where do you get petrol at £1.20 ???

This is our third season with our converted E51. I've never been too bothered about mpg, but on our first major trip to Skye, and the NW Highlands I thought I'd see if the official 25 mpg was attainable. We were towing a fully laden 6x4 trailer between sites, and doing day trips on hilly and often single track roads and achieved. 24.7.
The following year we went to Ireland, without the trailer, and still driving to the speed limits (mostly!) got virtually the same.
Our previous camper was a Bongo (hence the handle) with a 2.5 diesel, and at best we were getting 28 mpg. With the price difference now for diesel, I'm sure we're better off.
I would be interested to hear comments regarding premium unleaded v regular, and indeed supermarket fuel v the rest.

I think I mentioned previously but Work in an industry where higher octane fuel is kinder on engine parts and offers a higher return in mpg.
Recent trials at a international test facility has proven this using a certain brand.
I myself use highest octane I can find.

I knew the mpg rates before I bought my E51 two weeks ago. I have to say that when you boot it, you can see the gauge moving down!!! When you let up it returns to an area lower than before! This is all common sense but still scares me and reminds me of my Mitsubishi Starion which did 15mpg and less when on it!
I don’t count in revs now, only 50p increments!

Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie to this site and to cars in general really but I'm really looking forward to getting my Elgrand (just trying to find a second hand one with the right specs). I saw all the posts about LPG conversion and was wondering where the LPG tank goes on the car? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I want the extra space inside the car (3 young kids) and the only LPG conversion I've seen is where the tank is in the boot. Is that still the case?
Thank you.

Back