• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

I go for the higher octane on a refill . I get the same miles for the same amount of cash so why use lower octane unleaded ?
When you use low octane fuel on 3.5 car is struggle and more engine sound.. even factory says use premium for 3.5 on my 3.5 high octane always gives better mpg than smooth drive..

Did my first motorway trip today, zeroed out when I joined the motorway, and by the time I got to my destination I was at 5.9mpl, or 26.8mpg. Before a bit of traffic and a hill approaching Bristol I was even at 6.1mpl, or 27.7mpg or 9.8km/l. Not quite so bad. Still literally watching the needle drop while I'm driving but not quite so bad.

I also noticed i got better economy using "manual" to force it to stay in 5th, and maybe better at 75 than 65 even.

When you use low octane fuel on 3.5 car is struggle and more engine sound.. even factory says use premium for 3.5 on my 3.5 high octane always gives better mpg than smooth drive..

That's exactly what I found on mine, better fuel economy on the higher octance fuel.

That's exactly what I found on mine, better fuel economy on the higher octance fuel.
I've been working on a theory why some people like me get no advantage by putting high-grade fuel in I'm just wondering do you have to top your oil up before oil changes?

even if you find 102( which i found in germany) it gives much better performance and much more mpg than 99..
IF YOU HAVE 3.5 Elgrand YOU SHOULD USE HIGH OCTANE PETROL ,, EVEN tesco momentum is better than shell vpower..

I used nothing but Tescos 99 ron since I bought my Elgrand. I have the bonus of a Tescos petrol station 1 minute down the road.

Is BP Ultimate 102 still available anywhere? Not that anyone is likely to pay £2.50 per litre or whaterver it is now.

Is BP Ultimate 102 still available anywhere? Not that anyone is likely to pay £2.50 per litre or whaterver it is now.
I think bp has only 95 and 97ron. And 97 was quite expensive than 99 Tesco momentum. I bought 102 in Germany .

I've been working on a theory why some people like me get no advantage by putting high-grade fuel in I'm just wondering do you have to top your oil up before oil changes?
N
Officially Nissan recommend premium fuel for 3.5 but you can use normal fuel for 2.5. u can still use 95ron fuel but it makes engine struggle and in time you will have more problem..(which it was explained on forum before) just fill your tank with once 95ron and go long distance and then try 99 and compare..
Oil.. yes Elgrand engine burns oil not a lot but like say if u can every 6k miles your oil you can top up up to 500ml some ppl use little more some of them less..

Hi Cemmy074 thank you for your reply about the amount of oil you use between top ups.

What my theory is people who use 95 ROM do not top their engines oil between services?.

I do not top my oil up even after 3000 miles it is never low it’s when I change mine oil I use 5/30.

I don’t find any advantage at all putting 99 ROM in it doesn’t perform any better it doesn’t smooth engine out in any way at all and it doesn’t give me more mpg.

So I was wondering why people were saying the opposite so my theory is if you’re using oil that oil is being burnt by the engine which is degrading the octane of your fuel so if you are using 95 ROM it might be going down to 91 ROM? Which would be low-grade for the Elgrand but if you are using 99 ROM the degrade will take you down to 96 ROM? And after doing some research about catch cans a lots of people have turned round and said that so by using catch cans and not allowing the oil to be burnt in the combustion cycle you might find that you could use 95 ROM as I said this is only a theory it would take someone who is using oil to use some catch cans to find out.

I have fitted 2 catch cans to my engine and so far after 1000 miles there is no oil in them.

Hi Cemmy074 thank you for your reply about the amount of oil you use between top ups.

What my theory is people who use 95 ROM do not top their engines oil between services?.

I do not top my oil up even after 3000 miles it is never low it’s when I change mine oil I use 5/30.

I don’t find any advantage at all putting 99 ROM in it doesn’t perform any better it doesn’t smooth engine out in any way at all and it doesn’t give me more mpg.

So I was wondering why people were saying the opposite so my theory is if you’re using oil that oil is being burnt by the engine which is degrading the octane of your fuel so if you are using 95 ROM it might be going down to 91 ROM? Which would be low-grade for the Elgrand but if you are using 99 ROM the degrade will take you down to 96 ROM? And after doing some research about catch cans a lots of people have turned round and said that so by using catch cans and not allowing the oil to be burnt in the combustion cycle you might find that you could use 95 ROM as I said this is only a theory it would take someone who is using oil to use some catch cans to find out.

I have fitted 2 catch cans to my engine and so far after 1000 miles there is no oil in them.
I'm not using any oil so far. I run 99 Ron. Today I even put some octain booster in and I have to say the engine ran sweet as a nut. The power delivery was smoother than normal and I felt it was quieter whilst cruising. Maybe I'm imagining it, maybe I'm not, but I use 99 Ron religiously.

I'm not using any oil so far. I run 99 Ron. Today I even put some octain booster in and I have to say the engine ran sweet as a nut. The power delivery was smoother than normal and I felt it was quieter whilst cruising. Maybe I'm imagining it, maybe I'm not, but I use 99 Ron religiously.
Yes really strange as you’re not using any oil so my theory might be wrong but the whole point is it seems to be no way of knowing if your engine is going to be okay or not on 95 or 99 so the only ways is to try both like me 95 brilliant 99 is a waste of Money for me.

I use premium fuel as for one the higher octane is recommended by the manufacturer and also premium fuels contain the correct additives to allow the engine to run at peak efficiency and performance over extended mileages.

I won't be doing a comparison test on the Elgrand as I don't want to fill it with 95 RON unless absolutely unavoidable, but I have done comparisons on my Volvo and have found a 3mpg increase using 99 RON over 95 RON and a notably crisper throttle response. Also had a similar result with my old Citroen C5 V6.

Yes really strange as you’re not using any oil so my theory might be wrong but the whole point is it seems to be no way of knowing if your engine is going to be okay or not on 95 or 99 so the only ways is to try both like me 95 brilliant 99 is a waste of Money for me.
A lot depends on how you drive it. Higher Ron is for hard driving. I have large heavy boots.

A lot depends on how you drive it. Higher Ron is for hard driving. I have large heavy boots.
I use exclusively Tesco momentum and my mpg tracks online at around 13. The in car screen sits at 5.2 regardless of how I drive 😂

Don't have a Tesco nearby so use Shell which in half a mile away.

I got a Tescos just down the road from my house.

ENOUGH of this lpg, 95, 99 102/3 nonsense, Can we go back a few hundred entries and discuss the really important issue. Which is better Warburtons or Hobbs?......

ENOUGH of this lpg, 95, 99 102/3 nonsense, Can we go back a few hundred entries and discuss the really important issue. Which is better Warburtons or Hobbs?......
That should read Warburtons or Hovis. Bloody auto checker.

Back