• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel Economy

so, I bought a 3.5 Elgrand on Saturday, it was totally empty and I put 46.91 litres (10.32gals) of fuel in, the needle went to 8/5ths of a tank, I travelled 90 miles home and the needle reads half a tank remainingg. By my calculation 1/8th of a tank of fuel is 16.72gals / 8 = 2.09gals, this being the amount used, by dividing 90 miles travelled by 2.09gals I get 43.06 mpg! Now even to my crazy brain I know this can't be correct, can someone point out my elementary mistake please 😵

so, I bought a 3.5 Elgrand on Saturday, it was totally empty and I put 46.91 litres (10.32gals) of fuel in, the needle went to 8/5ths of a tank, I travelled 90 miles home and the needle reads half a tank remainingg. By my calculation 1/8th of a tank of fuel is 16.72gals / 8 = 2.09gals, this being the amount used, by dividing 90 miles travelled by 2.09gals I get 43.06 mpg! Now even to my crazy brain I know this can't be correct, can someone point out my elementary mistake please 😵

Probably assuming the gauge is that accurate. Gauges at best are a rough estimate. Always best to brim the tank, run it and then brim the tank again. Even this is not perfect, but it is about as good as possible.

You're also assuming that gauge is linear.

As said you need brimfull to brimfull, over a number of refills, making a mental note of the type of driving for each one.

If I drive super smooth and steady in my works van I can just about get 43 mpg on a long run, but that's a diesel VW.

it was totally empty and I put 46.91 litres

Interesting to note I fill mine as soon as the low fuel light comes on and can always get over 50 litres in (s1 e51)

1/8th of a tank over 90 miles = 26.8mpg. If you filled up to 8/5 I think you spilt some..

Last edited:
Interesting to note I fill mine as soon as the low fuel light comes on and can get over 50 litres in (s1 e51)
Tank capacity is 76 litres

Have just gone over the 100,000 K mark in the Cho , thats only 72,000 K in 14 months , on petrol , if I had wanted to save fuel I wouldnt have bought an Elgie , why buy a thirsty big vehicle and then spend to make it economical ? , plenty of 1.9 T4s about to do the same job cheaper , however I wouldnt have met such a nice bunch of people on this forum , always ready to accept the diversity of the group and not judge or preach or use it as a marketing media .
Let's face it a newer T4 still looks "cheaper" than the Elgrand too. Rather have the comfort and a lil style to spend my hard earned on

I am grateful for the extra power now and then when driving in some sticky situations. But do want to minimise my petrol consumption. 🤔

Two months ago i have Simon convert my 54 plate 3.5 xl to lpg the other day i emptied the gas tank and put in 4 gallons of gas ran it empty and got 69.9 miles or 17.4 to the gallon this was all town work with a light right foot apart from 4/5 rips from the traffic lights pissing of boy races haha i think thats plenty of smiles per gallon this is the fourth time ive tested the mpg this way and all have been 17+ im well pleased as morrisons lpg is 55.7 per litre in kings lynn what a bargain 👍😁👍😁👍😁

some good info here. thanks all.

I properly calculated mine recently and it was doing just under 17mpg over the last 80litre fill.

I'm currently paying 50.9p for gas (which is feking excellent) so if you use local Asda price for petrol is equates to an equivalent of 40mpg on petrol. Then allow for about 10% efficiency advantage petrol has over lpg and you're looking at an equivalent 36mpg ish.

Which isn't bad for the size of the thing.

I use cost per mile rather than mpg now that I'm running on lpg (another happy @Lpgc customer!). I average just a shade under 6km/l and so far my average lpg price has been 57.7p per litre. This rounds up to 10p per kilometre, or 16p per mile. When I was running on super unleaded I calculated a cost per mile of 37p. So once i've covered 8,071 miles my lpg conversion will have paid for itself! And in the meantime I am using the beast more than ever as it's so reasonable to run :laughing:

i count mine in smiles per mile :) put fuel in put foot down repeat still grinning after a year of daily driving its a two ton wagon after all :rolleyes:

What is everyones average on the fuel screen for km/l in petrol.. mine on average states about 4.5-5! is this normal and how can i get it bigger apart from doing a lpg conversion??

no silly jokes around here pls.. we're all grown men and women with no money in our pockets since buying an Elgrand and i want to get it as close to 19.99999km/l as i can;)

if i add another engine next to the current one will i get higher km/l??:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Yes if you aim down hill, I always get 99.99 down hill

Back