• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Front seat swivel bases

May look at hiring a welder, or borrow one from a mate. Unless the ones you bought will do .

The welding is very minimal and non structural, so easy with any hobby welder.

The item was ended ages ago, all I could copy was the pixelated photo of them in my earlier post... when I get them out to fit, I’ll take more photos...
Ah I wondered if that was them . Will carry on searching.

T
May look at hiring a welder, or borrow one from a mate. Unless the ones you bought will do .
Plenty welders will come to u , I might know of one down your way but would have to check with a mate first , I don’t know this welder it’s a mate of a mate

don't know if its me being thick but just had a look at Alan's write up and my seats are not on runners in the floor. As you can see from photos mine are a totally different fitting . Mine sit above the carpet not in it ? . Any one any thoughts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200419-122910_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200419-122910_Samsung Internet.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 20200419_122637.jpg
    20200419_122637.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 103
Me being thick , just read further into the thread and you have to put runners into the floor from what I can see. I think it will be easier to fit a swivel plate between seat and seat frame.

Great thread, which I’m following with interest as I think as time goes on, alternative diy solutions should become available at a more reasonable price. I’ve currently got two projects on the go which I’d like to put front swivel bases in... the Series 2 XL camper project which I want to keep the full features of the original front seats... heated and electric adjustment. For this one I’ve bought a pair of Decato swivel bases from eBay. For the second car I’m using the twin armrested recliner based middle row XL seats in the front... and plan to go the @AlanM route with that and I’ve already used his idea to adjust the offset of the middle row to allow full front to back movement of the middle row seats in that car...

View attachment 33094
Love the idea of using the swivelling XL middle seats as driving seats and then being able to slide full length front to rear.
If that's how I understand what your doing.
But can't quite see the advantage!
Only 2 seats in the van?
Am I missing something?

Love the idea of using the swivelling XL middle seats as driving seats and then being able to slide full length front to rear.
If that's how I understand what your doing.
But can't quite see the advantage!
Only 2 seats in the van?
Am I missing something?
Toyota do a model I saw in Japan called the Royal Lounge that is an Alphard with 4 Seats...which has just 2 luxury ‘flight seats’ in the back... so this is the inspiration for my project Elgrand interior ... I’m using four series 2 middle row XL ‘flight seats’ with two arm rests each and recliner bases , the two at the front that can swivel to face the rears , the rear pair are able to slide from normal middle position all the way back to the back of the van, to create a party space or just to be a bit different ...

Toyota do a model I saw in Japan called the Royal Lounge that is an Alphard with 4 Seats...which has just 2 luxury ‘flight seats’ in the back... so this is the inspiration for my project Elgrand interior ... I’m using four series 2 middle row XL ‘flight seats’ with two arm rests each and recliner bases , the two at the front that can swivel to face the rears , the rear pair are able to slide from normal middle position all the way back to the back of the van, to create a party space or just to be a bit different ...
Don't forget to post photos when you fit the swivel bases , as I think that's the route I'm heading for .😎👍

I've always viewed this as the ultimate luxury Elgrand cruiser, complete with bulletproof glass iirc but possibly dreaming that bit, lol

@AlanM way is best way in my opinion, factory swivel seats don’t revolve to 90 deg to if both seats are swivelled your legs hit each other ( or this what used to happen in my e50 ) I had 2 sets of front swivel seats for my e50 (been told they fit into e51 but don’t know for sure ) anyway I sold one set and gave other away do to not using , a plate will lift seat height

Currently playing with layouts and table tops to get the best out of it without fully removing any seats... but think I’m gonna have to to get the most out of the space....so swivel seats would be a game changer

BD61A68E-8031-419D-A2F7-FDC1E1A7E0ED.jpeg

Last edited:
Currently playing with layouts and table tops to get the best out of it without fully removing any seats... but think I’m gonna have to to get the most out of the space....so swivel seats would be a game changer
I've tried ringing jap autos , went to voice mail and then had missed call from him . Will let you know what happens.

This is my set up

Attachments

• IMG_20200310_142312998 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200310_142312998 (2).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20200227_153442015 (3).jpg
    IMG_20200227_153442015 (3).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20200310_142304018 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200310_142304018 (1).jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20200227_153442015 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200227_153442015 (1).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 90

Made and fitted these captain recaro seats for sub £500. The £700 for factory seats just isn't very good value for money IMO.

Pics of the original bases below last few pics.
I removed most of what you see bar the lower rails. Used 40mm box section in the end so seats sit low. The last pic shows with 70mm C channel

One of my favourite mods to date 😀

Made and fitted these captain recaro seats for sub £500. The £700 for factory seats just isn't very good value for money IMO.

Pics of the original bases below last few pics.
I removed most of what you see bar the lower rails. Used 40mm box section in the end so seats sit low. The last pic shows with 70mm C channel

One of my favourite mods to date 😀
Are these home made or bought from somewhere? .

Are these home made or bought from somewhere? .

Bought the initial bases from crazycraig on here he removed them from his project they were aftermarket and not very good tbh. However had good base rails to work up from. Changed the sliders from top mount to bottom mount. Removed the rails and used them with 40mm box section and 50mm swivel plates of eBay about £130 each swivel plate from memory.

Back