• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Front seat swivel bases

Yes alan they are as gary is related to paul so he gets gary a lot of the jobs when he brings in the cars

Been in touch with Gary Hall about seat swivels , he has said they are not available for DIY home fitting which makes me think that they are not a straight swap for the old seat metal frame . Oh well I will keep looking for something that is a fairly easy home job . Seen loads of swivel bases , may have to look at buying one and see what it looks and fits like . Things like these photos , should be a fairly easy fit as long as its the right size to fit in the bottom of the seat and top of the seat metal frame 🤞😎👍

Forgot to add photo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200419-095914_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200419-095914_eBay.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 60
Hi Simon I was one of the first to do a camper Elgrand and I looked and tried for months to get someone to do a seat swivel and could not find one
Then after speaking to Paul at Jap auto agent who said he was in the process of designing a plate and in manufacture so I jumped at it.
The problem with standard plates is the turret on the floor at the front most plates do not clear it,I would use Alans method if you are going down your own root
So Paul is the only one that has a quality swivel that fits,

Hi Simon I was one of the first to do a camper Elgrand and I looked and tried for months to get someone to do a seat swivel and could not find one
Then after speaking to Paul at Jap auto agent who said he was in the process of designing a plate and in manufacture so I jumped at it.
The problem with standard plates is the turret on the floor at the front most plates do not clear it,I would use Alans method if you are going down your own root
So Paul is the only one that has a quality swivel that fits,
Hi. His may be the only one that fits but I live the other side of the country in county Durham. It would be a lot easier to buy them , get delivered to me and me fit them . As I said b4 I'm a retired mechanic so as long as there's no welding they should be an easy fit. Again it's the problem of traveling over to him and getting him to fit them . If it comes to it , I will just leave the seats as they are and save a lot of time and hassle . If someone produced these for DIY fitting I'm sure they would get quite a few orders from people like me. 😎👍

No just Gary, by email . Will send Paul an email . Do you know his email address by any chance .

I will be ringing him as you can speak direct and say you were put on to him from George from Southport for his number just goo jap auto agent

Just search for him and found his site , email sent. Cheers, George. 😎👍

Great thread, which I’m following with interest as I think as time goes on, alternative diy solutions should become available at a more reasonable price. I’ve currently got two projects on the go which I’d like to put front swivel bases in... the Series 2 XL camper project which I want to keep the full features of the original front seats... heated and electric adjustment. For this one I’ve bought a pair of Decato swivel bases from eBay. For the second car I’m using the twin armrested recliner based middle row XL seats in the front... and plan to go the @AlanM route with that and I’ve already used his idea to adjust the offset of the middle row to allow full front to back movement of the middle row seats in that car...

958A6C57-6FDE-4A02-89A5-8ED7A0C18BF5.png

Last edited:
Great thread, which I’m following with interest as I think as time goes on, alternative diy solutions should become available at a more reasonable price. I’ve currently got two projects on the go which I’d like to put swivel bases in... the Series 2 XL camper project which I want to keep the full features of the original front seats... heated and electric adjustment. For this one I’ve bought a pair of Decato swivel bases from eBay. For second car I’m using the twin armrested recliner based middle row XL seats in the front... and plan to go the @AlanM route with that and I’ve already used his idea to adjust the offset of the middle row to allow full front to back movement of the middle row seats in that car...

View attachment 33094

I'm also very interested in the outcome of this, as I would love to have some swivel front seats but the options are a little too pricey and too far away for most of us non-mechanical tinkerers down South :)

Do the Decato swivels work OK, and are they easy ish to fit . The main problem with any work that we carry out on our vehicles is that most of use just have a normal garage at home , ie no welder or not much space. So if there was a manufacturer of seat swivels for the DIY market , like the is for every other make/ model of van/ mpv. It would make everyone's life a lot easier. 😎👍

I'm also very interested in the outcome of this, as I would love to have some swivel front seats but the options are a little too pricey and too far away for most of us non-mechanical tinkerers down South :)
The @AlanM route would work well in your car and as you are not doing a side conversion the driver side should be no problem too... the downside will be that you have to get hold of a pair of middle seats... maybe from someone doing a camper conversion?

I have the middle seats sat in the garage , just don't have access to a welder or a bench . May re read the thread Alan m wrote and see if I can do it 🤞😎👍

Do the Decato swivels work OK, and are they easy ish to fit . The main problem with any work that we carry out on our vehicles is that most of use just have a normal garage at home , ie no welder or not much space. So if there was a manufacturer of seat swivels for the DIY market , like the is for every other make/ model of van/ mpv. It would make everyone's life a lot easier. 😎👍
I haven’t even unpacked them yet lol! But judging by the weight, they will be pretty sturdy. I chose them because they were the slimmest profile I could find.... and at £50 each, worth a punt. I’ll update the thread when I attempt to fit them. I’m putting the units in today, so the swivel fronts will be next.

Can you post a thread to ebay so I can have a look at them please or a photo of the swivels themselves. Cheers .

I have the middle seats sat in the garage , just don't have access to a welder or a bench . May re read the thread Alan m wrote and see if I can do it 🤞😎👍
It is easy. Alan explained the process very well, but I was a little daunted until I started working on the seat. I did my own welding, so the process cost nothing!

May look at hiring a welder, or borrow one from a mate. Unless the ones you bought will do .

Can you post a thread to ebay so I can have a look at them please or a photo of the swivels themselves. Cheers .
The item was ended ages ago, all I could copy was the pixelated photo of them in my earlier post... when I get them out to fit, I’ll take more photos...

The @AlanM route would work well in your car and as you are not doing a side conversion the driver side should be no problem too... the downside will be that you have to get hold of a pair of middle seats... maybe from someone doing a camper conversion?

I'm still excitidley weighing up all the options for the inside of the van, as its the last area I'll be looking at.

As we said last time we spoke, with the new legislation changes to what is classed as a camper van and the changes at the DVLA, it's definitely going to make people seek out alternative 'temporary' options, so I'm interested to see how all these options progress :)

One thing is for sure, the cost of some of the 'off the shelf internal pods' being offered online is ludicrous... :joy: :joy: :joy:

Back