• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Front seat swivel bases

Simon58

Here for life
Premium Member
North East
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Elgrand
E51
Region
North East
I know this has been discussed before, but there was talk of someone getting swivel bases made at some point. I'm just wondering if anything ever came of it , or does anyone know where they can be purchased from . 😎👍For an E51 .

There was a chap/company on one of the Facebook groups up north who was offering supply and fit swivel bases for £350 per front seat, and he was taking bookings for after the lockdown, sadly though, I can’t remember which FB group it was, doh

There was a chap/company on one of the Facebook groups up north who was offering supply and fit swivel bases for £350 per front seat, and he was taking bookings for after the lockdown, sadly though, I can’t remember which FB group it was, doh
If you do remember or find the page can you let me know. Cheers 😎👍

If you do remember or find the page can you let me know. Cheers 😎👍

Yes mate, just looking on Facebook now to see if I can find it :)

It's a guy Called Gary Hall at Elevating Roofs on one of the other groups FB page who was offering this, he's based in Stockport... but I'm not 100% sure if that price of £350 is plus Vat or not, sorry didn't ask at the time and I'm not sure on the origin of the kit or make, but neverless, a good price for a fitted swivel seat spinner :)

I have them at ElevatingRoofs custom made & for E51 s1 s2 s3, see my initial convo with him below

1587205518036.png

1587203153634.png

Last edited:
@AlanM has done a DIY guide on the forum.
Yep I've seen and read it , trying to just make life easier. Rather than having to weld and modify things . I have the 2 middle seats out and as I say looking for an easy solution.

This is off a vw , I've asked for measurements to see if it's any use for fitting to an Elgrand. £130 ish .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200418-105544_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200418-105544_eBay.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 24
This is off a vw , I've asked for measurements to see if it's any use for fitting to an Elgrand. £130 ish .

Not sure about that fitment myself, sorry.

I've been looking into having swivel seats fitted for ages but they always seem to get bumped for other things... maybe next year :)

You can get bases for all sorts of vehicles at reasonable prices ie £100 to £150ish but the ones I've seen for Elgrands are £350 ? .

That base is 430wide 410 long and 190 tall . Will have to go and measure the seat to see if its any good .

The guy linked to by @Claptrap (Gary Hall) is a recognised Drivelodge Elevating Roof fitter who has been used by amongst others iirc, @george shacklady and I believe Jap Auto Agent (where I got my E51 from, complete with Drivelodge roof).

Coincidentaly or not, Paul at Jap Auto Agent offers swivelling seat bases at £350 each and again, iirc, George Shacklady has used them in his latest conversion.

Some things to consider when going the swivel seat base route:
1. Some look very agricultural - not pleasing to the eye at all imho
2. Most will raise the overall seat height, so this may look odd if only doing one seat
3. If doing the driver seat, I would check to see if the OEM electrical seat adjustment is kept. I suspect not which may mean the forward/backward seat position for driving is in courser steps than that offered by the OEM system
4. If going for a side conversion too, you will need to sacrifice some side furniture space to allow the driver seat to come far enough rearward to clear the steering wheel on swivelling
5. And does the swivel mechanism allow the seat to be locked at different angles rather than just plain foward/rearward?
6. Finally, be confident in the mechanical strength of the swivel base - it's not likely to be M1 pull tested (edit: see post below in that it appears that the Jap Auto Agent one is M1 pull tested) so you'll need to be confident in the structural strength of the base.

As mentioned above, I fashioned my own - see link here. Three years on it has been trouble free and cost me £20 for some welding, otherwise all OEM fitting and anchor points were used.

Last edited:
The guy linked to by @Claptrap (Gary Hall) is a recognised Drivelodge Elevating Roof fitter who has been used by amongst others iirc, @george shacklady and I believe Jap Auto Agent (where I got my E51 from, complete with Drivelodge roof).

Coincidentaly or not, Paul at Jap Auto Agent offers swivelling seat bases at £350 each and again, iirc, George Shacklady has used them in his latest conversion.

Some things to consider when going the swivel seat base route:
1. Some look very agricultural - not pleasing to the eye at all imho
2. Most will raise the overall seat height, so this may look odd is only doing one seat
3. If doing the driver seat, I would check to see if the OEM electrical seat adjustment is kept. I suspect not which may mean the forward/backward seat position for driving is in courser steps than that offered by the OEM system
4. If going for a side conversion too, you will need to sacrifice some side furniture space to allow the driver seat to come far enough rearward to clear the steering wheel on swivelling
5. And does the swivel mechanism allow the seat to be locked at different angles rather than just plain foward/rearward?
6. Finally, be confident in the mechanical strength of the swivel base - it's not likely to be M1 pull tested so you'll need to be confident in the structural strength of the base.

As mentioned above, I fashioned my own - see link here. Three years on it has been trouble free and cost me £20 for some welding, otherwise all OEM fitting and anchor points were used.
The main problem i have is not being able to get the welding done , well not easily anyway . The vw base I've posted a photo of is a bit wide , but looks like it could be modified quite easily to fit the 4 bolt holes in the floor of the Elgrand and the height look about right. But will have a measure of the middle seats that I've got out to see if it's feasible and reasonably easy. And at less than half the price may be worth a try. Will keep people posted .

Hi @Simon58 - you probably know this already, but as much for other readers, the runner dimensions and centres are different for the mid seats and the front seats - it was this aspect that proved the most challenging to resolve in my self-build.

The mid seat runners are off-centre with respect to the seat whereas the front seat and runners are central to each other.

Hi @Simon58 - you probably know this already, but as much for other readers, the runner dimensions and centres are different for the mid seats and the front seats - it was this aspect that proved the most challenging to resolve in my self-build.

The mid seat runners are off-centre with respect to the seat whereas the front seat and runners are central to each other.
Yes I read your excellent write up on making a swivel base , was more just going to use the rear seats that are already out of the vehicle for measurement purposes.

Just for info Japauto Agents are well made and M1 Pull tested
Thanks for the update George and I've edited my earlier post to reflect your input.

Do you know if Paul's bases are the same ones as Gary Hall's?

Back