• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Can I convert the screens to English?

So it sounds like there could be a huge market for it if someone can figure it out :joy:
There are about 7000 E51 Elgrands in the UK, 1/3 will be S2 so maybe 2000 vehicles. Replicate those numbers to Aus and NZ and you might have 6000 potential customers.

Where as the S3 firmware works in the E52 and probably other JDM vehicles with the same Nav system.

Sounds quite expensive to covert. Might be easier to learn Japanese and use phone for Navigation.
How hard can it be?

Charles, i Thought NZ is around £1500 which is too much mainly to fix my clock. For that reason, I haven’t asked them about my S3.

She can contribute to it as a birthday present to me. may we’ll do this next month.

I'm waiting for a E52 to be converted the dealer has told me he is waiting for a sat nav module to come from Estonia, talking around £600 once the old unit is returned. He is not sure what other items will be in English once done. I did ask if a unit from UK Nissan would work but he didn't know.

So very daft question, is the the top screen connected to the nav or the stereo or both??

So very daft question, is the the top screen connected to the nav or the stereo or both??
In a S1 and S2 it's connected to the nav unit and has an internal board that displays vehicle information such as AC.

In a S3 the radio, nav and information are all provided by the same device.

Hi everyone, I'm intending on purchasing an E52 and want the entertainment system language in English. I note the following options are available:

1. Use a firmware update to covert the menus to English but the Sat nav will still be Japanese. Circa ~£150 from NZ.
2. Exchange the media unit from Xanavi for ~£800. I belive this gives full functionality.
3. Purchase a device from Nifty City that plugs into the back of the existing media system. I believe this also gives full functionality? ~£700.

Has anyone had any of the options done, in particular 2 & 3? Where there any features that didn't work as expected e.g. steering wheel controls. Also, does the rear drop down monitor (where fitted) work in English as well?

Thanks for any advice or links to previous threads in advanced

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm intending on purchasing an E52 and want the entertainment system language in English. I note the following options are available:

1. Use a firmware update to covert the menus to English but the Sat nav will still be Japanese. Circa ~£150 from NZ.
2. Exchange the media unit from Xanavi for ~£800. I belive this gives full functionality.
3. Purchase a device from Nifty City that plugs into the back of the existing media system. I believe this also gives full functionality? ~£700.

Has anyone had any of the options done, in particular 2 & 3? Where there any features that didn't work as expected e.g. steering wheel controls. Also, does the rear drop down monitor (where fitted) work in English as well?

Thanks for any advice or links to previous threads in advanced
Option 3 is an add-on rather than a conversion, it gives you Android Auto or Carplay in English, but the factory Nav will remain in the background and unless you also do option 1 it will still be in Japanese.

Drop down monitor is not updated by option 1 and option 3 only impacts the front monitor so it will remain in Japanese, although if it's anything like the E51 there's very little actually in Japanese.

No idea if the Xanavi does anything to the rear monitor, but it's unlikely.

Option 4 is find an E52 without Nav and then you can fit a standard double din where the Nav display goes.

Following this one, there is a company in Estonia that can supply an upgraded unit to sort the Sat Nav out. Basically you send them £800 they then send you the replacement unit, after you have fitted it send you unit to them and get a refund around £200. Can't remember their name but I know a man that can.

Following this one, there is a company in Estonia that can supply an upgraded unit to sort the Sat Nav out. Basically you send them £800 they then send you the replacement unit, after you have fitted it send you unit to them and get a refund around £200. Can't remember their name but I know a man that can.
Xanavi

I’m wondering whether a Xanavi system with the Nifty city plugged into the back would give full Nissan media useage in English plus the use of Apple Play? Has anyone tried this?

That should work, although ask yourself if you really need more than just the English firmware from NZ. The extra functionality of the Xanavi kit is the satnav which will be rubbish compared to CarPlay.

That should work, although ask yourself if you really need more than just the English firmware from NZ. The extra functionality of the Xanavi kit is the satnav which will be rubbish compared to CarPlay.
Good point. I think CarPlay with firmware update is the way to go. Thanks

Xanavi.net have a Facebook page if you scroll down there is a video of an E52 with the system in it.

T
Xanavi.net have a Facebook page if you scroll down there is a video of an E52 with the system in it.
Thanks. I’ll check it out. I was wondering about this clock issue where it shows Japanese time. Will the Xanavi system sort it being that it’s related to the Sat Nav from what I can tell.

T

Thanks. I’ll check it out. I was wondering about this clock issue where it shows Japanese time. Will the Xanavi system sort it being that it’s related to the Sat Nav from what I can tell.
On the E51 the NZ firmware fixes the clock, so it should do the same for the E51.

Back