• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Can I convert the screens to English?

Hi all, if the head unit is replaced with an upgrade, how about the system setting language and what will it show up in on the head unit?
Am keen to get an Alpine audio unit with Apple Play and sat na, but wondering how the system languages will interface with the upgraded head unit.

New owner of 2012 Elgrand E52

Also forgot to mention that I am based in Melbourne Australia, can anyone recommend an Elgrand friendly workshop over in the outer Eastern suburbs?

I am pleased to say it’s all in and working like a dream. What can I say? I now have a fully functioning English speaking satnav that’s actually really good. I can now access all menus and functions (in English)

I am pleased to report that all of the 360 cameras still work perfectly. I can operate the rear screen and play any DVD front or rear

The clock facility allows you to adjust so the time is correct (see photo) all in miles per gallon now too as trying to convert that was a pain for me.

I’ve found so many other awesome features of the car too. I’ll post more info when I have time if of interest to anyone. Could do a little video of the menus if anyone would want to see it

I ordered the replacement switch panel too as I didn’t want to go for stickers. All in all a relatively easy install if you are used to taking things apart. Just need to be gentle with the panels and keep an eye out for hidden screws.

The customer service and communication was excellent from https://xanavi.net

They turned the whole thing around and got it to me from Estonia in less than two weeks. I wouldn’t be put off by their website. My daughter was convinced I was going to lose my money, but I couldn’t recommend their services high enough. Money well spent as it has transformed usability and added so much more functionality. I think it would increase saleability if I ever wanted to sell the Elgrand. Can’t ever see myself doing that though. Best car I ever owned in terms of functionality and comfort.

I still need to send the old unit back and get my deposit back. I’ll let you know how that goes.
View attachment 76975View attachment 76976View attachment 76977View attachment 76979
Result, looks the same as mine. Only remaining Japanese is in the tiny dash display above the outside temperature and the remote control buttons for the rear TV.

Mine came with the English handbook too. I’ve been told it was a full, professional switch over made by the importer on the sale to the first uk owner back in November 2021 so no
mucking about for me! Lucky I is.

Just had a thought ! When the Xanavi is fully installed does the mileomemitor read in KM or Miles. Thanks guys just getting to love this platform.
Tom
That’s good work mate.
I bought the disc that changes most of the language to English.
How much did this kit cost?
Dave

Also forgot to mention that I am based in Melbourne Australia, can anyone recommend an Elgrand friendly workshop over in the outer Eastern suburbs?
Got a Quote from a mob in the Gold Coast for a E51 Series 3, complete replacement, for AU$1400+. It's very pricey, so haven't gone down that path yet but it's very likely that that will be the only option.

Got a Quote from a mob in the Gold Coast for a E51 Series 3, complete replacement, for $1400+. It's very pricey, so haven't gone down that path yet but it's very likely that that will be the only option.
Either that or some portable Android unit with a suction cup, for AU$200-ish.

You can get a cd to change most of it for a lot cheaper.
www.caraudioworkshop.co.nz/nissanconversions

Yeah, was aware of that...but with the Bluetooth on my unit broken (button greyed out) and no way to fix it (despite following a few of the YouTube vids online), that need has become a little less critical now. The only thing the headunit/screen is useful for is the 360/birdseye camera view when reversing, and the few other nice-to-have displays like temp, aircon, fuel consumption (which I'm not even sure is accurate).

Hardly critical enough to fork out NZ$299 (AU$250) for, just to change the language. I mean, $250 can be better used for something else. Maybe someday.

Thought it important enough at first to change the whole thing, but this afternoon I managed to fit in a band expander (+28MHz) and was pleasantly surprised at the results...hence probably not needing a new headunit now, now that I can get Aussie FM radio. on the OEM radio. Only thing missing now in The Grand is Bluetooth for phone calls.

Hello @wiz0101

Great choice, I did the same - and many others have too. No one (that I have found) has lost money and @xanavi have been awesome in replying to questions etc.

I sent mine back (to their previous address in Russia), and all went well, deposit returned in full after a few days.

Rest easy :)

And for anyone wanting more detailed info on taking the dash apart, see the blog that @victor101 has been writing on his E52 experiences. There's a whole blog post on this very swap out right there.
Hi, Do you have a link to the dash disassembly, I couldnt find anything through a google search or clicking on his direct link
Thanks

Kurt

Hi from chilly Queensland Flo. I used to live in Melbourne. I bet it's not too balmy there at the mo ;)

Indeed. I made a bracket to do just that that fitted over the swing out screen but now only use google on phone so it was a wasted project.

Last edited:
I INSTALLED THE XANAVI CONVERSION {FULL ENGLISH EVERYTHING, EVEN VOICE RECOGNITION).
THE COST WAS ROUGHLY £700 WITH OLD UNIT SENT TO THEM FOR REFUND.
I GOT 20% XMAS DISCOUNT, BUT I BELEIVE IS CURRENTLY 15%.
CHECK PARTNER SITE LINKS ABOVE.

I DID CONSIDER AN ANDROID SYSTEM REPLACEMENT, BUT WAS TOLD IT WAS 50/50 WHETHER THE 360 DEGREE CAMERA SYSTEM WOULD STILL WORK, SO THE XANAVI IS THE ONE FOR ME.

Why can't we simply buy a new satnav and stick it on the dashboard
That's the lazy way to go about it ;) Plus then it negates the factory equipment and will probably look a bit unprofessional, with cables hanging down from an additional screen. But it's your toy. Put wings on it!

I went with an English language firmware upgrade. For satnav I use an android dash cam that has wireless android auto also.

I went with an English language firmware upgrade. For satnav I use an android dash cam that has wireless android auto also.
How much did the firmware update cost you out of interest?

It was £200 off eBay seller with English translation stickers for the stereo buttons but I have found out there are people on the Facebook groups that do it for £150.

Back