• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Can I convert the screens to English?

Hi guys! So I’ve been thinking about changing out my head unit to a Nakamichi double din head unit. So part of this upgrade would mean getting rid of the buttons below the head unit. I noticed there is another version of the panel without the buttons and where there is a small tray. Has anyone done this yet and know if it’s possible to get the panel with the tray? Check out the link here to see what I mean. What I have VS what I want

so from reading most of this forum I have now discovered that there is a slim chance of my sat nav changing. I saw a dvd on ebay that claimed to change the maps to English, has anybody tried this?

so from reading most of this forum I have now discovered that there is a slim chance of my sat nav changing. I saw a dvd on ebay that claimed to change the maps to English, has anybody tried this?
If you have a series 3 you can buy a complete replacement unit for about a grand. Series 1 or 2 nothing available.

I understand that the disks don’t work.
S1 and S2 need the head unit changing to a double din.
There is a unit available for the S3 to change the system but retains the stock facia and buttons

sorry for being thick I am new to all this but what is a double din?

sorry for being thick I am new to all this but what is a double din?
Double din is the standard radio fitment. The series 3 vehicles don't have a standard radio fitment but use a hard drive unit. So with a series 1 and 2 it's easy to swap out the radio for an after market unit.

Single DIN is 49mm high stereo unit, double DIN is 98mm high stereo unit. One DIN in old money is two inches. DIN is the unit of measurement used for identifying the height of technical equipment for rack mounting. Most car stereos before 1990 were 1 DIN , but these days the standard is 2 DIN ( double DIN ) 👍😉

Google translate is your friend

Or as they say in Japan

Google翻訳はあなたの友達です

Jay thanks for all your help on this we now have a plan and a team for any S3 owner that’s wants to do a full uk conversion, even if you don’t want to spend of the unit just yet. Will show it all done and dusted soon maybe try and take a video
HIya Newbie here,,I’m purchasing an s3 E51’s in a few weeks time,,hopefully and I’ve been looking at your thread for the English conversion,,,I was wondering how it finally worked out ,,when I finally get my Elgrand I would love to have the screens etc in English,,thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Conversion...796701?hash=item28484e82dd:g:UJwAAOSwiS9d4UMP E52

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Conversion...796701?hash=item28484e82dd:g:UJwAAOSwiS9d4UMP E51 s3

E52 s2 we don't sell on eBay, if you want it, contact me

Make offer 10% off and write "ElgrandForum" and we will accept your discount

1592211324133.png

If you want 20% off u can buy it directly from me via paypal, just contact me

Last edited:
Bought one of these units from Incartec.
Not cheap but works really well, provides Carplay on the original screens. Ok the resolution ain’t the best on a Series 2 screen but it's fine for maps and music. £250 for the unit connected via the rear RCA sockets. Using this unit means I haven’t had to buy a new double din facia and I’ve retained the original a DVD player and multichanger CD player which suits me. Joy stick control works fine although you can add a touchscreen overlay if you wish.
Just found this post whilst doing some research before picking up my Elgrand on Thursday and have been researching Apple friendly ways to get some ice working. I had previously found this same unit whilst scouring the internet. Doss this literally send the CarPlay interface out via the rca sockets? Did you just have to bypass the handbrake to get this to show on the screen all the time? Any feedback on how this worked for you would be amazing!!

Yea connects via RCA sockets and resolution is limited by the existing screen but its good enough. I use it with Apple Carplay and I am happy with it. I fitted two additional USB sockets to my dash, one is for the phone connection to the Cartizan unit and the second is for a memory stick connection. I’m currently using a hard disk drive full of my music.
I fitted the unit In the footwell under the drivers seat area. It requires an Ignition controlled 12v feed and a permanent 12 v feed. My Elgrand is a series 2 and as I don’t use the cigarette lighter point I stuck the joystick controller to an old cigarette lighter to USB adapter and plugged that into the cigarette lighter. No electrical connection but ideal spot for the joystick control. I also fitted a wiring mod bought from Amazon Japan that allows the screen to operate when the handbrake is off.
Hope this helps.

Yea connects via RCA sockets and resolution is limited by the existing screen but its good enough. I use it with Apple Carplay and I am happy with it. I fitted two additional USB sockets to my dash, one is for the phone connection to the Cartizan unit and the second is for a memory stick connection. I’m currently using a hard disk drive full of my music.
I fitted the unit In the footwell under the drivers seat area. It requires an Ignition controlled 12v feed and a permanent 12 v feed. My Elgrand is a series 2 and as I don’t use the cigarette lighter point I stuck the joystick controller to an old cigarette lighter to USB adapter and plugged that into the cigarette lighter. No electrical connection but ideal spot for the joystick control. I also fitted a wiring mod bought from Amazon Japan that allows the screen to operate when the handbrake is off.
Hope this helps.
This helps immensely - exactly how I was hoping for it to work. I won't use the cigarette lighter either, so will definitely check that out as a place to put the little rotary knob thing. Don't suppose you remember what the Amazon wiring mod was do you? Mine is also a Series 2 so should in theory be the same thing that I require.....

This helps immensely - exactly how I was hoping for it to work. I won't use the cigarette lighter either, so will definitely check that out as a place to put the little rotary knob thing. Don't suppose you remember what the Amazon wiring mod was do you? Mine is also a Series 2 so should in theory be the same thing that I require.....
(STV – N08 – 24P) Elgrand Land E51 Moving Viewable Kit TV DVD

(STV – N08 – 24P) Elgrand Land E51 Moving Viewable Kit TV DVD
Last thing (hopefully) did you manage to get that through Amazon UK, or did you have to use Amazon Japan? I can't find it listed on Amazon UK any more, and traversing Amazon Japan could lead to any number of accidental ordering errors. I'll have to give it a go if that's the only place to get it though - hopefully I can just order this exact product code (STV-N08-24P0) and the correct thing should arrive🤞

Back